Single Moms and Dads: Dating and Blending Family Advice

by mssinglemama on June 13, 2012

So… we had our first Google Hangout.

None of you were actually there to “hang out” with us. I’m not surprised, it’s a weird new medium and you’d actually be on camera!!! Talking directly to us. Totally freaky. But, so many of you there chiming in on Facebook, asking us questions on Twitter and we answered them all! Fun, fun, fun! Of course, we rambled a lot and fumbled with the camera and the computers. But overall, there is some very serious advice in here from Seth and I.

The topics tonight included:

Here’s the coolest thing about G+ Hangouts. Now it’s a YouTube video. Enjoy. And please,  join us for the next one.

Don’t miss our next Single Moms & Dads G+ Hangout:

Thursday, June 21st at 9:00 PM (EST).

We’ll be posting the link to the live YouTube video on Twitter.  Do you have questions for next week’s broadcast? How about how to pick up men? My favorite. ;  )

xoxo

1. Single Moms & Dating (the video)
  2. From Doomsday to Hot Single Dads.
  3. Single Moms and Love
  4. Single Moms & Married Moms
  5. Single moms are on fire.

LotusMommy June 13, 2012 at 10:29 pm

You guys nailed it!! I tried to join the hangout, but alas I’m not a nerd-ninja like Seth. Anyway, the point is, you answered the really big questions that we are all wondering about… casual dating, meeting the kids, Livingroom dates, online dating, text dating (I call it bullpenning)… but it was so valuable to hear each of your perspectives. I have never felt more affirmed as a single parent! I really appreciated your encouragement to “know what you want.” Is it weird that I trust my gut more when the blogosphere affirms me?

Anyway, I was really surprised to find myself nodding and laughing through the whole video. Seriously. Our stories are so similar, but maybe all the readers felt that way. Regardless, I’ll be watching for another G+ hangout soon.

Chris R June 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Very cool!!! Im so sorry I missed it! You answered a lot of tough questions and it was so cool to see and hear Seth! You guys bringing this to the next level of helping single moms and dads is amazing. I usually work both jobs a lot and may miss the sessions but will look at them.

I want to just say thank you for this and if i can’t join I can’t wait to see the next post! Please tell Seth I think its awesome how he helps our on your blog and thing that is really cool.

~Chris R

Hero June 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

Great video. I just found my new favourite blog!!

Abby June 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

I am not quite sure how to join the hangout either I do have a google+ account. I would love to join you guys next time, i know one big question I have is about single parents dating other single parents. It seems clear you and seth have a beautiful thing but it seems hard to find, in the meantime should I limit my options to only single Dads? Also with is it possible to date with several children,. I just get so intimidated who would want to date a mom with three little kids, I sometimes wonder if I should give up all together till their older?
Anyway i feel I have used up more than my share of comment space. I am just so psyched to finally find a site like this!!!!

mssinglemama June 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Abby, I’ll have Seth comment and explain. Because I’m not even sure how to join public hang outs.

Molly June 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing. I love that you were drinking a beer too.

mssinglemama June 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Yep!!! Had to loosen up a bit.

Seth Gray June 15, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Part of the problem was that I gave out the wrong link– the one we posted was for the YouTube live stream. I’ll make sure to grab the right link next time.

Here’s how Google says to join a Hangout: http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1349254

Glenda June 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think you guys are so cute together. Wishing you all the best always!

Liz June 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm

DAMN! I missed it! For some reason I thought it was tonight. I will try to join the next one.

Erin June 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I just met a really cool guy after very nearly deleting my OKCupid account, as well! Hit it off immediately. :) It’s always in the 10th inning, isn’t it?!?!

Emily June 15, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hey! Good for you for giving Google Hangouts a try! It’s not easy introducing something new to fellow bloggers and followers. The best of luck and a bigger following next time!

Dale Kathryn Grove June 15, 2012 at 5:08 pm

This is great. I have not used Google+ much however I understand it has some amazing advantages because of the link up with YouTube. Thanks for the inspiration to do some research on Google Hangouts! :)

Nataschia June 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for the video. You guys look so happy together! :)

Leslee June 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm

So glad you two decided to do this! I actually just re-did my Google+ account (I had one before but deleted it) so I can be a part of your next Hangout. Been reading your blog for a while now and love that Seth is involved with this, definitely helpful to get a male POV. And I know everyone else has already said it but you two are absolutely beautiful together!

A topic I would like to see possibly be covered more is online dating before you even get to the date – about what you should or should not put in your profile and / or pictures to make sure you are getting the right kind of attention (for what you are looking for) but also not scaring anyone away. Would be great to get a male perspective on this – maybe what interested in him as far as profiles go and what turned him off.

Ms. Single Mama June 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

This is such a great question… we will address it this week! Thanks, Leslee!

Sara @ catholicsingles.com June 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is a great post! Something we can share in my groups discussion!

Jenifer June 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This looks awesome! I hope I can finish my homework early tonight to listen in. :-)

KQ June 20, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Thanks for this. I actually have my first meet with someone from an online dating site this weekend, so this was very informative for that, and about dating w kiddos in general.

I put tomorrow’s hangout in my calendar so I’d be reminded and I hope not to miss it!

Shannon Kieta July 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

You guys ROCK!!! But you need to change your name to Mrs. Married Mama now! Just sayin’!!!! ~_~ Wishing all the best of Luck!!!! From a blended family to yours it’s hard, but so worth it!!! We are going on 10 years now!!!!

anton August 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I really love this one..Looking for partners? Why don’t you try this site? http://1mate.org/