Self-portrait

by mssinglemama on February 2, 2010

I took this picture of myself in my office the other day.

It felt weird.

To take my own picture, but I had to for our Sway website (currently in the works). So I set the camera on top of three books and an end table then hit the auto-timer. Somewhere in the span of 10 seconds it caught this picture.

Alaina Sheer

I like it. Not only because it’s a cute shot (it is pretty cute – it’s okay that I think that, right?) but because it captures exactly how I feel right now.

When I am an old lady (hopefully I get there) lying in my bed, daydreaming about some of the best days and times in my life – this will be one of them, one of those shining years. And when I am grasping for the memory, the feeling of what it feels like to be living my life in this moment – I’ll look at this picture (assuming I can still see).

It started one year ago, last February when I went to Joshua Tree. The oasis where the past and the future meet. Remember? That place is magical. Seriously.

So, what are you going to do to set the wheels of change in motion for your life today, this week or this year? Last February (before Joshua Tree) I quit smoking. Cold turkey.

On my one year anniversary of quitting (February 16th) I am going to challenge each of you to quit something for seven days. Just seven days. You can pick it back up after. But I am hoping all of you (under the scrutiny of myself and my readers) can stick to your commitment. You can quit anything – maybe it’s quitting thinking negative thoughts about your hair or using plastic cups.  I don’t care what it is. But we all need to quit something. And if you can do it for seven days – well, that’s a start.

Little victories like that are huge in the game of life.

I hope you don’t all throw eggs at me now and boo me away for being all preachy. I don’t mean to be. What do you think? What will you quit?

P.S.

Check out even more pictures of our new space and our team on the Cement Marketing Flickr account.

Amy February 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Beating myself up mentally! I could do with a weeks break 🙂
(I am currently unemployed which is fine financially for now but I refuse to let myself enjoy it.)

T February 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Beautiful pic Alaina. I am so happy to see life moving in the direction of pure bliss for you! Congratulations.

Juli February 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Swearing. It’s crude and tasteless and horrible when I let something slip around my boys. It will be a tough one to break, but worth it if I can.

Jessica February 2, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I am so proud of you! You are taking a huge leap and are open to what the universe is bringing you. Positive thoughts, hope and strength being sent your way, my dear.

MommaSunshine February 3, 2010 at 4:12 am

It’s always encouraging to see the pieces of life falling into place. Happy for you, girl. 🙂

Pippi February 3, 2010 at 6:10 am

Totally cute picture – I love the tights! I m going to quit thinking negative thoughts about my body (as referenced in my post this morning..that I am a fat person living in an average body). I think I can do that for seven days..I know I can. Thanks for the movtivation.

kristin February 3, 2010 at 7:39 am

I think I can take that challenge for 7 days… thanx

Flavio February 4, 2015 at 2:20 am

Yep. Gulf’s logic is that if more people don’t work, they won’t qiualfy for unemployment nor welfare, and will be thrown out of the house, so millions dying from neglect will eventually clear out the competition for his job. September 07, 2012

Susan February 3, 2010 at 7:41 am

I love the Yellow and I think look ready to jump up and reach for the stars.

Irene February 3, 2010 at 9:28 am

Before I even read this post, I had already decided to make this week meaningful. I am making myself work on not procrastinating this week. I’m keeping the TV off at night and getting things in order. I even did my taxes last night! It feels great.

singlemomma_cc February 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

WootWoot! #assslap Congrats!!! It rocks to see your hard work pay off! An inspiration as always~

Katherine SOLO dot MOM February 3, 2010 at 10:21 am

That’s a great picture, Alaina. And yes, it’s ok to think it’s cute – imho.

Now what am I going to quit for seven days? Not raising my voice when I have to tell the kiddos something more than four times. Can I do it? We will see.

Dawn February 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

You in this picture, takes me back to 24 all over again. I have not looked back once since then. Having your fate in your own hands is living grand. While climbing the mountain, never look down. Or so to say, let no doubts waver you.

What was meant to be will be. You are a shining star 🙂

Sheila February 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

I am truly shocked that all that was last year. Last year??? Unbelievable how many changes happened in such a relatively short amount of time. Amazing!

I promise to stop obsessing over things I cannot change ….

A Mother's Thoughts February 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I love it personally!! So beautiful yet with a smidgen of awkwardness!!

I have a post quite simular, check it out, I think that you will like it! It’s sometimes hard to just enjoy the simple beauty that we bring to the table.

Lynn

Lori February 3, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I LOVE this picture of you! So full of life and movement… and warmth. I found your blog recently, and love it. I showed it to my husband, because we are also working towards our own thing. Great to read about someone else who is there!

Oh, and thing I will quit for seven days… TV.

arscuore February 3, 2010 at 2:21 pm

complaining. I’m a much more positive person now, but I’m involved with someone who’s even more positive than me, and complaining is something that is inherent in my profession. Don’t want to do it anymore (or at least as often). That’ll be my goal.

Amy February 3, 2010 at 11:04 pm

BTW this is a fabulous picture of you.. You look business savvy but with personal style and spunk!

Stac February 4, 2010 at 6:41 am

I love the picture….

I quit smoking on a weekly basis. No really….every week I say I quit…so since I’ll probably be trying to quit again on that day, I’m going to pick something else.

So I’m going to quit cheating on my diet. No it’s not the type of diet that is for losing weight. It’s a medically prescribed diet so that I don’t lose weight, or get sick or feel like crap. (My tummy doesn’t like to digest, yup, i eat, and it sits there) You would think if cheating makes you feel like crap you wouldn’t do that…but every single one of my favorite foods is on the “Don’t eat” list. Interestingly enough though, squirrel is on the list of “Approved” foods. Not that I’ve ever tried it.

Ms. Single Mama February 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

That’s a good idea. Mix it up. ; )

mommietopearl February 4, 2010 at 9:49 am

much kudos for kicking the smoking habit!!!!!!! I admire your boldness and new adventure within this new company. Ive been kinda lurking reading your blog for a while… Your energy is contiguous.

As for quitting something…. hmmmmm quitting stinking thinking on myself. I always find I put myself down in my mind, and out loud now. and I need to stop that. Because its only a matter of time before my words become who I am.

Ms. Single Mama February 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Do it! And yes, your thoughts and words dictate who you are. Saying something out loud actually has an even more profound affect than thinking it, because we speak it and then hear it. Can’t remember where I heard that… but definitely true.

JennyMac February 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great photo. And congratulations on breaking up with nicotine. My brother did it and has been smoke free for 2+ years now. Bravo to you both.

Bear February 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Congratulations. 🙂

Sally February 5, 2010 at 12:04 am

You look really awkward in this photo.

auntie February 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

just reading your blog for the first time, and i LOVE this picture! it looks very much like something that would be taken for a magazine shoot where the celebs are trying to be “nonchalant” – except you actually look like you’re not trying! very cool.

looking forward to reading more 🙂

Micah February 3, 2015 at 4:48 am

I’m afraid your right.People drop out, the nuerbms go down. So how do we convince people to register for work so we can get an ACCURATE number? How do we get the people who sleep through the political scene, or watch liberal media, to start paying attention? September 07, 2012