Dishevelment

by mssinglemama on May 20, 2010

The next time I say I am going to start my own business and a new workshop series – just stop me, shake me and then throw some cold water in my face.

After two weeks of prep while managing client work and all of that new business stuff, the final Sway Workshop is under way. The Workshop, in case you are curious, consists of nine innocent attendees who have willingly signed themselves up for two days of non-stop talk about search engine optimization (SEO). A topic, that although fascinating, can also be a bit overwhelming and, if discussed for long periods of time, lead to a nasty case of dry mouth accompanied by this itchy feeling in the back of your throat that makes you lose your will to ever speak again.

After the close of day one Brad and I hobbled upstairs from Wild Goose and into the Cement Marketing office. After a few minutes of remaining upright we both collapsed. Me on the couch, stretching my heeled feet until they spilled over the end of our little couch and Brad on the floor, resting his cheek on a scrappy edge of a little Ikea carpet.

We concluded that perhaps Sway would be better delivered online, to a virtual audience – one that can hit rewind again and again on our virtual talking heads so that we don’t have to feel this kind of physical pain ever again. And then we remember that we have to do it all over again tomorrow. But, we’re excited and proud. Because as Brad points out, “look how far we’ve come from that day when we were taking pictures of our empty new space.” We did it. And from what we can tell, our attendees are learning a shit ton about SEO. Mission accomplished (almost).

There’s still tomorrow to defeat.

For now, I’m here in my apartment ignoring the absolute disaster surrounding me. Thanks to the festival last weekend and Sway this week I have now, effectively, taken two full weeks off from cleaning. In fact, I’m not sure you could walk through a single room in the place and manage to stay in a straight line without stepping on something, stubbing a toe or just feeling an overwhelming sense of disgust with the creatures who must live in this place. The creatures, of course, being Benjamin and I.

And I fed Benjamin donuts for dinner tonight. Donuts.

I did it because the plate was there. This giant leftover plate of donuts that no one would take on Twitter and then there was Benjamin. Sitting there looking cute and adorable, he wasn’t even asking for the donuts but I thought – this horrible thought, “What if I could go one night without making dinner?”

It happened so quickly and before I knew it Benjamin was devouring all of the glazed and nutty cinnamon goodness he could pop into his little mouth, pausing only to say, “This is the best dinner ever, Mommy.”

Good night sweet stranger people. I hope you have a marvelous weekend. And eat a donut for me.

1. Absent, with reason
  2. We’re gonna do this.
  3. Unexpected reality
  4. Sob, Sob. I’m a CSS moron.
  5. What women really want.

Bobbi Janay May 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I understand those feelings of being overwhelmed.

ellie May 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm

…and somehow I found time to read this post. In between trying to get some studying, packing and cleaning done and making sure that I’m not up till 2 again. Between you and me, I kind of like it. I know I’m doing stuff most of the people have no courage and energy to do. Progressing slowly to a place I want to be at. I have a feeling you like it too and maybe more than little. Well high five to girls like us because we rule!

Barbara May 20, 2010 at 10:56 pm

You just went a long way to ease my momma guilt tonight. I started a new job at the beginning of this week and have just been exhausted every night. There just isn’t enough time to work, take care of kids, fix food, clean, laundry, errands… I have been doing a pretty good job of beating myself up lately for not being able to get it all done. Forget trying to chase dreams this week or have a life outside of all this. I know it will all settle out because it always does but right now I think I really need to go to bed. Good night all and thanks again for reminding me that I’m not all alone in doing this especially when I was feeling exactly that!

Erin B May 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm

You truly are superwoman!!!

Momma Sunshine May 21, 2010 at 5:16 am

Sometimes donuts for dinner just happen. If it makes you feel any better, I once fed my children (and myself!) popcorn for dinner…..

Some days are just like that.

Star May 21, 2010 at 6:40 am

I fed my kids icecream for dinner last night and I’m not juggling half of what you are!

ashlea May 21, 2010 at 8:22 am

It happens. Donuts. It happens.

You’ll clean next week. I have these days/nights and I always try to put things into perspective by remembering that the POSITIVE effects of the huge moves I am making in my career, for both myself and my kids, will far far FAR outweigh the ever so slight and perhaps negligible effects of the very seldom occurance of an extra video or donut dinner!!!

And BTW, my mom was happily married and had an awesome supportive husband and she didn’t work more than 10 hours a week outside of the home until my brother and I were long gone….she liked banana spilts for dinner sometimes…FRUIT, get it? I am a very healthy adult.

Thanks for being here for us!!! We love you!!!!

Canadian Bald Guy May 21, 2010 at 8:35 am

Mmmmmm….donuts.

Naturally Single Mom May 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

If donuts are good enough for breakfast, why can’t they be good enough for dinner? Everyone deserves a treat every once in awhile!

By the way, get yourself some Throat Coat tea (it’s what all the famous singers drink, and for good reason) and some Ricola cough drops, to get rid of that icky back of the throat feeling.

Heidi May 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

Can completely relate to the craziness that you speak. I to am a mama that is trying to juggle a demanding career and still be a great mama to my 2 kids. We routinely have frozen waffles and sausage for dinner because they not only love it, but I barely have to lift a finger to make it. Cereal is a big hit too. We are all just trying to hang in there aren’t we? Sounds like you are doing a killer job at all that you do!