Here Kitty, Kitty

by mssinglemama on January 20, 2011

Benjamin is requesting a kitty.

I want to oblige him.

Even though I know we would have to name it Rebound.

Still… a cute little kitten can’t hurt anyone. The last two were kidnapped by the neighbor lady, so we have plenty of extra room. And that sad pet commercial with Sarah McLaughlin is killing me.

She’s right. We should help. Maybe two cats? Just so they can keep each other company.

And I love cats. I like how they cuddle and purr and clean up after themselves.

Or, a gold fish.

He has also been asking for a gold fish.

Which will it be? A gold fish, a cat, two cats… or all three? Tomorrow night it’s happening. Benjamin will have a pet of one kind or another.

You decide what kind, because I still feel a bit disoriented about making any permanent decisions.

1. Single Mom Rules to Live By? Ideas?
  2. Total Betrayal
  3. Flirty texts… go away.
  4. Fish Bowl Effect

Amy January 21, 2011 at 12:14 am

My vote is a cat, but then comes a (dun, dun, dun)…. litter box. Are you up for that? If not, get the fish! ;)

Amy

Sunny January 21, 2011 at 12:15 am

How about a Beta fish?

The commitment level is pretty low, they’re pretty and don’t require tons of food and accessories (and they don’t live more than a year and a half – our household record).

And Sarah McLaughlin is evil. She makes me cry with her commercials.

Paula January 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

My beta is going on four years … it is our first one too!

Anna January 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm

The beta I had as a child lived quite a long time, but they are great because they don’t require a huge tank like a goldfish does. Goldfish bowls are not for goldfish.

Ann Marie January 21, 2011 at 12:25 am

I vote for a kitty. We had our beloved Rosie for 7 years before she had an untimely death this past summer. Cats are self sufficient yet sweet. Recently I adopted a Westie puppy- who is now best pals with my son. Surprisingly it has been a good experience, although I crate him during the day while I work. Perfect puppy for our situation. We have never ever had luck with any type of fish. Good luck :-)

Kathryn January 21, 2011 at 12:25 am

If you hold a mirror up to a male Beta fish, it is very entertaining. Cats have litter boxes, but they cuddle and purr, too. :)

robin~ January 21, 2011 at 1:01 am

I got a kitten a few months after my ex moved out (we already had a pair of cats plus a dog that was being re-homed ’cause I couldn’t handle her on my own). It was the first pet I got all on my own, and it was rather liberating. I also felt like it was silly, but it ended up being one of the best decisions ever. A month or 2 after getting him (when the dog had been re-homed for a few weeks already), one of our older cats had a stroke. It was a horrible few months dealing with her decline, and I was so grateful that I’d already taken the plunge of getting a pet on my own because he brought so much light into the house at a difficult time (and was so sweet to our sick kitty). Plus, it turned out that the sister of the newest kitten needed a home, too, so we ended up taking her in soon after my first baby girl kitty passed on and the new baby girl kitty has become one of my most favorite things in the whole world (her brothers are pretty cool, too) =)

oh, and, if you do get a kitty, I highly recommend getting a pair of littermates. They keep each other company and it makes for very happy cats – plus my 2 boys like that there’s one cat for each of us ;-)

Lesli January 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Littermates are great!! But kittens just all on their own are pretty fabulous, too.

kasia January 21, 2011 at 1:44 am

Oh my god- I almost spit out my wine in laughter at the idea of naming the kitty rebound. Woman, you are hilarious and RESILIENT.

Maybe you should name the kitty Res. as in short for Resilient. Which you, and Benjamin are.

Momma Sunshine January 21, 2011 at 5:26 am

My girls and I adopted an (adult) kitty about a year and a half ago. And it was one of the smartest decisions I’ve ever made. The girls love him, and he’s great company for me on the nights when they’re with their dad. And in terms of pets, cats are actually relatively low-maintenance. I love cats. :-)

MADISON January 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

My vote is for a dog. I have a beautiful 75-lbs black lab/retreiver mix and she is AWESOME!! You’ll get lots of loving between your son and the dog….haha. :-)

lmt January 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

Cats all the way. Fish are not all that satisfying–plus none of our goldfish lived very long. You can cuddle up with the kitty when you are feeling blue. Doesn’t work so well with a fish.

Juli January 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

Goldfish are a lot of work and require a fairly large tank for a small fish because they’re so dirty. Get a betta– a japanese fighting fish. But only one per bowl– if they’re are two, one will kill the other. Waaaay too much trauma for a little kid.

Kona January 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

If you’re planning on getting another cat, are you considering making it an indoor cat? Outdoor cats are dangerous– both to themselves and other pets. Plus, someone else started taking care of your other ones.

Just reading over the old posts, a fish really just seems like a better idea. You didn’t seem particularly fond of the cats you used to have, and fish won’t pee on your bed.

Heather January 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

We have 2 brother cats. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to having just one cat again. They are so hilarious and sweet with each other and, honestly, seem so much happier than when I had just one cat. If you go for 2, it is best to go with 2 from the same litter.

My cats are strictly indoor cats. I just ended up spending too much $$ on vet bills and watched too much destruction of nature (their bird killing ability is sometimes very scary — they are vicious) by my previous outdoor cats to ever warrant having an outdoor cat again.

As for the litter box, pine pellets are an absolute god-send! I love, love, love them!

We also had a betta fish, Grumpy Harold, who was an amazing fish. Very interactive with us, which I never knew could be possible.

Stephanie January 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

2 grown up cats

Penny January 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

I vote for two cats as well. And as fun as kittens are? It’s sometimes easier to take a sibling set of older cats from shelters as they frequently need to go to the same home and won’t get into as much trouble as kittens will.

Lisa_in_WI January 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Good point! Kittens are cute, but I feel so for older animals who aren’t adopted as easily. I adopted my Ginger when she was 4, and I love her to pieces!

Corinne Cooper January 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

I vote for 2 cats…I grew up with animals & I truely feel it made me a more compassionate person…just make sure you adopt from a shelter :)

April P. January 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

Two kitties! And a shelter will LOVE you for that. They may even do a two-for-one deal if they are at capacity.

Lisa_in_WI January 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

As a kitty mama myself, I have to vote for cats.

(And I am with you, when those ASPCA commercials come on, I have to change the channel before I burst into tears. I’m tearing up just thinking about those ads. I’m such a sap.)

Cass January 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

My ex was allergic to cats. When we broke up I got 2 cats! Best decision ever. Sarah McLachlan is lovely.

MJ January 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Don’t get two cats unless you know for sure they are from the same home and had no problems before. We got two older cats from the shelter and were told they were best friends. After we got them home we noticed that the one cat was always on top of the other one, trying to dominate it. I guess the shelter took the dominance as affection when really it was not. Plus if you get two outdoor cats there is a possibility of them having turf wars outside that they can bring in the house, that usually results in cat pee in your house. After having had many cats and many problems like these in the past, I have vowed to be a one cat household. Especially since we get our cats from the shelters and we let them go outside. Good luck with your decision.

Angel January 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

We just recently got a second kitty… a kitten. My older cat took to her like a momma and we NEVER see them any more because they are always cuddled up together. So if you’re wanting a cuddle buddy, I would say just one cat. If you’re wanting the cuteness to appease your son and don’t have much time for an animal, then I would say get two, because you’re absolutely right that they will keep each other company.

Lydia January 21, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I got my daughter a Beta fish. Its the perfect pet for little ones. Our fish swam around for 2 days with a joe louie in the water before i noticed and it still lived for 8 months. And the are beautiful look fish.

Anna January 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I would go with one cat if you’re going the cat route. More than one can cause issues, and when you have issues, you will probably have pee problems to deal with. I can’t tell you how many times I used to clean up cat pee. Bleh. A few times, I crawled into bed after a hard day’s work and found a puddle. Double bleh. Really make sure you don’t have allergies, either. I was not allergic to our cats at first, but they developed later…

Deanna Gale January 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I tried to post this last night, but it didn’t go through.. DON’T do it!! Kittens are cute, but they are destructive little creatures.. all the meowing and the chewing and the scratching and curtain climbing.. and they may and will to grow up to cats that may or may not always use that litterbox. One more thing to figure out the maintenance of when you travel. I am a reformed pet owner, and after having cats during the time my family expanded (which could happen in the next five years of your cats life), they tend to take a tumble down the ladder of priority. Maybe you’ll be a bigger person than me. I sucked as a pet owner when my life changed umpteen times. ;) I value simplicity in the single mother’s life. And pets are not simple. Not to mention the hair. Oh God, the hair. Maybe you’ll make it work. I am jaded. My BFF and I were Christmas shopping together. We paused over the cute kittens in the store window. I wavered for 1.3 seconds. And looked at her and said, “Well, it’s your call. Do you want to receive phone calls from me complaining for the next thirteen years? Probably not. I won’t do that to you.” ;)

Anna January 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Oh, the hair. I am so thankful I never have to go back to my exMIL’s house – 4 cats and a dog… My son would LOVE a dog, but I just can’t do it.

Katie January 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Get yourself a cat…just for you. Get Benjamin a fish :)

Lesli January 22, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I am an animal lover and I’m happy to see that my older son, Henry, is as well. I love to see him pick up our huge cats and love on them–and they just roll with it. A few months ago we got a kitten from the neighbor and I let my 5yo, Will, name her….we went with Coconut. She has brought so much fun into the house and we laugh at her all the time. One of Henry’s chores is feeding the pets—I do the litter box. He enjoys the responsibility and it’s made him more aware of what it takes to be a good pet owner.

I would also recommend a Dwarf Hamster. We had one for well over a year, Mr. Dash, and he was great fun. He never bit any of us and we would take him out and play with him. He was very low-maintenance and was adorable. A great pet plus hamsters are solitary creatures and don’t need a “friend” like some pets.

We’ve had our share of fish—but I agree with the comment above that they aren’t very cuddly. When Ben is gone on weekends with his dad, curling up with a kitten or cat, a glass of wine, and a movie….bliss.

Matthew January 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Hi… I’m a new visitor to the site. I’m beginning a relationship with a beautiful single mother of 2 girls and I’m looking up advice since this is my first experience with a single mom. We’re going on a picnic tomorrow and it’s my first time spending time with the girls. I’m more nervous about having it go well with them than I was on our first date.
As for pet choice: I say guinea pig… my niece loves hers. I’ve seen the dwarf hamsters too (our first date included the dollar store and the pet store) and they are sooooo darn cute!

christine January 23, 2011 at 1:15 am

i see from twitter you got yourself a dog! good choice! i’m sure there is a missing place where murphy was. there’s just something about a boy and a dog. i am anxiously awaiting the day when my girls are big enough (and we have enough room) to get a little dog for our little family.

Maria Roberts January 24, 2011 at 11:38 am

A cat or a hamster, which isn’t in the options… but hamsters rock. Brilliant pets. Or a cat.

Glenda January 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’m allergic to cats, so I’d have to go with a fish or two. It’s less of a hassle to take care of and clean up.

LT January 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

A gold fish for sure!

reader January 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I am a single mom at this time with a three year old son. To make his life a bit more interesting, I bought him a gold fish in a small tank (he chose the fish and the rocks for the tank). It’s been a non-event ever since (about three weeks). The fish is (obviously) silent and it does not do much. So, except for the daily morning feedings, he can’t do much with it. And, to add to my chores, I now have to wash the tank every two weeks or more often — the water does not look clean after about a week. We can’t have a cat where we live at this point, but I would vote for a cat — much more rewarding (more work too).

Kristin January 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

I have a kitty and a shih tzu. The two of them are best friends and extremely tolerant of my (almost) 2-year-old’s body-slamming and tail-pulling antics.

I’ve had a few cats in my life. The best personalities (more like a dog, and VERY affectionate) that I’ve had are two girl cats that were Tortoise-shell cats. My mom calls them “mis-fire” kitties. They are mostly black, with flecks of golds, browns and whites all mixed throughout their fur. I know there are tons of kitties that are awesome and sweet too. I just prefer the Torties. Roxy had green eyes and Zoe has yellow eyes. She’s self-sufficient, friendly, not skittish and LOVES people. Best kinda cat to have. :)

amy February 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

What did you get? I read above you got a dog… Did you?!

carrie nagy February 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Cats are good buddies to have around, you should get 2.

Frederick February 11, 2011 at 3:49 am

Kitten is a nice pets for kids. you should get him
2 cats it could be lonely if it’s one cat…