Conversations with Benjamin

by mssinglemama on February 24, 2010

“Mommy.”

“Yeah, Benjamin.”

“You have a tattoo on your butt. That’s funny. Ha. Ha. So funny.”

“Well, it’s not really on my butt.”

“Yes, yes it is Mommy! Look!”

“Okay, that’s enough, keep your hands off of me.”

——–

“Mommy.”

“Yeah, what’s up Benjamin?”

“I want to lift your car off the ground tomorrow morning. Before I go to school.”

“Okay, you can try.”

“No, I’m not going to try – I am going to lift your car.”

“Okay, Sweetie. But first go to sleep. In the morning you can try.”

“Not try Mommy!”

“Alright, alright – you will lift my car tomorrow morning. Now GO TO BED.”

——-

“Mama?”

“Yeah.”

“Is John Bear coming over later.”

“Yeah, he is. Probably in about 30 minutes.”

“Is he coming over forever, Mommy? Like, forever, like he’s never going to leave?”

“I don’t know, Honey. Hey – let’s go upstairs and play before he gets here?”

“Okay. Sure. Hey, good idea Mommy, that’s a really good idea.”

——-

“Mommy, I hate school.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I hate school.”

“Do you know what hate means?”

“No.”

“Do you like school?”

“Yeah, I like school.”

“Cool.”

1. Video: Cowboy Benjamin thwarts Mommy.
  2. Dread Pirate Benjamin
  3. A bond no man can break. Sorry guys.
  4. The muddy single mom, a fairy tale.
  5. Daddy is coming back.

MommaSunshine February 24, 2010 at 7:23 pm

4 is my absolute favourite age. I’m so sad that on Monday my youngest turns 5. I’ll miss her being 4….

Enjoy him while this lasts!!

RobinEsque February 24, 2010 at 8:29 pm

“Kid-isms” are the best. The other day Reagan was making enough paper airplanes to build not just one squadron, but two — naturally, so he could have a “war.” Well, somehow the homefront’s factory system broke down and he comes to me — “Mama, the white-paper-making machine is out of paper.” I say, “the what — the white paper — oh, you mean the printer?” And he says, “yeah, the white-paper-making machine!” Hilarious and so priceless!

MsMama February 24, 2010 at 11:28 pm

TOO CUTE!!! The other day my 3 year old daughter and I were in the store and she says “Mom, you’re boring” I said “Yea, can’t say that’s the first time I’ve heard that” so we walked for another minute or so and then she says “Mom, you’re beautiful, and I love you” I said “Oh thank you Baby, that’s so sweet and you’re beautiful too and I love you…but I thought you said I was boring?” She wasn’t really sure how to respond to that!!! LOL I loooove 3, it’s been the most fun I’ve had with my daughter!! She says the funniest things!!!

April February 25, 2010 at 7:11 am

Oh, I just love those mini conversations. You can tell they are really thinking.

Kris February 25, 2010 at 8:31 am

I LOVE capturing the lil conversations I have with my 2 year old. Last night on the way home in the car she said “momma, my bagina (she can’t say her v’s yet and uses every opportunity possible to say “bagina”) tickles me” hmmmm…
Last week I picked her up from daycare and she had an incident report that a little boy had hit her…..
Me: “why did espen hit you”
Lucy: “cuz I pushed him”
Apparently the teachers missed that!

Melissa February 25, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love 4 y/o conversations too. This has been the greatest age yet. So so cute. And it cracks me up that every conversation starts with “Mommy?” There’s no one else here, so I pretty much know you’re talking to me!

J.R. Reed February 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

I miss those days. Now my conversations go something like this:

“Daddy? I hate you.”

“Yeah? Get in line.”

“Why do you hate me so much?”

“What makes you think I hate you?”

“You yelled at me about doing the dishes and about not feeding Lucy”

“Yeah? Well I didn’t “yell”, and you were supposed to do them before I came home and I told you not to watch TV, right?”

“Yeah.”

“When I came home the dishes weren’t done and when I turned on the TV those two losers Zack and Cody were on and I’m pretty sure I haven’t been watching Disney”

(SILENCE)

“Does that answer your question?”

“Yeah….Daddy? Why do you hate me?”

“Jesus Christ, where’s the Jack Daniels???”

arscuore February 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We got home today, and the boy promptly put his swim trunks on. I said, “What are you DOING?” and he said, “I’m ready for summer!” Right back at ya babe.

Pippi February 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I’ve heard the tattoo on my butt one (my butterfly), the I hate school (that’s a regular thing) and the is BF coming over (actually we live together now, so that was last year). I have not heard the boys ask to lift my car up off the ground. :)

Stephanie February 26, 2010 at 7:43 am

too funny. Anthony is 3 and just starting to have these “talks” with me!

Stacy February 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

haha I loved the last one about hating school :)

Big Bill March 12, 2010 at 6:18 am

Sugar, that bit you chose to post about “is John Bear coming over forever” was a bit too transparent and needy of you. You are in danger of overplaying your hand.

You need to know something about us guys who date single women with children. We know that deep down inside you are needy and wants a husband to help pick up costs and be a father to your kids, which will obviously keep us from having our own. But then again, if we really wanted kids, why would we be dating you?

We also know that you have limited marketability and you know it. By the time a single mom starts using her kids as a mouthpiece for her longings it is time to move on.

For example, the little “morning after”comments : SHE: “little jimmy said the funniest thing last night” HE: “mphh, what was that?” SHE: “he said he wanted to play ball with you forever.”

So again, you may think you are just being cute, or( like girls everywhere) you may just be trying to find a way to open a conversation (will you please marry me?) you are too afraid to broach, but you need to know that your approach is a bit too blunt and unpracticed. If I can see it for what it is, surely he can too.

Good luck on catching him!