My apologies to NYC.

by mssinglemama on November 28, 2011

I have an apology to make to New York City.

I am sorry for doubting you and jumping to conclusions after my last visit.

I’m not sure what happened, maybe it was the hot weather (100+) and the wrong neighborhood choice (Times Square), but this time I had a completely different experience. We were in Greenpoint, a Polish neighborhood in Brooklyn, where my sister, Anna, and her husband, Ryan, are living until he finishes law school.

The first night Benjamin woke up and started puking. He had the flu, most certainly and unavoidably. And there we all were the next day, on Thanksgiving, staring at each other and wondering in horror when we would all start doing the same. That got old after the first hour so we proceeded as planned and Anna and Ryan made a delicious Thanksgiving Feast.

On Friday morning, having managed to keep it all down, we woke up thinking we had narrowly avoided Benjamin’s flu and we headed ou to Union Square.

We handed the camera to Benjamin in the subway and he took this one of us… (I LOVE it).

Things were going well at that point. But as soon as we got there, the man who has yet to be named (vote on his nickname at the end of the post) started feeling it.

You can see the pain in his face in this picture. Trying. To. Hold. On.

In the meantime, Anna and I kept playing with Benjamin. With one down, we knew we couldn’t be far off. We should have quarantined ourselves, I know. You are all going to yell at me when you see us out in public, poisoning the air of New York City.

But at the time, we felt fine.

And you know that big shiny thing is covered with everyone’s germs anyway. Because who can really stay cramped up in those teeny, tiny little NYC apartments for very long? Definitely not this guy.

But after the slide… Mr. Yet to Be Named retreated back to the apartment with Benjamin, who still wasn’t 100%.

Being a dad himself means he is completely and absolutely awesome at the kid stuff. So, Anna and I stayed back for some shopping and some one-on-one sister time.

She took me to all of her favorite places. And we imagined what it would be like to actually live in the same city. One day. Not yet, but one day. Or at least, the same nursing home. If we don’t end up together again some day I won’t consider my life complete.

Because she’s my sister soul mate.

We spent a lot of time talking about the ironies of relationships past and the joys of relationships present and how, clearly, I should be fired from writing a blog about relationships. You all know why, she knows why, I know why – because I so adamantly insisted everyone should settle and persuaded myself that John was it for me.

“Don’t say that!” I said. “I shouldn’t be fired, it’s my blog. I can’t fire myself from writing about my life.”

“You’re right. It’s your blog,” she added, “and you’ve always said that. You’ve always said that you’re just writing about your experiences, not anyone else’s. And it’s your perspective.”

After a few more hours of shopping Anna and I started feeling it.

We had received word from the apartment that both Ryan and Mr. ? were officially losing it from all exits. We grabbed some Gatorade, Pepto and went home, dreading our impending doom. And sure enough, with a mother’s timing, it hit me just minutes after I tucked Benjamin into bed.

But at least the little shit was happy the entire time.

And in the midst of it all, Mr ? did not complain, not once. We all just took it and still managed to have fun – because we were with each other. And for that, I was incredibly thankful. But again, it appears, NYC and I have an ill-fated relationship. We’ll be back again, soon enough… in the meantime, what should my man’s name be? See pictures of him (when he’s not about to puke) here in my latest photo album.

So, let’s name him.

Leave a comment with your idea or if you like any of these, say so in the comments. Here are my favorites:

1. The Dude – because he is the dude. He is a singer/songwriter, rides a Harley, is tall, dark and handsome and all kinds of sexy, but at the same time he is absolutely gentle, sweet and kind.

2. Mr. Single Dad

3. TDH (for Tall, Dark and Handsome)

4. Mr. Mr. (I don’t know why, but I like this one)

I have thought of all of the cliche names like Mr. Right, Mr. Prince Charming, but they just don’t fit.

As always, I have total veto power because it’s my blog. Muh-ha-ha-ha… but haven’t decided on any of these yet. So fire away.

1. My Disclaimer & My Apologies.
  2. On Weddings
  3. The news.
  4. Unreal
  5. Happily Ever After?

{ 1 trackback }

On the other sideā€¦ | DatingWithaSecret.com
January 28, 2012 at 3:54 am

Bribedell November 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Im tore between Mr. Mr. & TDH!

Anj November 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Think I’m drawn towards Tdhsd. Tall dark handsome single dad.

Anna November 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Is “Curly” too obvious? What about “Dimples”? Of your choices, I like TDH. I’m all about the acronyms.

Ally November 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm

How about Mr. Fun Dimples or Mr. Sexy Smile?

Jamo's Mama November 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I think that Mr. Single Dad goes so well with Ms. Single Mama. Call him Mr. SD for short….although that could be confused with South Dakota…

Samantha November 29, 2011 at 12:21 am

I am so happy for you and Mr. Mr. (that’s my vote) and that you are writing again! You look positively happy and more than anything…peaceful.

Like you said in your post, this is your blog! And the best part about your blog was that it was always real. In real life, relationships don’t always work out and that’s okay. Your loyal and supportive readers don’t care that you “got it wrong” with John Bear. The story is that you moved forward and you are doing what is right for you and Benjamin. Continue to tell your story because personally, I’d much rather read about the good AND the bad and the rights AND the wrongs.

Glad to see you enjoyed NYC…as a Brooklynite myself, you saw the best borough this time around :)

Amy November 29, 2011 at 12:50 am

Mr. Mr for sure! But maybe mister mister..spelled out?!? Or Mr. Mister

Shelby November 29, 2011 at 4:03 am

oooh i love mr. mr! its charming and endearing.

mssinglemama November 29, 2011 at 7:55 am

I love Mr. Mr. also… love Amy’s idea of Mr. Mister. Very Cool!!!!

amy s (OH) November 29, 2011 at 8:16 am

I like Mr. Mr.
He’s so cute. I’m really happy for you!
How did you two meet? I got out of a long-term relationship and am looking for love. It’s been so long that I have no idea where to meet single men anymore.

Cathleen November 29, 2011 at 9:41 am

I am still stuck on the fact that three people (one child) with the flu were out on the playground with no coats in NYC placing everyone at risk of getting the same thing you all KNEW you had! Way to try to change the subject Ms. Single Mama, nice try! 3 demerits for you AND 3 for Mr. Mr.!

Jennifer November 29, 2011 at 11:06 am

Cathleen…really? As laughable as your post is, go get a hobby! We are at risk everyday for illnesses, regardless!! You know at work, school, daycare, the mall…where we are in contact with millions of germs.

mssinglemama November 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

It’s okay, Jennifer. She’s right. Shame on us. We are flu spreaders… we thought by being outside in the fresh air and by washing our hands about every 10 minutes that would help prevent the spread. But yeah, we were traveling and didn’t want to stay cooped up in her apartment. Bad us.

sunjib July 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

Well, what to say, I am open-minded fun loving guy, but not of course at the cost of privacy. Would love to enjoy sex discreetly with sex loving girl who really want to enjoy it and make it colorful with all kinda variations and same time be a nice friend. Sex can be made colorful if u know the ART..But Privacy comes first…If u really wana enjoy it and make ur sex life colorful discreetly. lets b friends. No compromise with personal exposure in public, should be totally discreet.

A good friendship and understanding are prime requirements. If you are Sexy decent girl add me and u may contact me directly. Catch me if u want to enjoy the heavenly taste of Sex as a friend only! add me on yahoo IM if yr interested

kris November 29, 2011 at 11:30 am

Mr. Mr. for sure.

Elle November 29, 2011 at 11:59 am

Personally, what I find hilarious (read: sad) is the fact that you went from “I’m going to be private about this relationship” and “I’m going to be very cautious about his introduction to my child” and “don’t worry, we’re going to take this SOOOOO slow” to “hey let’s all go on a trip together on a holiday and have my child watch another one of mommy’s boyfriends casually traipse into her bed and then post the whole thing on my blog!” Kudos on those super hypocritical statements and even more on those stellar parenting skills. Don’t apologize to NYC, apologize to your kid.

Michelle November 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Really Elle. Live and let live. I believe Ms. Single Mama is old enough to make her own decisions. I do believe she already has a Mama and doesn’t need another one. If you don’t like what you are reading, why do you continue to read? No one cares about your NEGATIVE comments. It just shows what kind of person you are.

Someonewhoknows November 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

You again? Really? You troll your sorry ass back to the blog, so you can spout your worthless drivel? Aye. Don’t you have the tools to find something else to do with your time than be a jealous bitch?

Glenda November 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

mr mister

Lindsey November 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hey!! Ryan’s brother lives in greenpoint too!! Glad to hear that Anna is doing well- looking forward to your party next month! (my vote is for Mr. Mr. too;)
xoxoxox,
Lindsey

Real Estate Signs November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm

How’s Benjamin’s health now? and how was your Thanksgiving day? In your posted pictures it looks like there was sunny day after the 100!

renra November 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

wow .. your article can become an inspiration for me. I really liked your article. Thank you.

Meghan November 30, 2011 at 2:43 am

Hi! Great post! I guess, in true honesty, I was one of those people that could have been labeled as a negative commenter when you first posted about this relationship. To clarify, I wasn’t dissing this particular relationship, but just sharing my two cents about men that you have an insta-bond with. There are some hard lessons I had to learn the difficult way, that i wish I was saved the liberty and turmoil I ultimately had to experience.

With that said, I wish this relationship all the great juju in the world! I really hope my comments weren’t taken in one fell swoop about “don’t do it” but more “please do it, but do it with caution and optimistic hope.” My point is, I would do the EXACT same things I did in my past relationship – I don’t regret that. Although, I would proceed with a bit more caution, honesty, and reality that one guy cannot fix it all.

In the end, it looks like you are really happy. And he looks great. I think (ahem!) I am a great reader of “energy” via people’s body language – and let’s just say he is 100% better fit for you than John. You can just see it in your own body language and energy.

Finally, as for his name. You have got to have something that references his dimples! They are adorable and most men don’t have those. That is rare.

But, I think the Dude is great. (Think “The Girl Who” with Serge). It makes for a great, comedic name that goes well with all stories in the future. It sets a sense of intimacy and friendship and makes people smile!

So that’s my vote!

-M

PS. If you go with public opinion, I guess Mr.Mr. is okay. But is sounds pressure-laden and ulrealistic. The Dude is charming, tongue-in-cheek and friendly!

steph memyselfandkhai November 30, 2011 at 6:39 am

Oh its gotta to be mr mr!

Stac November 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

I’m voting for The Dude.

Lee November 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

The DD (Delicious Dad)

But The Dude is pretty good too. But he is so fine and delicious!!! Not hard on the eyes at all!

Angi November 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I like “The Fox” from the sticker in your album! Very fitting! :)

Lori November 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

How about The Man?

Kate November 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I like The Dude.

Keylla November 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

hi there! i love the content on your page. i am definitely gonna add it to my daily checking of sites. i am too a single mom and hope to find inspiration and follow you through your journey of life.

Eva December 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Mr. Mr.

he deserves it :)

you guys are champs.. nothing worse than that darn stomach bug.. yuck

Eva December 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Mr. Mister.. just read that and love it more :)

Lisa December 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’m going to have to say Mister Dude
:D

veronica December 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

My sister leaves in Greenpoint Brooklyn too. beautiful neighborhood. You cant compare it to Times square. Its very hip and its a young crowd.

Ginger December 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm

The Dude :)

Natasha December 5, 2011 at 11:48 am

I vote The Dude. :-)

Lauran December 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I had this exact Thanksgiving once! We all puked all weekend, children and adult. It was awful and funny. And my best friend, soul sister, was there as well. :) I like Mr. Mr. BTW.

SANTANA WALLACE December 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I THINK MR. DROP TOP… SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF HAIR, BUT THE FACT THAT CONVERTIBLES ARE SEXY, FUN, EXCITING, AND A LITTLE DANGEROUS, BUT MOST ARE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH TO SLIDE RIGHT INTO ;)

SANTANA WALLACE December 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

WOW ELLIE IS BITCH… JUS SAYING… I THINK YOU, ELLIE “( READ SAD)” LOL NEED TO SPREAD YOUR CHRISTMAS CHEER SOMEWHERE ELSE… YOUR GETTING COAL LITTLE MEAN GIRL…

Liz @ Welcome to the Juggle December 8, 2011 at 2:15 am

I’m torn between Mr. Mr. and Mr. Single Dad (it’s a nice compliment to your name).

Even with the flu, it looks like you had a great trip! And how great are sister soul mates?! I have one & I have no idea what I would do without her.

As always, thanks for keeping it real MSM!

PS – shut the hell up, Ellie.

Aussie Krys December 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Hi all

I agree that the “hater’s” should just leave… if you don’t like what you read, if you don’t agree with the politics, if you have different moral standards…. see you later!

My personal favourites are Mr Man (I can my cat this sometimes) and I like DDG (drop dead gorgeous).

Love your blog… xx

Frannie December 9, 2011 at 4:43 am

Apology excepted… New york definitely has is great and worst moments. summer time everyones out and annoying like hell. during the fall and spring is the best time. Not too much people out and good weather.

I think we should call him TDH

Alleinerziehende January 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

Nice story and great pictures.
I think we should call him “The Dude”

C April 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm