And so we shall

by mssinglemama on August 21, 2010

I stopped counting at 150. Your names. So many of you wanting a hand in this beautiful book.

Instead of downloading the XML form I just counted by hand with my cursor, arrowing down. One. Two. Three. Up to 20 and then 50. So, 50 on one page and there are three more, at least – oh boy.

And that was a few days ago.

The days seem like hours lately.

I could, technically speaking, work around the clock for weeks and still have more left to do. I realized this with a kind of excited and terrifying horror a few weeks ago. Busy is good, it means business is good, which means I am sleeping really well. I also love what I do immensely so that adds this huge element of fun. But – wow.

This Manifesto project will be a great break from the online. I am craving the tangible. I found a box of old letters when I started packing for the new house. I read every one. Savoring the hand-writing, the thoughts – written without the delete key or cut and paste. What happened to letters anyway?So, back to the counting. After my 150+ revelation I did the math. The writing + shipping + busy single moms passing manifestos to each other math and realized that even if we each turned the book around in 2 days with 2 days allowance for shipping it could be going around for two years.

I don’t know about all of you, but two years is a bit too tangible for my liking. Instead, I bought three books. And they’re skinny, perfect to cut down on shipping cost. Perhaps, we’ll make an international book. And the international readers are all with the understanding that they’ll be shipping to each other. Let me know what you think in the comments. Also, I like the idea of several books because if one is lost or intercepted by a tyrannous troll (eh-hem, you know who you are Troll people) – then the others will live on. I also have a few other securities brewing to protect against the malicious.

And, what if we had one book that just keep going? Like a message in a bottle. Hmmm…

Any other ideas you can contribute toward the Single Mom Manifesto are very welcome. I’ll be writing the guidelines and assembling the mailing lists in the next few weeks. In the meantime, start your first drafts because you’ll need to move the Manifesto right along when you receive it. I’ve also closed the sign-up form so if you’re in – you’re in. Everyone else will have to wait until round two.

1. Single Mom Manifesto

{ 1 trackback }

Free time. | Single Mom | Single Mom Blog | Ms. Single Mama
February 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

mommybella August 22, 2010 at 12:53 am

I love the idea so much. I have been keeping a journal since the day that I found out I was pregnant and always hoped that one day I could turn it into a book for other woman who are dealing with the same crap. Its good to know that there lots of woman willing to share thier feelings/stories

eb August 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

I know it defeats the whole purpose of tangible letters, but since there are so many of us, we could just mail you our contribution. It would still be in letter form, and you could paste them into the book (s). Or we could email them to you…. just a thought, might cost less and be less hassle. Like you said, we/you are busy! I know it’ll be great no matter what format you choose.

mssinglemama August 22, 2010 at 11:32 am

This is a great idea… but I want you all to be able to read each other’s manifestos. And, as of now, I have no plans to re-publish the books. So sending the pages to me wouldn’t be quite the same. Now, with that said, if I do find a publisher – than yes, absolutely – this could work.

eb August 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Duh, yes, I’m thinking this will definitely be published so that’s where my suggestion came from! Sorry can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. :)

Poppy August 22, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Sadly I think the WWW is to blame for the lack of handwritten letters these days. In my case anyway. It also led to the end of journaling for me. Wrote in a journal consistently from the age of 6 until I got my first online computer at the age of 32. I miss it and recently bought myself a new one :)

All the best with your project!

Emily August 23, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I follow a great deal of mom blogs and I’ve never come across anyone as self-absorbed as you, mssinglemama

kris August 23, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Oh Emily, maybe you shouldn’t read it then. It seems like a waste of time to read something you find so terrible…

Keep doing what your doing Alaina. :)

Katherine August 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I follow a great deal of blogs as well and I’ve never come across anyone who’s made a more useless comment than you, Emily.