Family?

by mssinglemama on April 15, 2010

Being a single mom, small business owner/entrepreneur and blogger + girlfriend = frequent bouts of exhaustion and cravings for moments of peace and solitude.

On one such afternoon, which happened to be yesterday afternoon, I collapsed on the couch while Benjamin hopped out onto the front porch to play with the sidewalk chalk. He was so quiet – a rarity. But, as his teachers point out, when he is coloring or drawing he is completely focused.

Ten minutes later and one boiled over pot of chocolate milk (I had forgotten about it on the stove during my respite on the couch) Benjamin fetched me to, “Come look, Mama, come on! Come on!”

“Okay, okay – just a minute.”

And then there it was – his first landscape, story or whatever. His first work of sidewalk art that didn’t look like a mess of scribbles.

This, my dear friends, woke me up, re-energized me and even made me forget about everything on my to-do list.

Chalk Art

At the top left is the sun, which has a cute smiling face and the bright blue line around the sun is a row of cities, the blue dashes are the cities. And to the right is a boy. Underneath the boy – the yellow and light blue line is the road leading to the cities.

Being alone yesterday afternoon, I had no one to show this to… I took the picture, my first instinct being to share this huge milestone of his with all of you. My readers. Maybe you guys are like my giant extended family. Filling that void being a single mom naturally creates – that feeling of being somewhat isolated.

An awesome new Cement Marketing client asked me the other day how many of you I’ve actually met. I am always surprised by the new questions thrown my way about blogging – a mysterious art to some. I had to think about it and then realized I’ve only actually met about 50 of you… many of whom have become real life friends.

So, why do I feel like I know all of you?

Who else wants to brag about your little ones? Do it. Share with all of us, your big family of single mamas. Leave a comment.

1. Can he really drop his little black book for a family?
  2. Pillow Talk

J.R. Reed April 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm

If we’re a family we’re dysfunctional enough for our own reality TV channel…

Stac April 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

Aren’t all families dysfunctional? I thought that’s what made a family….

Shelley in ME April 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm

What a beautiful picture! Have followed you for a long time but I think this is my first comment! I love hearing how happy you have become!

Lori April 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I’m a WV native and the horrible mining tragedy in WV had my attention last week. I asked my son if he knew what a mine was. He said he did. I said, “There’s been an accident in a mine near where we went to the Fair last year. A lot of men died in an explosion but 4 are still missing.” He replied, “I know, I saw it on the news this morning.” Which sounded so strange coming from a 5 y.o.’s mouth. So we prayed for the miners, I said a prayer and Kaleb followed with his own. He has such a tender heart.
But as far as only meeting 50 of your readers goes…. I think you need to meet at least one more. I’d love to be a stranger friend or creep as M.L. calls them. One of these days we should have a S.E. OH meet up and play date. I think our sons would hit it off. And maybe we would too = )

Ms. Single Mama April 16, 2010 at 7:28 am

I love this idea of a retreat or play date. Maybe in Hocking Hills sometime. I will add it to my list of things I don’t have time to plan. And yes, they’re called creeps. Love Matt.

Mandy S April 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I’m technically single (as in not married) but live happily with the “baby daddy” and happy about it. My 8 month old son is gigantic (wearing 12-18 months) and I think you and I share the same park…

Ms. Single Mama April 16, 2010 at 7:27 am

I just hopped over to your blog. Totally share the same park. Next time say “hi” ; )

Restless Mama April 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Last night my little 19 month Mancub went through the book that I read to him every night, “Good Night Seattle” and did all of the motions and said the words as best he could FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! I was so excited and happy that he was able to go through the story we read together every night and tell it to me instead. I held in the happy tears while he read and until I tucked him night, night. But as soon as I closed the bedroom door I jumped up and down and cried because he’s really growing up. I had wished that I had a partner to share the moment so I called up his godfather but was only able to leave a voicemail.
At least I got to witness the Mancub’s milestone. Me, his mama got to witness HIS big milestone.
“Nigh, nigh Attle!” (Night, night Seattle) while waving his hand. How cute is that? How could your heart not burst into a million pieces and then melt?

mommietopearl April 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Wow that picture Benjamin did is beautiful! (Benjamin was my “boy” name for my Margaret if she were a boy!)

I will brag away about my funny ham of a 13 month old! We’ve been practicing a lot of sign language lately. And today while in her high chair she was signing “eat” and “more” like crazy. I kept nicely saying, hang on Maggie, almost ready. And then I asked her “Would you like to eat some pasta now?” and in the biggest voice ever she says “YAaaaaaa” I busted into laughter it was so funny. And since then any question she says “yaaaa” and sometimes will bob her head a little too!

arscuore April 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Over Spring Break, my little one learned how to ride his bike without training wheels. Thanks to the fabulous new BF, and his amazing patience. One WEEK!! Amazing.

Lauren April 15, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Yesterday I went through a short shopping list aloud while we were driving in the car, and about five minutes later, Anna (who recently turned 2) repeated my list to me, only missing one item.

She’s an extremely good communicator, and when we started at a new daycare a couple months ago, I was told that she talks more than some of the 3-year-olds. I’m the biased mom who thinks her kid is smarter than average (although I usually never vocalize those thoughts!)

laura April 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm

My son is 2 years and one month old (as of today) and he’s finding letters in words. A while little ago, he was able to see that signs had “the alphabet” on them but he wasn’t pointing out individual letters. So I bought him the magnetic letters to put on the fridge. He became enamored with the letter “W’ and started finding it on signs in the grocery store. But the last few days, he saw the “E” and the “R” and the “K” on my “Berkeley” college sweater (I wear it when I paint). Today, he was seeing the “H” and “E” and “S” in Cheshire. I wonder how long it will be before he knows every letter.
Nico was about 19 months old when he started reading “Where the Wild Things Are” back to me. It killed me with cuteness.

~Monica April 15, 2010 at 11:34 pm

My little guy is 4 (turning 5 this June – heading to kindergarten this coming September) and the other day I picked him up from daycare and he handed me a piece of paper that said “Lucas (loves) Mommy” where the “loves” was actually a heart that he explained to me meant “loves” LOL – it was all in his own hand-printing, everything was spelled correctly and all the letters were done correctly. He did this ALL BY HIMSELF, his daycare provider told me she was shocked when she saw it as she had never seen him write anything before other than his name. He had remembered me teaching him how to spell “Mommy” the day before. I was blown away ….. needless to say, my heart fluttered, then melted. It definitely went down as a huge milestone!

steph April 16, 2010 at 7:45 am

Hi , I’ve left a few comments in the past but I had to comment this time because I’m an artist and I remember that when I was attending art school my teacher would comment on the fact that the sun in my work for that particular project was always on the left hand side of the piece, this became an hour long conversation and it emerged that this was an unusual thing to do but that some very well known artist had also done this and this actually is a topic widely discussed as to why we all (even children) automatically draw the sun on the right hand side.

karyn April 16, 2010 at 10:14 am

my 3 year old daughter just drew her first stick person yesterday and i was so excited i started clapping and screamed with excitement! I know how you are feeling! my boyfriend looked at me like i was crazy, i thought he would clap too but he just said “yay” lolol moms get excited about the little things that make our hearts stop

Tracy April 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

Family is defined by so much more than blood…in fact I firmly believe that blood is NOT always thicker than water.

Yep, family are the ones you share with, you depend on, you support, you pour your heart out to, the ones you can’t wait to tell…..sometimes friends are just as much family (or more for some) as those you were raised with!

Cierra April 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm

My little brother is ten years old an because of the ten year age gap I consider him my baby. I am constantly amazed at how marture my lil bro is and how in the heck he is almost as tall as me! (I’m five ten.) we live in a very rural part of south Texas so we have over ten different barnyard animals (horses cows goats an donkeys plus dogs and a number of random strays) and he cares for them all by himself. It’s weird because I dis the same at that age but it’s just amazing to see him so grown up. He lift hay bales and drives a golf cart and bathes all the animals. I thank god everyday that he has blessed me with the opportunity to see my siblings grow into the wonderful men and women they will become. Family means the world to me an I wouldn’t change them for the world.

Cierra April 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Ignore the spelling errors I am replying in between UT classes on my phone lol. I read your blog religiously everyday no matter where I am.

Mikaela April 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Temporary single momma here. My husband’s in the National Guard, so once a month I’ve got the boys to myself. REALLY don’t know how all of you do it by yourselves all the time. You are my heros!

This past weekend my almost 3-year-old drove me nuts with his obstinance; disagreeing with me more than 100 times just on Sunday. But, it was all worthwhile that night when he looked at me, got this super cute grin on his face, and said, Mommy, give me a hug. *Heart Melt*

Sara April 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I’m a single mom of awesome toddler Will! Lately, much to my chagrin and worry, he’s wanted to sleep with me. I fought it until I realized sleep for the single mother, is more important than vows you took to yourself while he was in utero. This am as I was dressing, he started waking up. I said ‘hi schmooks’ and he stuck his hand in the air and waved at me – and then rolled over with a kick ass grin on his face. Ahhhh there is heaven on earth.

Kris April 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm

It’s funny because when people ask me about being a single parent, that is always what comes to mind first. I have nobody to share the little milestones with. I sometimes wish I had someone there to help me cheer her along. Or like the other night when I checked on her before bed and she was sleeping , IN HER EMPTY clothes hamper which was on her bed! I turned the lights on and took a picture but it just isn’t the same as having someone there to share the moment with.

Ms. Single Mama April 17, 2010 at 8:34 am

That is SO cute.

Jessica April 16, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Today my 17-month old son Harry climbed into my lap, said “Hi Mommy” and gave me a big hug! That totally made my day!

mommybella April 16, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Out of the blue, on monday, my 3 yr old Jayden just decided he wanted to do everything by him self. He went potty alone, tried his best to dress himself and best of all, now he want to eat by himself. He just totally decided on monday that he was a big boy and was totally independent…. not so sure about that thought!

Cibele April 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

This post made me cry. My family is so far way and sometimes I feel that I have nobody to share the excitement of all the new things she does everyday. My blog friends have helped me to fill this void. i post pictures and tell the stories and they cheer with me, celebrate , cry , tell how cute and smart my girl is… I love having this family. And what a fantastic piece of art from your little man!

The Ring Leader April 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Isn’t it wonderful to see them move from one stage to the next? I can remember that moment for both of my twins and they’ve recently moved to even more complexed pictures. An exciting thing of drawing is it’s a pre-writing skill. As his writing skills improve so does his ability to form letters. Keep these little masterpieces so that you can compare the progression later on.