Santa, Baby

by mssinglemama on December 5, 2009

[An entirely true story for the season and poking a little fun at the new FCC rules]

On the way to this morning’s Snowflake run we spotted a Santa-elf-old man-sexy chick hybrid

Santa woman

then a bodyless, fro-wearing Santa

Afro Santa

As soon as Benjamin realized they were fakes he went back to obsessing over his new Playmobile knight.

IMG_3499

[Dear FCC: Playmobile did not pay me to say that. I bought my son a Playmobile because I grew up playing with Playmobiles and I love them].

Letting Benjamin bring the Playmobile was a bad call because the pieces fall off every two seconds.

When we walked into the registration room bursting with families, little kids and mascots – Benjamin still wouldn’t break his laser focus on the knight.

“See? See (Mr. Columbus Crew Cat)? This is my golden knight!”

Columbus Crew Mascot

[Dear FCC: The Crew did not pay me to post this photo. The Cat was in the right place at the right time. But, full disclosure, a long-time friend of mine - Steve Sirk - just wrote this cool book about The Crew.]

Then we spotted the one person Benjamin had been dying to meet…

Santa in Columbus

Santa Claus.

Benjamin’s mouth dropped open and he stared up into the air at the towering man above him, with his big red suit and his stone white beard. It was the man he’d been talking and imagining up for months. Like he had been on the car ride over.

“Mommy?”

“Yeah, Benjamin?”

“I miss Santa.”

“But you haven’t met him yet.”

“Yeah. I have, mama, I know Santa. I do know him.”

A few pictures with Santa later, we heard orders from overhead: head to the starting line. Santa had moved on and we were trailing behind our friends. Pieces of the knight were still falling and Benjamin was stopping to pick up each one.

When I took the knight and put him in my pocket Benjamin dropped into a full-on, kicking, stomping and, running away from me tantrum.

I told our friends to “just keep going.” We would catch up.

And then I settled myself into the moment.I closed my eyes and wished that I had a few extra arms and maybe the ability to hypnotize him. I also felt like the worst mother in the world as every other family walked by – happy and tantrum-free.

Why my kid? Why?

Me. It has to be me.

And then up from the escalator came Santa Claus. Seeing Benjamin clearly distraught, Santa stopped and then scooped him up into his arms for a hug.

IMG_3517

A really big hug.

IMG_3519

“I miss my Daddy,” Benjamin cried into Santa’s beard.

“Well, where is he?” Santa asked.

Benjamin didn’t answer and neither did I.

Where was he?

Not there. That’s where. But we’re not sure where that is. You know what, instead of explaining – let’s just keep walking.

And so we did. Santa leading the way.

IMG_3522

All the way to the starting line.

“They can’t start without us,” he told Benjamin as we ran up – a few minutes late.

Then Santa left us to head up front – to announce the start of the race. But then he stopped and came running back, “Wait,” he said to Benjamin, “you come up here with me.”

IMG_3526

Santa took Benjamin’s hand and then (see them up there – behind the mascots?) he said

Columbus snowflake run “On your mark, get set…

Snowflake run

“GO!”

And then, they dashed

IMG_3533

together

IMG_3538

all the way to the finish line.

[And no, Santa Claus did not pay me to write this post. But I'll admit this story does seem familiar. Only in this one, there is no bell to lose and I think Mr. Benjamin will be believing in Mr. Santa Clause for the rest of his life.]

P.S.

If anyone ever gives me anything to give to you, or to mention to you – I always, always say so… that means, this blog won’t be changing at all. Full disclosure here – clearly and always.

P.P.S.

The Santa picture and more recent shots are in my new Winter 09 Photo Album.

1. Oh yeah, baby.
  2. Gone Baby, Gone
  3. One side effect of being a dating single mama…my baby is trying to make out with me.
  4. Rockabye Baby…I want to kill the Barnes & Noble lady.
  5. Evasion?

frank December 5, 2009 at 10:26 pm

That’s so awesome. Way to go Santa!!! I knew he was my hero for a good reason!

Erin December 6, 2009 at 12:47 am

Oh, my evermore… what a wonderful thing for Santa to do. What a special, and blessed, little boy Benjamin is. That just brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could give that Santa a giant high five!!!

Mine just asked me today why his Daddy can’t fly his helicopter back from Iraq to our house to see him (civilian copters fly over our house every day as we’re in the local airport’s traffic pattern). Those moments really tear at your heart no matter how old they get.

So proud of all you’ve achieved, Alaina. You are such an encouragement to so many, and most especially to Benjamin.

Sheila December 6, 2009 at 2:19 am

That is so, so, so, so, so, so, sweet!

Gitte December 6, 2009 at 2:43 am

I am 36 yrs old and I now believe in Santa again..just from reading this story.

Laura C. Ries December 6, 2009 at 6:44 am

This is the type of interaction that helps me get into the holiday spirit.

Thank you!
Laura C. Ries
Happy Single Mother

Jamie December 6, 2009 at 7:53 am

Okay, I must be very emotional today because I can’t stop crying! That is such an awesome story! Benjamin will treasure that memory forever!!!

Amber December 6, 2009 at 9:15 am

TO MOMMYS WHO HAVE KIDS WHO ARE SKEPTICAL ABOUT SANTA OR JUST LOVE SANTA:
check out this website, You say you are going to hide a camera to catch santa, then you upload a pic of your tree and when you print the picture santa is by your tree, it worked for her little girl

Alaina I bet Ben will eat this up:-) Happy Holidays!

Tricia December 6, 2009 at 9:23 am

What a great man that Santa was and obviously (probably) has children of his own. And I totally get the obsession with the one toy thing – my Brian always has one thing that he brings in his pocket and then inevitably loses it or has some other child try to take it. You’re not alone either – if it wasn’t Benjamin throwing that tantrum, I can bet some other child would have had their turn. So glad that the magic of Christmas is coming to Benjamin this year – it’s a magical age for fantasy. : )

Tammy December 6, 2009 at 10:25 am

What an awesome Santa! This story is Reader’s Digest worthy.

Pixie Stevenson December 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm

What a great story. It makes me sad as I sit here in my office with my 5 yo grandson who misses his daddy. My son missed his daddy. My son’s father missed his daddy. I’m hoping the cycle will stop soon.

Hooray for Santa!

Kathleen December 6, 2009 at 1:27 pm

All these years later, I believe in Santa again. Thank you.

lauren December 6, 2009 at 2:49 pm

awesome story.
thank you for making my heart smile today! :)

Shannon December 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Wow. What a special Santa you found!

thisnewplace December 6, 2009 at 6:55 pm

this is so precious, I think this would be a good story for kids with divorced parents (see the book “We’re having a tuesday” when you get a chance). I got chills reading this. Loooove the Santa.

Amy December 6, 2009 at 8:52 pm

What a wonderful Santa, sniff.. Benjamin is going to remember this forever..

Jim Brochowski December 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Yes Benjamin there is a Santa Claus! What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Laura December 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Oh, that is the sweetest thing. I really needed to read something nice like this today. Thank you.

Anne Y December 6, 2009 at 11:04 pm

That is so sweet! This is something Benjamin will remember forever and I’m sure he will always believe in the Jolly old St Nick!

Haley December 7, 2009 at 12:06 am

awww… so sweet.

Libby December 7, 2009 at 5:02 am

A handprint on my heart!

Angela December 7, 2009 at 9:13 am

Okay now I am crying. Wow! What an amazing story. What an amazing Santa. What an amazing mom!

Jenna Jean December 7, 2009 at 9:58 am

What a great Santa, Benjamin deserved the extra attention.

terri December 7, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Oh my heavens…I am weeping. What a great Christmas Story! Thank you for sharing.
;) t

Bohemian single mom December 7, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Awesome Santa!!…way to go!
Love your blog!!

Melissa December 7, 2009 at 2:41 pm

crying my eyes out, how sweet this story is but at the same time gut wrenching.

Lori December 8, 2009 at 8:18 am

That’s just simply heartwarming. I’d like to give that Santa a hug right back for making it better in that moment. xo

Katherine SOLO dot MOM December 8, 2009 at 8:50 am

Very cool. Really like this post.

Thanks for sharing…. your Christmas moment with us (in full disclosure). :)

Take that, FCC!

RSB December 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Magical! Amazing you have pictures to accompany the story. This photo album and story will be something Benjamin will truly treasure as an adult. I bet it will be his favorite memory of all time and something he will share with his children and the rest of the world someday.

QuirkyGirl December 9, 2009 at 10:53 am

Thanks for this story. Two days ago my 12 year old went to live with her dad for awhile to try to heal the wounds that have come from being separated (he’s in the military and has been deployed alot over the past 5 years). I know this will help her, but I am devestated. I was looking forward to Christmas so much this year, but the last couple of days (she moved on Monday) have left me wanting to crawl into an anti-Christmas hole. Which I can’t do since my other 2 daughters still live with me. Seeing Santa hug Benjamin clost to his chest and reading about Benjamin’s broken heart about missing his daddy reminded me exactly WHY it is that I asked my girl if this was what she wanted to do. It’s to heal and not hurt anymore. Seeing Santa hug him reminded me that people still do care about strangers…especially children. And seeing Santa take it a step further and race with him all the way across the finish line reminded me about the joy of Christmas and what it truly means. Thanks for this post. I needed it more than you know.

Andrea December 10, 2009 at 12:15 pm

What a great Santa have you found! I bet he is the real one! Finally Santa exists and lives in Ohio!

Mia December 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I literally cried reading that!
What an awesome post, and Santa, and kid, and mom! You are the best
XOXOX

Katie December 28, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Crying my eyes out…love this story…needs to be in a movie :)

Lisa December 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

i cannot stop crying!!! how touching:) i love it.

Marilyn December 4, 2010 at 1:12 am

A very touching story. I’m a single mom to a 7 years old boy. He turned seven the day after Christmas. I will never forget when I asked him what he wanted santa to bring him for Christmas and his birthday, he said, ” I want a dad.”. My heart dropped to the floor and choked back tears to hear him say that.. This story reminded me of that moment and made me cry. Until this day santa couldn’t bring him a dad..