Friends

by mssinglemama on February 13, 2010

On Friday, after an incredibly successful photo shoot for Cement Marketing client, Lifeline of Ohio, Morgan and I met up Jen K for a night out.

I think this picture speaks more than 1,000 words.

Single Mom Friends

The three of us were so happy and excited to be hanging out that people nearby asked us what we were celebrating.

Friendship.

That’s what.

I don’t know where I would be without the friendships I have formed because of this blog and the virtual ties it has afforded me. Being single moms, it’s hard to meet new people because our free time is filled with kid-time. What do you think? Is finding new friends easy for you or tough?

How do you let your guard down to trust? Is there hope for us 30+ year olds who don’t yet have a tight niche of friends to form new ones?

P.S.

I start my 7 days of the 30 Day Shred tomorrow. Will let you know how it’s going. And yes, I’m nervous but pumped, too.

1. Can single moms have married friends?
  2. New friends = good times.
  3. Toxic Friends
  4. Big Weekend
  5. I hate playdates.

Pippi February 13, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I have a terrible time meeting new female friends, especially now that I am single. I think I should take up yoga or get involved in a running group. It’s not like when the kids were little and you could meet friends through Mommy and Me classes. Too busy now.

jen_k_ February 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m learning to trust – because of friends like you who are willing to grab me by the shoulders and tell me what I need to hear.

Love you girls, both. xo

Canadian Bald Guy February 13, 2010 at 5:29 pm

It’s doubly tough for me right now. I’ve got my son every other weekend and then every OTHER weekend I’m with my long-distance girlfriend. My social life…in terms of local friends and people to hang out with…is zilch at the moment.

But between my son and my love, I don’t think I would have it any other way.

Jessica February 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm

So glad you ladies had fun last night! That photo does tell a lot. I’m hoping to get out and have some fun tonight myself! :P

singlemomma_cc February 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm

The picture says it all….I can hear you ladies giggling! Im SO in need of a girls weekend. I miss my bestie! Finding the time…the money….the sitter…girls weekend hasnt happened in 4 years. Pathetic!
MUST MAKE TIME FOR FRIENDSHIP…..like NOW.
Thanks for the reminder ladies!

christine February 14, 2010 at 1:48 am

my social life is abysmal. my kids are so little–nearly 4 and 1, that it’s hard to get away. for most of my adult life, i’ve formed friendships through work. right now i’m doing child care so i can stay home with my little ones (and because daycare for two kids is crazy expensive!), and so i’m very isolated. i have many friends, but almost all of my really close friends are scattered across the country.
i’ve done some mommy and me type of activities, but i feel so out of place and awkward. it seems that everyone else is a married stay at home mom. the first question always seems to be, “What does your husband do?” not exactly a great lead in for the single mom.

Leslie February 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Alaina, I’m so happy for you. Your life is going in a fabulous direction and you deserve it. I’m sure you understand this, but the place you are in now is remarkably different than mine and many of the women you’ve gained the respect and loyalty of. Yes, maybe it’s a symbol of hope for us, but your blog now is much more about a love story and how to integrate a new love into your child’s life. So many of us are like Christine. With three kids under ten myself, I certainly can’t quit my job, start a business, find a lover and have a girls night out. Good for you. Keep charging. Just wanted to share my views.

lara February 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I can totally relate to what Leslie is saying. Your blog has changed so much because you’ve changed. It’s not a critiscm, it’s just the truth. I used to be able to relate to you so well and you really used to speak to me. Not anymore. I used to feel like I had a relationship with you. Not anymore. It’s been like having a friend who you’ve seen change over the years. Some people change, but they remain who they are in their core. I don’t feel that’s the case with you. I don’t quite know how to explain it other than that. You don’t feel genuine to me anymore which is sad, because I used to think of that as your biggest gift to your readers.

Dawn February 15, 2010 at 7:13 am

I have found it very hard to meet new friends since my divorce. When I was married, all my friends were his friends wives (which of course I lost in the divorce). I have 2 teenagers so I am very busy with them. I talk to other moms at sporting events, etc. but when I try to suggest a night out-they never seem to follow through. I joined a running club, but again it seems that outside of the runs others claim to not have a lot of free time.
I find it very isolating.

Morgan February 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Friendship! That is what!
That’s what it is all about, actually.
And I’ll tell you something, it is single mom friendships that make me feel the most loved, accepted and celebrated. So excited about all to come to you and the hard work you have put into Cement Marketing; so grateful to have finally met JenK.

More weekends like these to come!

Leti February 16, 2010 at 4:09 am

You look really great and happy

Stac February 16, 2010 at 6:18 am

I’m socially inept. I don’t meet new people, and while I get along with work folk, I don’t hang out with them (I’m productive, but the office eccentric apparently). When I go out, I go to my (married) best friends house and hang with her and her husband, and their friends. Well, some of them I consider my friends too, but you get the point. My mother always says “You’ve never going to meet anyone at K’s house”. I know she’s talking about a man, but it rings true for all friends I suppose. A mom of my son’s friend (recently single) wants to go out and have a girls night, but I don’t call people (remember socially inept), so I wait to see if she will call. I really feel the need to meet new people lately, especially since I got rid of my baby-daddy again (eventually I’ll learn he’s never going to change). I don’t want to date, but I’d like to have some new experiences and people in my life.

Rita Baldonado February 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Oh God bless you . . . Yes, there is HOPE for you 30 + single Mom’s out there. I am in my 41st year, I have a five (5) year old son and I am loving every minute of it. Letting your guard down is never an option…not at first, it takes time. Also a tight niche…well, I don’t even have a tight niche of meeting / keeping friends by this point. You will know which friends are passing thru and which ones are here to stay. We cannot control our ever changing surrounding environment. People are losing jobs, moving away, going abroad…sense of in security, just a bit. Always, always keep in touch w/ those good, close friends no matter what. You can still grow with one another – even thru long distance, plus then you have somewhere to go visit… touche!!!

mommybella February 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Oh. I have not made one friend since having my son. It’s soooo lonely, but I don’t know what to do. I don’t have a close friend to chat with or lean on at 2am. Its so tough to be alone as a parent, but to also be alone. I don’t know? maybe theres something wrong with me. I just don’t get it. as single mothers it’s very lonely, and have great friends is your life line!

Columbus Dating February 18, 2010 at 7:34 am

I have lots of friends here in Columbus. I’m 32 years single living and very simple nature. I have a very close friend her name is mariya. I love her too much but I have proposed her yet.,I’m very afraid about this matter. Could anyone help me how should I propose her for marriage ?? I would extremely grateful of you.

Thanks in advance!

JD February 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Wow – right now I’m feeling super blessed. There is no way I could have survived the past 7 weeks (since finding out about my husband’s choices for the last 2 years) without my girlfriends. One of which, I only met about 5 years ago and she has been a life saver.

You have to keep trying to open yourself to other people and as women I think this is especially important because as I’m finding out now. I simply would NOT be standing up today without these women.

Anytime any of you ladies are in Charlotte – come on. I’ll take you out.

Las Vegas Dating May 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Never expect sex on a first date. If all you are after is sex, you have come to the wrong place for reading material. If you are looking for the girl of your dreams, there is nothing sexier than a patient man. You are easily capable of waiting for the right woman.

Elite London Escorts agency May 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I\’m happy I found this blog, I couldnt discover any info on this subject matter prior to. I also run a site and if you want to ever serious in a little bit of guest writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, i\’m always look for people to check out my site. Please stop by and leave a comment sometime!