My little monster.

by mssinglemama on November 1, 2010

After one week of being sick on his butt with the flu Benjamin insisted on being Darth Maul from Star Wars.

Coincidence? Or Benjamin’s inner self trying to tell me something. After being completely pampered back to health by Mommy he has morphed into the Dark Lord of Demands.

Now, I have to kick myself back out of sick kid mode Mommy into my normal, independence fostering self.

“No, Benjamin, you need to get the shoes out of the closet yourself and no, I am not going to tie them.” Little things like that – they add up and I just hope I’m adding or subtracting in the right places.

Ever fear you may be creating little monsters?

Not evil people, just little guys or girls who are either too dependent on us (ie spoiled) or far too independent (ie neglected). Yikes.

_____

Every night before bed I read Benjamin a story or two. These are just a few of our favorites. I wanted to share because they are each absolutely sweet tales of conquering inner monsters.

Engelbert Sneem and the Dream Vacuum Machine is only $5.47 on Amazon.

I’m not sure how the world missed this book. I found it at Half Price Books. The illustrations alone are absolutely beautiful and the story is just as wonderful. Engelbert steals dreams from children while they sleep only to realize that he has become a nightmare.

Another Half Price Books find, Moonpowder by John Rocco, is only $6.40 on Amazon.

Wow. Another book the world has missed. In the story, the little boy is tapped by Mr. Moon to repair the Moonpowder Factory. To do so, he has to conquer his nightmare and have a sweet dream. Warning for single moms–the book ends with his Dad coming home from war, but Benjamin doesn’t seem to be phased by it. The illustrations and the story are absolutely magical.

Full disclosure: I was not paid to write these reviews or offered free copies of the books. I just love these them to pieces and had to share.

What are some of your favorite kid’s books? Share because I’m obsessed with them, hence the frequent trips to the book store and the library.

1. Elmo Death Threat. Freaky toys unite and Fisher Price sucks.
  2. Eyelashes
  3. Destructivo Strikes Again! Super Mommy Limps Away for Nap.
  4. Sick Thoughts.
  5. Lebron took off with my head

Robin November 1, 2010 at 8:24 am

Monster Mama/Liz Rosenberg and Weird Parents/Audry Wood were some of my kids favorites. I’m seriously considering asking my daughter if I can read them to her again when she is home on break from school this holiday. She is 25. I guess I will have to risk her thinking I have really lost my mind and make fun of me forever!!

Cierra November 1, 2010 at 10:42 am

Green eggs and ham my mom is going to save them for me so that I can read them to my children

Shakespeare November 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

You really think you’re the only one in the WORLD who knows about those two books? Really?

Juliet November 1, 2010 at 11:16 pm
GreenInOC November 2, 2010 at 12:06 am

Shakespeare, me thinks you doth protest too much!

Amanda November 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm

My daughter loves the Llama Llama and Splat the Cat stories. They are on the silly side but my daughter’s giggle while we read them is priceless :)

steph November 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm

The Perfect Nest by Catherine Friend. Great story, illustrations and was written by a local (to me in Minnesota) author.

Stephanie November 1, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Binky the Space Cat and Binky to the Rescue. Anthony LOVES them. Funny things for grown ups too.

Anna November 1, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I LOVE Skippyjohn Jones because they are fun to read (literally — I would read them to myself if the kid weren’t around).

I am currently force-feeding James and the Giant Peach to The Boy because he is in a Captain Underpants phase that won’t quit and I want him to read/hear the GOOD stuff.

christine November 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm

my oldest is just a month younger than ben, and we’ve recently graduated to reading a chapter of a book before bed. we just finished james and the giant peach and are about halfway through charlotte’s web. my daughter LOVED james and the giant peach, and wanted us to start over again as soon as we finished. i think next up i’ll get some more dahl books.

GreenInOC November 2, 2010 at 12:09 am

I am in love with ALL of Jon Scieszka’s books (The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, Squids Will be Squids, etc., etc., etc. As an added bonus he even has series for young readers as your little ones get older).

David Rickert November 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Jack was Darth Vader.

Check out “Under the Bed,” another monster book. Jack’s into non-fiction now; not so much into the fictional stories.

Lisa November 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I too am a big fan of the Skippy Jon Jones books. I have a really hard time not laughing through the whole thing (my son is three and he always goes “Mumma! Your making the book jumpy!” whenever I laugh). Some of our super favorites are Peg Leg Peke by Brie Spangler (cute pirate themed story about a pekingnese with a broken leg), Jack and the Dream Sack by Laurence Anholt and Ross Collins (Jack decides to stay awake when he goes to sleep and travel into his dreams to bring some back to the awake world), and You Are My Miracle by Maryann K. Cusimano (Christmas book about a big bear and a little bear). We also like Ten Little Puppies by Jim Harris (has a hilarious pair of google eyes in the front that roll around and I heard there’s a dinosaur version; goes through different breeds of dog with rhyming anecdotes) and Zoom Broom and Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini (There’s a third book of the same theme called Broom Mates; They’re about a witch and her shenanigans). My son also has a love for the Dr. Seuss books, specifically The Lorax (total throwback but he loves it) and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I’m a HUGE advocate for the Kohl’s Cares for Kids line where they have stuffed animals that go along with books they offer ($5 each for a book or stuffed animal) and the money goes to Children’s Hospital. They do themes, there was Toy Story, Winnie the Pooh, If you give a mouse/moose/pig a cookie/muffin/pancake (also wicked awesome stories!), Curious George, and more recently the Dr. Seuss books. And now that I’VE written a book on here, I’m going to say I’m a huge fan and take my leave! Enjoy.

Another Lara November 4, 2010 at 12:33 am

Oh so many!

The Quiet Book – this is great for adults too – by Deborah Underwood

The Incredible Book-eating Boy and How to Catch a Star both by Oliver Jeffers

Chester – by Melanie Watt

Anything by Mo Willems

It’s a Book by Lane Smith

Jim Copp, Will You Tell Me a Story? By Jim Copp

Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor – I think your creative side will love the illustrations in here by Peter Parnall (I also like her The Table Where the Rich People Sit)

I would also check out Suzy Lee’s books. Great illustrations.

Hug Time by Patrick McDonell