Different Shoes

by mssinglemama on May 5, 2011

This morning I forced Benjamin to watch Mr. Rogers. He had a rough day at school yesterday and Mr. Rogers seems to help. Mind control, brain washing, whatever you call it – it works. Especially when there’s a need to counter a weekend filled with Transformers and Star Wars Clone Wars – guilty. (we slipped up, it was raining for the 20th day in row).

Mr. Rogers went shoe shopping and asked all of the children (his viewers) to imagine being in someone else’s shoes for a moment, to be in the shoes of a friend or a neighbor.

I find being a mother the most difficult and most rewarding job I’ve ever had. Teaching lessons like empathy and understanding of each other… that’s up there in my “How in the heck do I do that?” file. Thank God for Mr. Rogers.

After Mr. Rogers and some play time, Benjamin got dressed for school and put on his sandals because he’s outgrown his tennis shoes.

“He needs some new shoes,” I said to John Bear.

“Okay, today then – we’ll go and get you some new shoes, Buddy.” John Bear says to Benjamin. The two of them are completely bonded again. It’s as if John and I were never apart and that completely terrifies me and excites me at the same time. We are a family. Thick with love and bonds that we can’t even break ourselves. Not that any of us are trying.

Instead of running from our issues John and I are now working through each of them as they come. One by one. Checking them off and growing as we move forward. There will be no running anymore.

“New shoes for my little guy. Again?” I say in shock. Benjamin is looking up at both of us, still blissfully unaware of the fact that his life is just beginning, that there is so much more after this. He is the Now.

And it’s so hard to believe his feet were this size two years ago.

His feet may have changed but this tough, little exterior of his is still exactly the same.

But inside of that little guy is the biggest, sweetest heart.

When I picked him up from school after his morning of Mr. Rogers Benjamin’s teacher said he had a “very good day” and said Benjamin had gone out of his way to comfort two injured comrades on the playground. He hugged them and even made them laugh through their own tears to cheer them up.

The Mr. Rogers full episodes are all here.(Thanks to my Mom for that tip).

As for the shoes, we got him another pair of Chuck Taylors.

1. What do jerks and shoes have in common? Heels.
  2. Conversations with Benjamin
  3. Out with the old
  4. May the force be with you
  5. Man Shopping

Lex May 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thanks for that. I think a little Mr. Rogers is good for any little kid. Glad they have episodes online!

Thrifty Vintage Chic May 5, 2011 at 12:09 pm

aw … doesn’t it just melt your heart with love and pride that they are achieving and evolving as good people? As for chuck taylors’ … my son wears them, too, we both love the look on him. BUT, the hi-tops, which we have can be impossible for a child to get into on their own. Well, after a couple weeks of going over and over the same lesson of how to loosen the shoe strings, and then how to individually tighten each row, I come out this morning to help him put his shoes on and he already had it done — no help, no fuss. Just him, on his own. And, to my surprised and proud statement, he replies: well, you’ve been teaching me how to do it! (and so I have, but I guess I got used to being a broken record …)

Karissa May 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I still love Mr Rogers. My son thinks he is boring. Love Chuck Taylors too :)

Wish we could view the episodes online here in Canada :(

Sharri May 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I’m raising a not so little guy too – and it’s so hard to find that balance between the tough guy and the gentle guy. Glad to hear I’m not alone…

Sang D May 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

“I find being a mother the most difficult and most rewarding job I’ve ever had. Teaching lessons like empathy and understanding of each other… that’s up there in my “How in the heck do I do that?” file.”

Love this statement! Smoothly worded!

grace @ahead May 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

cute story! it’s the first time i’ve read about mr. rogers, clicking the link to know more! thanks for sharing!
I hope you can also check out our site at
http://www.aheadinteractivetutorial.com. thanks!

Single Mom in New England May 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

Yay! What an uplifting post! Thanks for sharing! I am so happy to hear you and JohnBear are back together and working towards a future as a family again! Very exciting! Cheers to you on this beautiful Friday! :)

Sassy Single Mom May 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

What a heartwarming post! Thanks for sharing those victory mommy moments. For those times, when we don’t have the answers, we can still go and FIND them. =)

Anna May 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for the link and reminder about Mr. Rogers. Always looking for things to show my son with autism how to gain some empathy and manners, and we watched half an episode before bed the other night, and he was entranced! I wish I could show it to my middle-schoolers at work. They desperately need some manners in the worst way (and lessons in how to speak to adults).

TODDLERS May 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

cutie little guy, He must have noticed that the two of you are starting to lit up that chemistry again for him..

J.A June 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I have a daughter that is graduating. This last year of school was the toughest year .So much distractions theses days in school. She carried a 91 avg ,could only imagine her grades if there wasnt all the drama of high school.very nice read.