The secret to love

by mssinglemama on May 19, 2011

Had a conversation with Benjamin today that had my head spinning about the birds and the bees and all of that jazz for hours. It went something like this.

“Stacey was mad at me today.”

“Why, Honey?”

“Because I told her I wasn’t going to marry her anymore and that I was going to marry you instead.”

“Well, you can’t marry me Benjamin.”

“Why not?” (completely disappointed).

“Because, boys don’t marry their moms. They marry other girls.”

“Well, then I’ll marry Kate. She’s cute.”

“Oh yeah? Really?”

“Yeah, she’s a real cute, cute girl. I really, really love her and I really do want to marry her.” A pause and then, “She chases me every day on the playground. She’s always just chasing me.”

“She is?”

“Yep. And I always run away. I just keep on running.”

—-

A game of chase. And so it begins…

1. A reminder and a secret.
  2. Secret Code
  3. Dogs, Muppets and a Secret
  4. Love
  5. I LOVE being a single mom.

Megan@TrueDaughter May 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Well, that’s adorable…and accurate.

Andrea May 20, 2011 at 2:13 am

My daughter who is 4.5 says the same thing. Me: “What did you do today during recess?” Ella: “I chased Seamus”…pause…”and Tyson and Evan.”…pause…”and they all chased me too.” Me: “Why?” Ella:”Because we like each other. That’s what girls and boys do when they like each other.”

Should I be concerned there are 3 boys she likes to chase? :)

Jennifer May 20, 2011 at 2:50 am

Noah just turned 5 and said that I can’t date because he’s going to marry me. At least he said when you take a girl out on a date you go to a nice restaurant. I was afraid to ask what ‘nice’ was to a 5 year old! lol

Even more hilarious is that he thought kissing is marriage, and babies shoot out your arms and then they tape them back on. This is a great age!

mssinglemama May 20, 2011 at 8:51 am

This is the best age! I am loving it.

Momma Sunshine May 20, 2011 at 5:00 am

“Chase” is a very popular game with my girls and their friends on the playground as well. Funny how that is..

Jamie May 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm

So funny that you posted this. My son was just telling me this morning that he likes girls (he is 4 1/2).

Marilia May 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Words of wisdom form a 5 year old. Does it mean it´s ok to chase boys? Will they stay with us in the end? (Ben should answer to this, after his 30s)

Rosalyn May 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Maybe, this is why I am single. I am still playing 4 year old games at 28. I chase boys and they run. This is a pattern I am changing!

Memoirs of a Single Dad May 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

We do learn at a young age…and so do girls!

Logan Chelsea May 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I am a former-single mother and I LOVE your blog! Where were you two 1/2 + years ago! jeez!
Your son is just too cute! I can’t wait till my little ones get to that age!

Michele May 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Its all pretty simple isn’t it?! Leave it to a child to explain the world to us.

Alice X May 25, 2011 at 2:56 am

Aw this is cute, he makes marriage sound so simple :)

Sassy Single Mom May 28, 2011 at 8:47 am

Hilarious …

I remember when my son had his first “girlfriend” … I think it was first grade. The girl told everyone that they were “together” and it created so much excitement in his class – the next day, my son said he broke up with her because he didn’t like all the attention. LOL So, it was very short lived. He said he didn’t understand why she had to tell “EVERYONE.” Ha …

He’s in 5th grade now, and though he has crushes, no more “girlfriends.” =)

The Exceptional Woman May 30, 2011 at 4:05 pm

And so the dance begins…our sons want to marry us too, such a wonderful compliment. Isn’t funny how early the girls chase our little boys? Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Lei May 31, 2011 at 8:40 am

hi! I’m a single mom to a active 5year old boy =) I love this article, although my son has yet to mention girls, but I do notice that he somehow has an “accurate” radar for women in sexy outfits, geez! anyway, may I repost your article in Facebook? I believe it’s really funny and my girlfriends would have a blast with it. thanks and more power to your blogsite…I absolutely love your articles!

GADEL July 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

That’s the beginning of a life long story of love I guess. Hmm. Kate might be the lucky girl for your son in the near future.

SamanaMama July 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Adorable story!
I am dreading the day my daughter comes home with a crush. All I know is she better be the one who’s getting chased and not the chaser! lol

=)

anton August 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I really love this one..Looking for partners? Why don’t you try this site? http://1mate.org/