Fierce

by mssinglemama on February 7, 2010

Just look at this kid and try to tell me he isn’t going to be a fearless athlete.

_MG_6594

Here he is yesterday, on our second trip out trouncing and sledding around the neighborhood.

_MG_6595

Clearly ready to beat the snot out of any snow man that tries to ruin his day. Give Benjamin an accessory – like a sled – and he gets into position, as if he’s been doing it for years

_MG_6604

Breaking his concentration only to shout at his Mommy slave, “run faster Mommy! FASTER!”

_MG_6607

After a few hours of sled-walking-pulling (too scared to take him on a big hill because we are in a two-week health insurance lapse) we packed up into the car and headed to a bowling tournament for the MJB Foundation. And after one too many of Benjamin’s balls landed (and stopped) in the gutter

_MG_6623

John Bear lent a hand, or two

_MG_6638

And then I saw – for the first time – Benjamin’s first victory dance. Each one started like this. With Benjamin, intensely watching the ball

Bowlingbefore spinning around

_MG_6655

and then pumping his fist into the air with a loud and very masculine, “Yeeessssss.”

_MG_6706

and then, all while shouting “Yes! Yes! Yes!”

_MG_6707

he would run back to his team

_MG_6708

and actually go airborne

_MG_6711

before making it to their open hands for a high-fives and big hugs.

_MG_6712

He gets the athleticism from his father, the competitive spirit from his mother and with this guy as his coach -

_MG_6674

If anything, Benjamin is going to be a fierce bowler. But I also have dibs on bobsledding.

See more pictures of our snowy bowling weekend (including John Bear’s perfect form) here.

No related posts.

Pippi February 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

In the first two pictures, he seems to be saying “Bring it on..you want some of this?!” What a happy boy!

Courtney February 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Benjamin looks like he was having a blast! He is such an adorable little guy. You are obviously doing a great job with him.

arscuore February 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Wow! So happy you all are finding such happiness!

christine February 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm

oh my gosh, i LOVE his coat! you’ve got great style, mama.

mssinglemama February 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Christine! The coat is from one of our favorite kids clothing second-hand stores. Unbelievable, wool and everything.

Rachel February 7, 2010 at 6:20 pm

The picture of them getting ready to push the ball is SO cute. It could be the cover of a Father’s Day card!

Juli February 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

I would totally be framing the photo of Benjamin between John’s legs. Classic shot with great framing and composition. Are you sure you don’t have a future in photography?

mssinglemama February 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Okay, okay… you have all convinced me to frame the sucker. It is a good shot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think I take about 150 pictures a day but that one is particularly awesome.

Sheila February 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Benjamin is adorable!

Glenda February 8, 2010 at 1:29 pm

He is too cute! Pictures put a smile on my face! thanks for sharing! and definitely love the one of John and Benjamin (backview between the legs)

Jim Brochowski February 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I agree with the card suggestion above. These are some classic pics.
It was very cool to be able to meet you and Benjamin. I’m glad you had fun.
Very grateful for the shout out for the MJB Foundation.
We really appreciate you coming out to Bowl for Joy. When we first talked with John he mentioned how much he loved golf so I’m hoping if not before that we might get to see you all at Golf for Joy too.
Also, thank for taking the time to meet my friend Kelly. That was very cool!

mssinglemama February 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I still can’t believe people read my blog – let alone “real” people, so the pleasure was all mine. John will definitely be at the Golf for Joy. And he’s been begging me to try golfing and I can’t think of a better reason to learn!

Thanks again for having us and hosting.

RobinEsque February 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm

LOL … looks like it was a beautiful day for everyone all the way around!! Such a gorgeous memory, eh?

Katherine SOLO dot MOM February 8, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Awesome pictures, Alaina. What a great day – and yes – a fierce athlete you have there.

Martha February 8, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I’ve been a lurker for sometime. I’m tired of your act. You are the most conceited person. I’m glad you have your fans who you give “hope” to, but they don’t need you and I wish they new that.

Stac February 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

I’m not going to attack, just question. Why? Especially at this post, a post that is just about a fun day she had with her loved ones? I’m not exactly sure why this one put you over the edge, and it makes me curious. While I disagree with you completely, I suppose you are entitled to your opinion, I just don’t understand it. I suppose you also have problems with parents who pull pictures out of their wallets to show people of their adorable children, because this post is just the electronic version of it.

singlemomma_cc February 9, 2010 at 7:47 am

Hey there lurker! Two quick things…
1: “i wish they new that” should be “I wish they KNEW that”

2: We do know that. She doesnt need us and we dont need her but we do all have the same common respect for one another and appreciate the support of our friends/fans.

CruisinTam February 9, 2010 at 10:31 am

Martha, then why read? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

boardermom February 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Martha — It’s not about giving us hope. It’s about finding someone to whom we can relate. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions. So, I supposed, I’m entitled to STRONGLY disagree with you.

Eileen February 9, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I’ll just say it. Wow, Martha, you are such a bitch. From all of the other single mamas out there – and this one – who wishes that there had been this blog to read when her (now 19 year old sophomore in college) son was small, just go away.

Christi February 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I’m inclined to agree w/ CruisinTam… If you dislike the blog so much, then why on earth are you still READING it..? I’m thoroughly confused. And you know what.. she DOES give some of us hope. Hope that us single moms can find our way back to happiness. Go be hateful somewhere else, because this is a positive place to be – unless someone like you manages to wedge your negativity in somewhere!

J.R. Reed February 9, 2010 at 5:40 am

With the missing teeth he looks like a hockey player. I also have a message to Martha: Do you wish her fans “new” that or that they “knew” that? I’m sure many “knew” but I’m not sure how they would “new” that…

Adventuroo February 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

That shot of John helping your son bowl is just priceless! You’ve gotta frame that!

busymomma66 February 9, 2010 at 7:43 am

Don’t let the haters get you down! They have a choice of going elsewhere and to hang around and just spew hate–well obviously they are the conceited ones–to think we care about their opinion. Very cute shots and looks like a totally fun day!! You got 2 great guys there!!

Jenn February 9, 2010 at 7:56 am

This is one of my favorite posts Alaina. Benjamin is adorable and you can very clearly see how happy he is with you and John Bear. Love, love, love the shot between the legs! These are wonderful memories you are building!

As for the hater, busymomma66 is absolutely right. You have a choice on whether or not to read your posts, if you don’t enjoy the stories and what is being shared on this blog – stop reading it. No one needs your negative attitude.

NetterB February 9, 2010 at 8:01 am

What a fun-filled day. It was so nice meeting you at Bowl for Joy. I’m glad you all could brave the weather and come out for some good times. Your son is a beautiful bundle of energy. The pictures and your blog are testament to how you treasure him and your memories you are creating.

Gitte February 9, 2010 at 8:09 am

Don’t let the hater get you down! I am absolutely crazy about your stories and your photos, keep up the good work!

Dawn February 9, 2010 at 8:21 am

There are one million Marthas for the one and only Alaina. And thank God for that. Benjamin rules, the photos of a happy little boy roll my rock … and so do you my dear one!

Gitte February 9, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks so much for Ms. SingleMama Approving my blog! It sure means a lot, you’re so nice!!

Marie T (in NC) February 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Just wanted to echo — yeah…hater…go find something else to do….like move on to something else. Maybe a grammar class…

love those pictures and those smiles!

Jennifer February 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Awesome pics and a fun day. I love your blog! Thank you a million times over as I am beginning my single mama journey with my little girl and need all of the support I can get. This blog is more than hope – lurkers go away and find your own space on the web…lord knows it’s big enough. We don’t want you here.

Stephanie @ Geezees February 9, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Awesome pics!

T February 10, 2010 at 10:15 am

I love these little peeks into your life. Beautiful. And what great photography work!

Glenda February 10, 2010 at 10:58 am

Give your haters the attention they need quickly… They jusT need a lil hug!!! lol… KEEP doing YOU Alaina!!

Single Mom in New England February 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

OH, I just had to say I LOVE that series of photos of the victory dance/love shining from your son’s eyes at the bowling alley!!! What a precious moment to be so fortunate to capture forever. And your man’s smile at the end is priceless. Thanks for making my day even better!