My King.

by mssinglemama on June 19, 2012

There are very few men on the planet like Seth.

Yes, he is tall, dark and handsome – and down right, scrumptious – and yes, he rides a motorcycle and plays guitar, but those are just a few pieces to the Seth puzzle.

He has friends or makes friends where ever he goes.

They may not even have met him in person, maybe only on Twitter, or maybe they had a brief encounter with him in the past, but there is no shortage of people on the planet who call Seth a friend. The reasons are clear to me, as the lucky girl who gets to spend my life with him but also as a casual observer, in awe by his overall awesomeness.

Here they are… I am sharing them because if we were all a little bit more like Seth the world would be a better place:

1. He harbors zero anger or resentment.

It all goes as it comes. And it’s not hiding inside of him somewhere, believe me, I’ve checked. The result is a man who has a clear understanding that he reminds me of every single day, “There is only one thing in life you can truly control and that is your reaction to the events and circumstances around you. The rest is completely out of your control, so don’t stress trying to change it.”

2. He loves. He really, truly loves.

Aside from my father, I have never, ever known a man who loves the way Seth does. This is the piece of Seth that I have the hardest time articulating. Being on the receiving end of his love is a gift. It really is. Every single day, I feel appreciated, respected and adored. And so do the kids. He’s just so wonderful, all of the time. He expects nothing of us, only that we wake up and be ourselves. No demands to change. No demands at all, in fact. As a result, we have an incredibly peaceful, happy household. Go figure.

3. He believes that change is good.

We are both always changing, he says, and as long as we change together, we’ll be just fine. As a result, he doesn’t fear the future or whatever it brings.

4. He doesn’t give a shit.

Remember Seth and I’s Halloween costume (cowboys and aliens)? I shot him in a bar and he dropped to the floor, dead as a door nail. He was completely in character. He could care less what anyone thinks about him and never, ever makes a decision based on what anyone else will think or say.

5. He never complains.

No matter how tall the stack of dishes, or the mess in the house, or the days upon days of never ending child rearing and all of the stresses that come with it, never has he ever complained. He appreciates his life, he appreciates our life. But with that he has the capacity to work for it without bitching about it.

6. He is an incredible father.

He has more patience with the kids then I do in my right pinky finger. He is absolutely awesome with each of them. His two are already reading chapter books. When they ask him about the moon or the stars, he asks them a question right back. And while he teaches them every day he also hugs them every day, he loves them every day, and he extends all of this love to Benjamin as if he were his own.

With that said, he totally loses his shit every once in a while, like every parent–it’s harmless though and usually involves a quick trip to the fridge afterwards for a beer. He takes this parenthood thing in stride and understands that our job is simply to do the best we can… they are, at the end of the day, unique little people temporarily in our care.

Happy Father’s Day (belated, I know), to the most incredible father and husband a girl could ever dream of having. He is our king.

Don’t forget to join us Thursday, June 21st at 9:00 PM (EST) for our second Google + Hang Out.

[Thanks to Medieval Times in Myrtle Beach for the crown.]

1. Polka dot love.

{ 2 trackbacks }

My King. | Women | Kenya
June 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm
Making The First Move - Sex, Lies & Bacon » Sex, Lies & Bacon
March 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Skye June 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm

You two are so lucky :)

Jacy June 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This describes my ‘Seth’ to a tee. Except the father part because, well, he doesn’t have kids… but he has been amazing at doing the delicate dance with his role in my son’s life.

I love this post. It made me smile. There are few men on the planet like our Seth’s :)

Kelly June 19, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I too have a “Seth”, and I too wake up every single day feeling appreciated, respected and adored. A love more true, pure and sweet than I ever imagined possible.

This love is a gift to our children, a reward for our pasts and a beacon of light for all those single mama’s who haven’t yet crossed paths with their Seth.

So, so happy for you!

Jacy June 20, 2012 at 1:07 am

Kelly,

Is your mans name really Seth? If so, that is CRAZY that there are 3 of us with boyfriends/husbands named Seth… and that we all feel the same about our truly amazing men.

Kinda cool if you ask me :)

Ms. Single Mama June 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm

It’s a GREAT name. Yummy Seths. ; ) Ha!

Chris R June 20, 2012 at 12:10 am

What a great post! As i have followed your story and have learned about Seth I can only say how happy for you that I am. As one of your single dad followers I can say its hard after a split/divorce to trust again. What you have said about him is so special. You are special for taking the time to notice that in him and that my friend is what makes you so special to him…

Im sure if he were to post he would have the same things to say…
~Chris R

Saila June 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

He really seems to be such a great guy. Good for you! I’m a new reader to your blog, I only found it yesterday and I’m glad I did. I’m 26 years old girl (woman?) from Finland and I have a five months old son. I left the father of the child a while back because of his aggressive behaviour and lazyness (no job and not even trying to get one). I really have had a hard time with all the different feelings over the break up including sadness, relief, guilt, anger etc etc so I’m really glad to read about your journey in a similar situation. You kind of give me hope. :) Maybe one day I will find my very own Seth… but until then I keep loving my son who is the love of my life.

Ms. Single Mama June 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

That’s the spirit Saila!!! Dig back into my archives, you’ll see it wasn’t easy to get to here. xoxo

Zakia June 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I LOVE this post, it reminds me so much of my husband. I am also a former single mommy and I really like your blog.

Judy June 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Tear… I love this post.

Sofia June 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hi! . Im also a 24 year-old single mom of a 5 months old baby girl and I have been single since we found out I was pregnant. Baby’s daddy wants to be there for her but since we broke up I have felt completely devastated. My pregnancy and these months have been really hard emotionally, I never thought I could feel all these together: anger, sadness, loneliness, frustration… but I know there are better things to come and your story brings hope to women like me.

I hope someday I can meet my own Seth and I feel happy for you because you finally found him!

Sheila June 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

What a great guy – I am really so happy for you.

Tania June 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

Does he have a twin? Sounds like such a great guy I’m happy for you (and a little jealous lol)

Samara July 16, 2012 at 12:07 am