In lieu of yesterday’s sarcastic and totally fake personals ad that some of you actually took seriously, I want to pass on some tips on the right way to write a personals ad for dating online.
Online Dating Profile Tips
1. Be honest with yourself. What are deal breakers? What must you have and what would you like to have? Try to express these and then you’ll be on a roll.
2. Be funny. Don’t take yourself too seriously, but at the same time don’t go over the top with lame jokes.
3. Don’t post a picture of yourself with your shirt off. Please…oh, and drop the pics of you and your best friend Suzy snuggling up in a restraurant booth together.
4. Don’t brag about your amazing book collection and please don’t tell me how much you love to have candlelit dinners and slow walks on the beach.
5. Pick an appealing username. Don’t kill yourself with a play on words…try a play on something like your street name or your dog’s name. Please, whatever you do don’t pick anything like “BigJohnForYou.”
6. BE REAL.
FYI: I refuse to do online dating again after my past experiences with eHarmony. And after all it’s Spring – there are men every where. The coffee shop, the book store, the park …
Here’s my list on the Top Spots for Single Mamas to Meet Men. Thought it deserved another look now that spring has sprung.
What are your profile writing tips? I am definitely not an expert…I am an expert browser. So I am an authority in telling guys what not to post, as most of us women are … but guys – what do you see on the other side in profiles that turns you off?