May the force be with you

by mssinglemama on March 10, 2010

Designed by none other than John Bear, the tireless 80′s toy and movie pusher, Benjamin’s birthday invitation garnered such a strong reaction from everyone who found it in their inbox that I had to share.

Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 8.01.58 PM

When Benjamin saw it he jumped up and down, and then after a few more viewings proceeded to tell me the play by play of how he ended up in the snow fighting Empire-bots with his “life saver.”

The invitation is building hype for the party among Benjamin’s four year old buddies. Rumor has it they’ve been printing copies out and carrying them around, pestering their mothers for more details and advance tickets.

Deception is an art and it’s call Photoshop. The invitation makes me seem like a well-organized, put together mom who plans everything far in advance. But, don’t let it fool you.

After weeks of toiling over the idea of an expensive bowling alley or skating rink party, I decided to rent out Wild Goose Creative under the Cement Marketing offices. Then I asked John if he could make an invitation. Three hours later there it was and a party was born – for well under my budget.

The plan now is to sit a group of costumed kids down in front of a giant projection of a Star Wars movie. Then we’ll let them run free to eat food, cake and play a few games. The adults can escape upstairs to the Cement offices for private kid-free time.

Done and done. I’m such a slacker.

1. We’re gonna do this.
  2. One bitchin’ hang over.
  3. Single Mom S.O.S.: Play-Doh & Toddler-Goo
  4. Friends

Mayra March 10, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Awesome invited! Can’t wait to see pics of the actual party. =]

anon March 10, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Adorable!!! What a fantastic invite. How special for Benjamin to have such a great invitation that he and his buddies enjoy. Have a wonderful time, I know the kids will have a blast.

blk March 11, 2010 at 7:21 am

Cool invite. Be prepared for kids losing interest in movie and going nuts, as I am sure you are aware 4 year old boys don’t sit for long and the collective energy is a force to be reckoned with. I like to make my guys parties 2 hours (I would really like 1 1/2 but I force myself to go for 2). Too much down time at the party is the enemy movie, activity, pinata, cake treat bag outta there is my way to do it and make sure you have something chilling for you in the fridge for when it is all over.

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

We did a star wars party last year for my son.I highly recommend getting some pool noodles at the dollar store or walmart (get green, blue and red, if possible). You cut each in half (making two lightsabers) then put duct tape and electrical tape around one end to look like the handle to the lightsaber. The kids LOVED them both at the party and to take home. It’s been 9 months since his party and parents still tell me their kids play with them. Best party favor ever!

ashlea March 11, 2010 at 10:41 am

I keep reading and am always amazed to see how involved John is with the little guy…..how much he decides to do all on his own, the initiative, starting with the transformers months ago! It is really hard for me to believe that kind of man exists and reading about John provides consistent little bits of assurance that eventually I may be able to let myself believe this kind of man is out there for me and my kids. THANK YOU BOTH……AND have a great B-day party. Organized moms aren’t all they’re cracked up to be!! Moms who GET IT DONE with lots of hugs and laughter and self fulfillment….those are the moms we want to be!!!!

arscuore March 11, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Those men DO exist! Stop looking, and they fall in your lap! : )

mssinglemama March 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I didn’t believe it either… but they do exist. Promise. You just have to kick the jerks to the curb right away, to make way for the nice guys. You’ll know when you meet one.

arscuore March 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Alaina, you are so not a slacker. You are a single-mama hero when it comes to saving money AND having a good time!!

mssinglemama March 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I think I’m like the by the skin of her teeth mom, just barely getting everything done in time, every time. Never really planning too much ahead. Although, that could just be my perception.

All out of whack lately with the new biz up and rolling. SO busy. But busy is very, very good.

A March 12, 2010 at 12:09 am

Awesome invite!! Never thought of Photoshop for invites which is wierd cuz I love (the idea of) editing programs. Sounds like a fun party..good company all around, that’s what counts :)

a reader March 12, 2010 at 5:16 am

this is just to point out that you’re getting unnecessarily trashed over at The “Thinking” Housewife’s blog, which is run by a very nasty racist anti-feminist woman who has the audacity to call herself a Christian.

Beth March 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Oh my goodness! Alaina, I just read that thinking housewife blog where they talk about you. What a riot! I was having a rough day at work and sat down on my lunch break and read that junk! It was hysterical. Really made me laugh today! Like the guy who said that working women are basically just men. Or the fact that you are openly encouraging us women to leave our men. They completely nailed it, huh? I hope you can sleep at night knowing about all the divorces you caused!