Suckers

by mssinglemama on March 6, 2010

All three of us fell in love with a puppy for about a minute today.

_MG_8299

Okay, maybe it was longer than a minute.

_MG_8305

_MG_8306

Maybe about twenty.

It happened entirely by accident. John had been entertaining Benjamin in Petland so I could shop for birthday party favors at a store next door.

_MG_8317

Like Murphy, she’s a pure-bred Wheaton Terrier. And as my Twitter friends were quick to point out, probably came from a puppy mill.

_MG_8327

But. She is still a puppy.

_MG_8337

And when I held her she cuddled right up into my chest.

AlainaPuppy

Can’t even believe this little brown fuzz ball is going to turn into a white Wheaton Terrier, like Murph.

And I can’t even believe I have gone from being sublimely indifferent to the love and emotions dogs bring to completely head over heels. I blame this guy.

JohnBen

Such a sucker. But I am resisting. For now. If she’s still there in three weeks, outgrowing that miserable cage – I may have to rescue her. I don’t care where she came from.

We bonded.

I am delusional right now. Daydreaming of having a household with two Wheaton Terriers, one man, and one four year old.

But, hey, we could all go to puppy mill protests together. Right? Cuddling all the way.

1. Dogs, Muppets and a Secret
  2. A little mystery.
  3. Momma Cum Laude’s daughter is here!!!
  4. Man Park or Dog Park?

{ 1 trackback }

How to Sell a Car « Car Selling Secret Blog
March 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Bobbi Janay March 6, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I would have caved today, Casey is the hard one in our family. I want FootFoot to have a playmate but he says only one pet at a time.

Phoenix March 6, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I was in the same boat, until I learned that Wheaton rescue groups will not place 2 Wheatons in the same house – they apparently get very cranky with each other. Hard to believe, they are such happy, easy-going dogs! Does anyone have input on that?

mssinglemama March 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm

John actually dated a girl before (lucky) me who had two Wheatons. He says they were a pain in the a–. But, not sure if that’s in every case or not. If you find out let me know. Murphy is SO easy going. Would hate to risk throwing him into high-maintenance territory.

Evelyn Savage March 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Stumbled upon this post tonight and was taken back exactly one year…when, at a stupid birthday party I also got SUCKED in to a Petland Wheaton Terrier…….that I fell totally head over crazy heels for!!! Indifferent was being nice when describing my affection for the canine kind, but puppy mill or not our “Franklin” quickly became the love of my life. He is the best dog EVER.v I just had to comment because of the puppy photograph that looked so much like our baby a year ago. Now, he’s mostly creamy and cuddly and needy and PERFECT. Debated on getting another but am thinking I should just be happy that we’re happy. For now. ;) Love your blog lady!

Anne March 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Please don’t purchase the dog from a pet sore. Wheaten rescue groups will place a second dog in a home that already has a wheaten, it just has to be a dog of the opposite sex. I have a wheaten and I know wheaten puppies are the cutest thing in the world but if you “rescue” a pet store dog you are only serving to keep up the vicious supply and demand circle for puppy mill dogs. There is a good chance the dog will have health issues prone to the breed because puppy mill breeders don’t bother to screen for these things when breeding.

Jolene March 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Puppy mill or not, if you felt a bond to her then I say get her. I have two dogs that I purchased from a pet store and one that I got from a rescue and I love them all. The only thing I will say is to make sure you have her fully checked out BEFORE bringing her into your house with Murphy.
I have to say though… I went one year with only one dog and the minute I got his playmate it was like he was complete… I bet Murphy and the little princess will bond wonderfully.

Ellie March 7, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Aaaaw… That’s all I am going to say about the puppy :)
btw. Found your blog, loved it so much that I started my own!
Thanks for inspiration!

Jillian March 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

I absolutely hate to say this, because I hate when people are downers like this (in my head I always go “oh shut up and let them enjoy themselves!”) but I really thought I ought to bring this up- if something happens between you and John Bear, will you still want this dog? Without someone to help you, you’ll then have a son and a dog to take care of. You guys seem deliriously happy, but I’d hate for you to do something just because it seems to fit a dream and then have it not work and you be stuck with a dog that, while part of the family, is another responsibility for you. Good luck with whatever you do, and I wish all of you the best!

mssinglemama March 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Totally okay to point that out Jillian.

I looked at this as my and Benjamin’s dog… because John already has Murphy. But yes, would be much harder to handle a dog and Benjamin as a solo mama if John and I don’t work out.

An update for all of you – I think I am going to resist for a number for reasons; I have to focus 100% of my extra energy on work right now, I should wait until John and I do formally take the next step and get engaged or buy a house, and because my apartment is cramped enough as it is…

And I really don’t want to support the puppy mills.

But that is the LAST time I let John talk me into walking into a pet store to see puppies. Next time we’re going to the pound.

Amy April 2, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Good for you :)

I have been pining for another dog and am completely overwhelmed at what I have found via rescue sites. You can get a pure bred if you are pining for one or a mutt (like mine). All sorts of great dogs out there waiting for a forever and ever home!

Still working on hubby however who thinks two is enough. Hmmph! (But yeah, if I brought one home they would be bonded within days, he is such a sucker dogs :)

Hoboken Mommy March 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Awwwww, that puppy was so cute I think I’d rescue him too!

Tashina March 10, 2010 at 3:05 am

Ohhhhh, I know how you feel about bonding with the puppy. That’s what happened with my dog, and while I was hesitant at first, my mom wanted to buy her for me, so I decided she was mine. Especially since she had already decided I was hers. Plus, my mom was buying her for me. And now she’s about to have puppies! I think that I’ll probably cry when it’s time to give them up, because I just know I’ll become attached, but I cannot afford to keep them. Although, with the money from selling them, I can have my dog spayed once and for all, and not have to go through the whole “selling the puppies” thing again.

Mayra March 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hi there!! Your little man is adorable. I love his hair. I just found this blog and it has been great reading through your posts and getting to know you a tad bit better.
I’m a single mommy raising a 1 year old. Life gets rocky but in the end it seems to come together, just like it did with you. I’m glad you found someone that deserves you. You seem to be a wonderful person, a strong mother and a role model to many. =)

Can’t wait to read more.

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) March 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm

My sister is one of the managers at Capital Area Humane Society. We go visit every month or so. It was soooooo hard at first to resist getting another pet, but it’s getting easier every time. If you ever want to go there to play with sweet kitties and dogs, you can just wander in and visit. There’s no pressure and people like me spend time there without adopting all the time.

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) March 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Should have added, CAHS is in Columbus OH where we both live and is found online at http://www.cahs-pets.org.

Lauren Lauren March 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Just found your site and LOVE IT. So great to see such honesty and seriously appreciate the dating tips.
I have a wheatie – Cosmo – got him while living abroad (in an English domicile) and LOVE my little man (now 6). He’s a champion and when “we” were still married and I had more time as a stay at home mom, the idea of breeding seemed fun. In the UK – puppy mills don’t exist as badly as they do here, so breeding standards are huge. Our breeder is actually winning all kinds of awards for all of her dogs all over the world, so our boy was going to be bread. Now that “we” just stands for my DD and I, and time is no longer available, AND we are living back in So. Cal., AND my boy is having transition changes (went from a nice big back yard to a cement square box (and not to worry, lots of walks, and a momma who cries too much), breeding just doesn’t seem doable. So I was thinking about adopting from the humane society so that my boy would have a playmate to keep him busy and not alone – Wheatens sure don’t like to be alone – BUT – despite the lack of extra funds to care for vet bills etc, I am dog sitting for a friend, who will reciprocate for me in a few weeks 0- AND LET ME TELL YOU – it’s a shit load of work – not to mention a shit load of shit!.

I think I’m going to adopt a kitten instead!

Love them as puppies though, huh!
Love your blog, momma. Hope you don’t quit.