A new room.

by mssinglemama on February 3, 2011

Just days after he left, I completely re-arranged my room. I had to. It’s a thing I have. Visibly wiping away the evidence, the memories.

This is the result.

My Mom found the lamp at a thrift store, along with the poster. We’re not finished yet. I still have some stencils from West Elm waiting for the wall. Maybe some leaves creeping up the wall. As soon as the new Cement Marketing office is finished…

Today, the sun was actually shining.

It didn’t melt the ice, but it made me smile. Benjamin was wondering why his bed was so warm. As I was pulling off his dirty sheets he asked, “How do you make everything so warm, Mommy?”

“Me? No, it’s not me, it’s the sun.”

“Oh!”

We both look out the window and feel it and see it. Sunshine.

I can’t wait for Spring. Five or six more weeks, we can hope. I can’t wait to see my room in the Spring, when the windows are open and there’s a breeze. Maybe some new dresses hanging in the closet.

And although I admittedly considered it, I haven’t thrown away this picture yet. I can’t bear to look at it now, but I know that soon enough I will be able to… so I’m keeping it. It’s all about hope.

But for now, I remain committed to nourishing my emotional self back to health. So my room is my Valentine’s Day present to myself.

[Those trinkets and jars and plates on my dresser - all found by Mom in her thirfting journeys. I found the photo at a garage sale years ago. Wrote a post about it in what seems like another life time now.]

Stay tuned for a Valentine’s contest just for all of you. I’ll announce it soon.

1. The Living Room Date
  2. No room for a man…literally.
  3. Wanna get a hotel room? And other dating horror stories.
  4. Your domain
  5. Evidence

Megan@TrueDaughter February 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Your room is very peaceful and relaxing! Do you have a “no kid junk in here” rule? I have one, but no one abides by it! Our room is a nightmare. I try to pretend it is shabby chic – but really it’s just shabby. Old lady bedroom – *shiver*. I really need to do something like this – just because we deserve it. Love the way it looks!

amy February 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I want to go thrifting with your Mom! We share similar tastes. Your room is looking lovely, good for you for claiming it as YOUR SPACE.

Momma Sunshine February 4, 2011 at 5:33 am

I love thrift shopping!!! :-) Your mom’s got a great eye.

I’m glad that you’re building a space all for yourself. You need that.

*hugs*

Star February 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

Your mom is the QUEEN of thrift shopping! I’m SO jealous! Wish I had a person to go find me come cool stuff AND organize the hell out of my house. I’m a DISASTER!!!! :)

liz February 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Love the lamp! I like to re-decorate post break up too, it makes everything seem a little bit better (and is a lovely distraction)

Savored Life February 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Muse’s rendition of “Feeling Good” is playing in my head for you…
;)

Anna February 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Very important step. I did the same — new bedding and all. There’s some feng-shui thing about salt, too, if you can’t replace your mattress… And giving gifts to yourself is one of the best things about being single.

Sarah February 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

You are doing well Ms. Single Mama.
You need someone to tell you that and please tell yourself that!

Holly February 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I almost cried when I read your blog today- – -the last time I looked it was right before christmas and you were talking about some exciting contest and about the new house! I love love your blog have your necklace and even won a fantastic Homage t-shirt!! I was really hopeful about you & john and am so sorry to hear the news. . . As a single mama of a 1 year old son I honestly look to you for inspiration . . I too want the wedding, more babies, the house . . (or at least I think I do) — good luck and enjoy the one2one time with Ben! you are very strong!

Vanessa February 9, 2011 at 12:22 am
Karissa February 9, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I ordered a new bedding set the week after my husband moved out… We are just separated right now but since I don’t know what the future holds I follow your blog and read your book in 2 days… I’m ready no matter what ;)

Henry James February 11, 2011 at 2:51 am

Good for you.. very nice and warm bed.
Good luck.. :)

Tyese Smith February 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Love the room. I totally get the “do over.” If I change my room one more bleeping time,,….. Great look. Maybe, I should head to the thrift stores this weekend.

Happy Creating.

M!SS Natalie February 21, 2011 at 12:13 am

“If I change my room one more bleeping time…”

I hear ya on that one!!

M!SS Natalie February 21, 2011 at 12:12 am

Peehaps rearranging my room is just what I need! My breakup was a week before Valentine’s Day. I am not a stranger to single Vdays – been single every one since my son, no matter my relationship status the rest of the year! (My son is 6 btw)

I have been thinking of replacing my comforter. Maybe a room redo is just what I need. Wipe the slate clean :)

terri February 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm

your room looks so peacefull. I love it. I recently changed my room around and got new bedding. i still need to paint. i am newly single after 17 years. I have 3 teenage boys. i love your blog. it is very refreshing.

laptops March 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Wonderful bedroom and the light comes everywhere from. Really fantastic!

cheap dating March 25, 2011 at 3:47 am

that is the real one article I like it very much thanks for the posting I am gonna send it to all my friends list.

Pilily December 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

I love your honesty i don’t know if a lot of ppolee can handle it sometimes because of their past I truly find myself amazed by the fact that you have really dealt and still are dealing with each and every one of these issues daily writing about it will speed the process up. In a twisted way I find it comforting to know I wasn’t the only one who has gone through some stuff ..Just another way in which we match up Keep them coming Krista ! You are doing an amazing job!