Lost amidst the never ending paint

by mssinglemama on September 24, 2010

I have been painting since  Sunday afternoon.

A few things I’ve learned, 1248 square feet seems much larger when you have to cover every inch and painting a ceiling is worse than painting a closet. If you were hoping for some insightful live or love lesson you’ll have to move along, my brain is fried on fumes.

We’re almost there though. Every room is finished. Now it’s just woodwork and closets. John’s parents came down to help – yeah, did I mention already that I am going to have the best, sweetest, coolest in-laws ever? [One thing about having been married already, the in-law thing is WAY more important of a factor than my twenty-something self ever would have considered].

My mother is also here. Or as I call her, the crazy painting lady. Moving from house to house and renovating them with six kids in tow will do that to you. Anyway, she spent about 7 hours in my breakfast nook the other day. I’m not sure what she was doing but the woodwork looks amazing, smooth, clean, sanded down and caulked. She’s also been putting up with me at my worst. Even at 1:00 am when the fumes from the oil-based primer I bought on accident have us both scared for our lives. And then in the morning when we wake up so sore and I’m grumbling something about wearing the same shirt for three days straight and wanting to strangle a baby bunny.

John Bear has been slammed all week preparing to defend his Masters Thesis. A huge deal and I’m so proud of him. And even though he feels really, really guilty for not being here I am secretly glad he’s not–it could have been ugly. After John defends today he’s bringing back up the little Benjamin who has been hiding away at his Dad’s, enjoying the care-free oblivion that is early childhood. A move? Oh, don’t worry about that the magic elves will take care of everything. When he gets back he’ll find a brand new room with a brand new bunk bed, the one big piece of furniture John and I agreed to buy for the new house. Did I already tell you how much I love that man?

I’ll also be playing this song… it’s been on repeat in my head all week, amidst the paint cans and the never ending walls. I’ll have pictures next week.

1. A fairy tale ending?
  2. When the long lost father resurfaces.
  3. Third time’s the charm

tela September 24, 2010 at 9:25 am

Love that song.

I’ve been wanting to repaint much of my house. Now I’m rethinking that… ;)

Jen September 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

Great song, great refrain. Enjoy your new home!

Glenda September 24, 2010 at 11:58 am

Enjoy your new home. Congrats to John Bear…and i can’t wait to hear all about it and see the pictures. Happy moving…and a have a great weekend!

sylvie September 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm

wicked song- my daughter loves it too :) Congrats to you on this beautiful journey- though we have never met, you are definitely an inspiration!!

gaga September 25, 2010 at 4:36 am

*****Rich flirts.c/o/m**** is for interracial women and men looking to find a partner or a date.
We offer Interracial chat, forums and many great features to help you find love online. Many interracial men and women are looking to meet their special someone today and find love online or an interracial partner.

Stephanie September 25, 2010 at 8:09 am

good luck!!

Stephanie September 25, 2010 at 8:13 am

great song! where do you find such cool music?

Mouithsone September 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hi,

I watch some of your videos on youtube, and I’m really impress. I’m launching an online free magazine next January, and I was wondering if you would like to write for our magazine?

Take care.

A September 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Enjoy the new house! Funny you should mention the in-law thing…my divorce isn’t even filed yet but I was just thinking this week how I will never allow my next MIL to boss me around like this one did. :)

christine September 26, 2010 at 5:39 pm

in laws ARE so important. i am beyond thankful that my MIL is an amazing, wonderful woman who loves me. maybe it helps that she always wanted daughters and had three sons instead? regardless of what a jerk her son has been, she has always been kind and supportive to me. i think it helps that she is very similar to my own mother.

Lauren September 26, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Your mom sounds like mine! She has a system for painting that no one can mess with (I tried to help her paint a room once, but she got too frustrated with me.)

So glad that your in-laws are awesome. I’m a never-married single mom, and I wish there were some sort of class you could take on dealing with the “honorary in-laws” that come into the picture when your child’s father isn’t a complete deadbeat.

Stac September 27, 2010 at 8:06 am

Even when the father is a complete deadbeat, there are quasi-in-laws to deal with. Soooooo much fun let me tell you.

Megan Jeffery September 28, 2010 at 12:52 am

Isn’t settling into a new house so fun, though, dispite all the work? All the plans you make and traditions you start. Take your Benjamin somewhere (probably where you have a freshly painted wall!) and make sure you measure him, draw a little line and mark it with his name and the date. You will love this as he grows, and it will be even more fun when you add new “growers” to the spot. It killed me when we moved out of our old house, that I could not take that with me, so my husband got a large sheet of tracing paper, and carefully retraced all the lines and dates and names, and recreated it for me here, on the wall going down to the basement. You’ll be glad when Benjamin is 25!

Swati Bharteey September 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I’ve been away for awhile so 1st – congrats on your engagement!! Painting is always harder than I think it will be too – I hate, hate, hate the taping…my best experience was an accent wall I covered with Ralph Lauren suede paint – it’s delicious!

I am recently engaged too – and we are trying to sell our 2 places so we can buy one…have repainted everything neutral (read: boring) and stored our personal effects (read: Beloved clutter) into a 10×10 storage unit (it’s huge – I had no idea how much junk I had)…but it’s all for good reason!

SO happy to hear you are going to have great in laws – so important!
Swati