Woman’s Day

by mssinglemama on July 6, 2010

My essay is out. Find it in the August issue of Woman’s Day. Pick one up the old-fashioned way or read it online.

I’m a bit partial to the print version and while reading the last few paragraph’s out loud to John Bear in the car as soon as I found my copy, I actually choked up on these lines, “as for my son Benjamin, he is now a beaming, breathtaking little 4-year-old who has more wonder, curiosity and happiness in his heart than I ever imagined anyone could contain. And fear, as it turns out, is not a word in his vocabulary. Or in mine.”

The tremble in my throat and tears in my eyes caught both of us off guard.

“Are you crying?” He asked.

“I guess.”

“It’s okay, but why?”

“Because, it’s just so surreal. Benjamin and I have come so far.”

We have and so will you single mamas, unless you have already! And in that case, the congratulations is yours as well.

I have been incredibly touched and overwhelmed by the number of e-mails coming in from Woman’s Day readers. Some of you are unhappily married mothers, soon to be single moms; others have just left your husbands and are trying to find your way.

I am trying my best to respond to each e-mail but if I miss yours, please visit my Single Moms forum and post your questions there. My existing community of single moms would love to offer their take on your situation.

And thanks to all of you for joining us.

No related posts.

Annie Y July 6, 2010 at 10:30 am

Alaina,
I found it online yesterday. Here’s the link if you would like to share it with your readers.

Great essay! You did an amazing job as always!

mssinglemama July 6, 2010 at 10:46 am

Thanks Hon, just updated the post to reflect the link.

Annie Y July 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

I read it online and then made my hubs go to Barnes & Noble and pick up the magazine!
Glad to help!

mssinglemama July 6, 2010 at 10:54 am

That’s SO cool. Thank you!

Marisol L July 6, 2010 at 10:59 am

I just read it online and will pick up a copy today. I feel so inspired, Thank you so much!!

Barb July 7, 2010 at 12:08 am

Awesome. A fabulous story to hear. If you get a chance check out my new blog http://www.secondchancemoon.com and I would HEART an approval!

Linda Sullivan July 7, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that inspiring quote. I have a few friends who are single mothers and I can only marvel at their courage and the strength of their spirit. I’m proud to have them as friends.

Shannon July 8, 2010 at 10:27 am

I just read it again…after having read it in my Woman’s day which was delivered to my house. And again, it really hit home. I had a similar situation and really felt that I needed to leave, to teach my daughter what independence and self-confidence really were. It worked. She is turning eleven this month and is incredibly empowered. Benjamin will be a very strong little man. Children of single mamas are remarkable. I should know. I married one 2 1/2 years ago, after being a single mom for 5 years. Excellent article.

Erin July 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I just read your article today while I was in my doctor’s waiting room. I was so happy to read your story there in this magazine that thousands of other women will read. I wanted to stand up in the waiting room and tell all the women around me to read it, that this is a person who helped me in my journey, who’s story is similar to mine and so many others. It made me so very proud to be a part of this blogging community and the community of single mothers who are thriving and growing and learning to love themselves. Congrats for the article! It was so great to see your smiling face staring back at me!

So excited for you, John Bear and Benjamin for your new house too! It is crazy to look back and see how far you’ve come, how far I’ve come, how far we all have come. Truly inspirational!

All the best!

-Erin

Roxanne July 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Major congratulations to you for how far you’ve come. I know I’ve said it before, but just in case you’ve somehow forgotten: THANK YOU for sharing your journey with us. It’s been amazing to follow along, and so incredibly inspiring. It’s people like you who got me through the hardest part(s) of my life. You’re a rock star!!

Robin July 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I know the feeling … of knowing that my son has no worry in the world and his happiness and peace is now a permanent fixture in his life. To have stability, peace and happiness is such an amazing victory to have achieved. The struggle to get there though made me stronger and makes me that much more appreciative and keenly vigilant to our future, and the people we let into our lives.

ammarboudour October 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm

hello atoute je recherch une relation serieuse