Smoothies & the Duchess

by mssinglemama on April 19, 2010

Benjamin and I discovered, just this week, that our blender and fruit make for a nice mix. I know, duh – right?

Toss in some yogurt and a little splash of juice and voila – you have a delicious smoothie. I think I’ve lost a few pounds already. No more eating out. Smoothies instead. And anything that gets Benjamin to guzzle down a huge cup filled with fruit is worth the few seconds it takes to make.

Our single mama smoothie recipe (just enough for one mama and one tot):

2 bannanas
3/4 cup of mango/orange juice from Trader Joe’s
1-2 cups of frozen strawberries (or raspberries, or blueberries)
3/4-1 cup of vanilla yogurt

(adjust all of the above accordingly)

Nearly as awesome as my cottage cheese pancakes, which are packed with protein for the kiddies. Try them both.

——

Lately, as a de-stressing mechanism, I have been forcing myself to watch movies or read a book for at least an hour a night.

When the Duchess, a romantic period piece starring Keira Knightly, landed in my mail box I popped it in apprehensively. But, to my surprise, I actually loved it. Quite the chick flick, perfect for a Friday or Saturday night after the kids are tucked in.

There was also a line in the movie that will stick with me forever.

Keira, the Duchess of Devnoshire, is on a walk with Lady Beth when one of the Duchess’ little daughters falls onto the grass and then bounces right back up. Lady Beth asks, “Why can’t we get up that fast?”

The Duchess responds matter-of-factly, “Because. We have too far to fall.”

No related posts.

arscuore April 19, 2010 at 10:38 am

The Duchess is a total single mom movie. Technically she’s not a single mom, but c’mon. I watched it on my ipod on a plan ride, and it was all I could do to not cry… Smoothies may be in order today — the boy just had another tooth pulled! Thanks for the recipe.

Ms. Single Mama April 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Absolutely…

Sara April 19, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks for the recipe, I tried once to master the creation of smoothie’s, needless to say it didn’t turn out. Hopefully your recipe will do the trick!

Ms. Single Mama April 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Yes, this will work. Just don’t put in too much of the juice. And you can always start small and add more yogurt of juice.

Savannah Brentnall April 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Have you tried green smoothies? It’s an easy way to get all your veggies in for the day. Try adding a cup of baby spinach to the smoothie you’re already making. Seriously–you won’t taste anything except the banana. Then you can go up to 2 cups. When you’re feeling really adventurous, try stuff like kale and chard. the banana taste overwhelms everything else.

Oh, and when your bananas start to go brown you can peel them, stick them in a ziplock bag & shove them in the freezer. Perfect for smoothies!

Erin April 21, 2010 at 12:33 am

I’m with the green smoothie crowd! My boys just tried them a couple weeks ago and LOVED them. Worth a shot for the extra veg. :) I use carrot juice from Costco to add another veg in without the texture.

Ashley April 20, 2010 at 1:20 am

Smoothies sounds yummy. I’ve never seen the Duchess but I will surely check it out now. Oh, you should try watermelon + mango + banana. It’s my favorite fruit trio. Mango + Carrot is good too.

littlemansmom April 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I love those time period pieces! I’m currently watching ‘Wives and Daughters’. You just might love that one too! ;)

laura April 20, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I’m a period film junky (mostly because I was an English lit major and the good period movies tend to be screen adaptations of classic books.) “Wives and Daughters” is great. So is the BBC version of “Bleak House” and they are both streaming on Netflix. My favorite single mom movie is “Waitress.” Except you’ll probably want some pie in your house after you watch that film….

RobinEsque April 20, 2010 at 11:13 pm

We tried “your” cottage cheese pancakes … and delicious!! We had to stop at the store to get cottage cheese and when my son learned we were making pancakes with cottage cheese, he reacted, naturally, with a dubious comment. But I told him this was a special pancake recipe just for mamas and their sons, their little boys … so it had to be made in a special way with cottage cheese as the special ingredient. After getting home and mixing everything up, the end result … pure satisfaction and his cute candidness of: Mama these are so yummy! Thanks for making pancake night that much more fantastic in our house!!

Cheryl April 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I like the idea of juice, fruit and VODKA… just sayin’.
;-)

As for “The Dutchess”, maybe it IS that single mom thing, but I really really loved that movie and remember thinking as I was watching it, “WHY didn’t this movie do better in the theaters? It’s awesome!”

Great quote from the movie too btw. I’m gonna keep that one tucked away since I’ve been free falling from REALLY high up lately (it seems).

XOXO

@Jasperblu

chris April 28, 2010 at 10:03 am

Keeping your feet on the ground and your mind in childhood works though. The other day while out running I fell in front of an on-coming car because the road was icy, rolled over, dodged the car, bounced back up and ran on in approximately 1.5 seconds time. Then again, I don’t have far to fall due to the above mentioned traits.

Having said that, I totally read Vodka instead of Voila too. ;)