With children piled high.

by mssinglemama on February 27, 2012

It’s bedtime.

We are finished reading. (I am obsessed with a few new books [new to us]. This one, this one and this one.)

At first we had some growing pains. Benjamin jealous of my time or attention, particularly at bedtime, to the other children. And now, he is changing, accepting and truly loving our new family.

Benjamin comes to me first, falling into me for a big, good night hug. Then Seth’s daughter and immediately after, his son. All three are piled high on me. I am, in fact, covered in a blanket of children.

And nothing could be finer.

A child’s heart, I’m seeing, has no bounds and children, unlike us baggage-ridden adults, can love without boundaries. Endlessly they love. All of their parents. The step parents and their real parents. It is incredibly humbling and awesome at the same time.

I have so much to learn from them.

1. When the children wonder.
  2. A Single Mom’s Guide to Finding a Manperson
  3. A love song?
  4. Kissing in front of the kids (gasp).
  5. Breaking News: A really, really cool single parent network!

Saira February 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Beautifully said! Thanks for sharing this private world of yours :) I’m really happy that you’ve found love again!!!

Sascha February 28, 2012 at 6:39 am

that one here http://www.amazon.com/Day-Animal-Doctors-Sharon-Rentta/dp/1407116460/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330428964&sr=8-2 is great too- my daughter is/was pretty interested in this one, because we had a rough winter-season of falling sick all the time :-/ doctors waiting room turned in our second living room in 2011- well i guess normal, cause we just started kindergarten last year august ;-)

Bibiana March 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm
SavoredLife February 28, 2012 at 7:23 am

One can never have too many people to love and be loved by. Children are wonderful examples of unconditional love. :)

Kate February 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Well said! I’m constantly amazed at the way my little blended family loves one another. My son is 6 and my fiancé’s boys are 8 and 9. I used to worry that the older boys would have a more difficult time accepting my only child, but they have all developed this awe inspiring loving relationship, born out of deep friendship. With all the information out there for single parents and step parents, I find it hard to find anything for blended families, so it’s refreshing (and inspiring) to hear about it from another formerly-single-mom’s point of view!

mssinglemama March 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Thank you, Kate!!!

Glenda February 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Love…our hearts just grow and expand to fit all of the children into it.
Beautiful post!

Mike February 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm

So when are you guys getting married? Or are you just shacking up for now?

Gappy February 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh that is so lovely – a blanket of children.

Have just discovered your blog – I can relate to how angry you must be for your friend in your last post too – it sounds as though she is being very strong.

Chris R February 29, 2012 at 12:17 am

Great post tonight. Kids are amazing and i’m so happy you found someone so caring. The post was simple to the point but touched my heart. I can see you know covered in kids laughing as they all jumped on with all their love…

rachael March 1, 2012 at 12:50 am

that’s awesome. good for you!

now. question time. i need advice over on my ole blog!!

Bibiana March 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I want to thank you for your blog it is a lot of help. I am a single mom just recently my son is 5 year old ,and am looking for single mom that can be my friend

Mai March 3, 2012 at 1:57 am

You know what I love about this post? That Seth is referred to as simply, “Seth.” Every other “new man” who entered your life had an alter ego of sorts (ex. John was a ‘bear.’) And of course every alter ego/nickname seem to fit that particular man, and more so after he’s out of the picture. But it doesn’t seem that Seth needs an alter ego, or a nickname, he is just Seth. Perhaps this means nothing, maybe it will down the line, maybe it won’t. Just thought it was interesting.

Mai March 3, 2012 at 1:57 am

mssinglemama March 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

You’re right! I hadn’t thought of that… but for Seth, the nicknames just didn’t stick. ; )

Mike March 5, 2012 at 6:44 am

How much welfare do you collect and was it worth getting preggo by a badboy?

mssinglemama March 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Zero. And haven’t had child support in 3 years now.

Bruce March 15, 2012 at 11:58 am

I learn from my children to this day…. IM amazed, impressed, and they are a refreshing way to keep things real and keep me grounded.

Asian girls dating sites March 17, 2012 at 5:00 am

Man nice to be at your blog again.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!

Shannon Kieta March 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

WOW~ I have not been on here in a very long time. I am so happy to see that you have found love again! It is exceptionally hard when you have “other” children involved. When I met my husband 9 years ago, he had had 2 boys, then 1 1/2 and almost 3. His ex-wife cheated on him, took everything out of the house while he was working a 12 hour shift one night and never looked back. When he came home from work, his house was empty his kids were gone, and his entire world was turned upside down. She had been cheating on him for some time and he had NO CLUE. The very next day, he filed for divorce and moved on with his life. I met him about 6 months later. It was hard with the kids and the family, but here we are nearly 10 years~ 2 children later. We have proven all the skepticals WRONG! So, I am here to tell you that you can make it work and there is NOTHING more special than a blended family. There will be hard times, but you work through them and it makes you stronger. Good Luck with your new relationship! You deserve all the best life has to offer! ~_~

Sparkle April 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I love this! Thank you for sharing! I am currently going through a divorce & have in recent months reconnected with someone very special to me from my past. He has two young boys from a previous marriage and I have three children from mine. I was worried that he would have an issue since that makes FIVE kids but hell, he’s showing me that he doesn’t at all and there have been quiet murmurs about a SIXTH (way down the line of course). I don’t think the # is the issue (I mean I’m not talking the Duggar family here), but it’s the person you have these children with that makes all the difference. I wouldn’t call my ex-husband “father” material but boy did he sure harp on about making them!

Pinay WAHM Blogger April 1, 2012 at 5:31 am

Wow. You really write something inspiring every time you post something here although when one reads it, it’s sounds like simple story-telling only. I can feel how happy you are in your post and I know this will last. Good luck to you guys!

anton August 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I really love this one..Looking for partners? Why don’t you try this site? http://1mate.org/