The news.

by mssinglemama on October 13, 2009

I have spent the entire afternoon drafting this post, deleting it and then writing it again. I can’t find the words so I am just going to tell you… last week I accepted an offer to go back to work full-time.

I would explain but I deleted it all.

This is just such a tremendously personal decision. The men in my life have come and gone and eventually so will Benjamin, but the one thing that has and always will be a part of me is my career and my education. I tried staying and working at home and now I know that I am just not cut out for it… in the end I was spending less time with Benjamin, the stress and pressures of making it work were spilling into my relationship with John and this blog, my favorite thing on the planet even began to feel like a burden.

Then a job offer came from a company moving into the future of new media and led by a creative director who has a vision, clear direction and a tremendous amount of passion. I couldn’t refuse because passing up this kind of an opportunity felt like it would be a huge mistake.

So there it is. My big news.

The day I found out I took Benjamin to visit the best Montessori school in the city and signed him up. Miraculously, they have openings and by enrolling him there I have realized a dream I never thought possible. I will be able to provide him with an education, to give him something no one will ever be able to take away.

Next up… a new apartment or maybe a house?

To all of you who held me up and carried me through the last four months of this adventure by purchasing my eBook and my New Leaf necklaces, thank you from the bottom of my heart – and don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere…

now, back to blogging about the fun stuff!

——

Knowing my days of freedom were numbered, Benjamin and I jumped in the car last week and drove seven hours to see his Aunt Anna and Uncle Ryan in Charlottesville, Virgnia.

IMG_1870

It was here, in Thomas Jefferson’s treasured town

IMG_1844

that Sir Benjamin took his first real poop on the potty. The bribe? An orange cape and a sword.

IMG_1913

After spending an entire day terrorizing the people of Charlottesville

IMG_1905

storming the walls of their art centers

IMG_1930defeating their playground designed for big kids

IMG_1941

and making just about everyone we saw smile, Sir Benjamin spent the night with Uncle Ryan while Anna and I went shopping. On Saturday morning we headed out into the country for some hay bail jumping

IMG_1981

That turned into hay bail wrestling.

IMG_1990

Some animal petting

IMG_2022

That turned into camera training. This is one of Benjamin’s first pictures…

IMG_2077

And then it was my turn to get a few of Benjamin who now loves making funny faces at the camera.

IMG_2089

And then we nearly lost ourselves in the corn maze.

IMG_2146

Finally, a few days and many more little adventures later we were home.

IMG_2224

To our little big city that has given us both everything we could ever dream of having.

Thanks to all of you…

1. Breaking Single Mom Love News
  2. Breaking News: A really, really cool single parent network!
  3. On Weddings
  4. His eyes, the Governor & Dave.
  5. Beauty

Karen October 13, 2009 at 3:49 pm

What matters is you are happy! Congrats

Sunny October 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Alaina –

CONGRATULATIONS! I’m very excited for you! It sounds by the way things are falling into place that this is a decision that was meant to be. And you are so right, when you give your child an education, no one can ever take that away from him (btw – I have very fond memories of pre-school and Kindergarten at my Montessori, he’s going to love it).

I know this was a hard decision for you to make but it sounds like you’re excited about it and the timing couldn’t be better.

Congrats to you (and Benjamin!)

violet October 13, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Congrats on the new job and getting Benjamin into a Montessori School. I sent my daughter to a Montessori Preschool and it was wonderful, she learned so much!
Cheers to changes to come!

carrie October 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Great news! Although, not nearly as exciting or as dramatic that I thought it would be.

Everything will work out lovely.

TwinCitiesLynn October 13, 2009 at 4:19 pm

At least you had the courage to try, most people would not, and always wonder “what if”. They say everything happens for a reason, so perhaps you would not have received this new job opportunity if you had never quit the other one.

Lindsey October 13, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Wow. Good for you. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity and looking forward to hearing about it and your new adventure. Inspiration to all us single Moms!

Toby October 13, 2009 at 4:23 pm

congrats! on the next exciting chapter of your life. thanks for sharing it with us. hugs to you and benjamin!

Melissa October 13, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Congrats!!! Benjamin will love his new school and making lots of new friends. There will be tough days, as always, but you are giving him something that I think is even more important than an education at this age — a little independence. Very important when raising little men! Enjoy these exciting changes!

Jen @ follow my bliss October 13, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Only you know what’s right for you! Congrats on making a choice that feels good to you.

jen October 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hey, at least you’ve tried it and know that it’s not right for you at the moment. Congratulations on the job.

famejane October 13, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I must admit, after all the drama, this is kind of a yawner. So you’re going back to work full-time? It”s what the rest of us do everyday.

Caroline October 13, 2009 at 5:23 pm

No. She quit her old job, went out on a limb and worked on her own and then, landed a new job. That is NOT what the rest of us do ever day.

Geez. And you’re the one who told her not to get engaged in the last post.

famejane October 14, 2009 at 2:18 am

Just to be clear, I’m not referring to her “going out on a limb and working on her own”. I’m just referring to her announcement that she’s going back to work. Admittedly my expectations were that there was going to be a more grandious announcement, like Carrie pointed out above.

T October 13, 2009 at 5:19 pm

First of all, I love that you used the word “miraculously” when describing the openings at Benjamin’s future school.

Girl, don’t you know things happen exactly the way they’re supposed to?!?

I’m thrilled for you. It sounds like it was too good to pass up!

And of all the fabulous pics above, that first one of Benjamin in his orange cape is TO. DIE. FOR!

You’re good Mama. I’m so excited about you and Benjamin’s new adventure!

Sheila October 13, 2009 at 5:26 pm

xoxo … love you, woman.

Restless Mama October 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Congrats woman!

Jill October 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Congrats!! Soooo happy for you. All the best in your new job :)

The Dumbest Smart Girl You Know October 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Congratulations! What an awesome new adventure! And it must feel wonderful to be granted the opportunity to open more new doors for Benjamin. Good for you guys, I love good news!!!

lauren October 13, 2009 at 6:55 pm

awesome, awesome news! i always believe that the best is yet to come! ;) *

Erin October 13, 2009 at 7:00 pm

This is such an adorable post! I am so glad for you, Benjamin and your future!

Charlottesville is a gorgeous town. I miss it!

Bobbi Janay October 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I am so happy for you.

Samantha October 13, 2009 at 8:12 pm

so happy for you! you ROCK at whatever you do!
as long as you and Benjamin are happy :)
sooo excited that you were able to get him into school. and a new apartment/house?! so exciting!!!
much <3

Rachel October 13, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Congratulations Alaina!

Alicia October 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm

You’r amazing Alaina. Keep up the good work, as I’m sure you’ll be great at whatever you do! Much love!

Jahnni October 13, 2009 at 10:38 pm

WOw! That’s super! You do what you have to to survive.. We all have to
Proud of you.. as it’s not easy :) x

Anne Y October 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Congratulations Alaina! I hope everything with the transition back to work goes well for you. Good luck!

Laura October 14, 2009 at 6:17 am

This is great news. Sounds like it was meant to be.

Barbi October 14, 2009 at 6:41 am

As long as your happy and Benjamin is happy, that’s all that matters. Good luck!

jen_k_ October 14, 2009 at 7:31 am
Anonymous October 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

In the future, we will all learn about new co-workers via “the social media”. When do you start?

wyliekat October 14, 2009 at 9:02 am

Congrats, sister! If blogging isn’t working as a full-time job, clearly new media is a very good alternative. May you enjoy many years of happy Web 2.0ing!

Single Mom in New England October 14, 2009 at 9:28 am

Congratulations, it sounds like a great opportunity! Very excited for you.

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) October 14, 2009 at 9:34 am

Well the new job sounds so exciting and fantastic for you… how can we not be happy and say congrats!

And next, you were so close and didn’t get this far south in Virginia? :)

j/k – glad it was such an awesome trip. Good luck with the new adventure… we want to hear all about it, of course!

Katie October 14, 2009 at 10:16 am

Congratulations! :)

Mack October 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

HI! Im a brand new fan and very soon to be single mom! (39 weeks pregnant with my first, a boy!)…. I’ve been following your blog for about a month now and love it!

Anyways, its so sad and even sexist that when woman say they have “news”… you automatically think (A) she’s pregnant, or (B) she’s getting married ^_^ Talk about a cliff hanger for a week! However I’m very happy that this is your news and I wish you and that cutie of yours (Benjamin… not that anything’s wrong with Bear) all the best

Katie October 14, 2009 at 7:40 pm

INSANE! FLIPPING AMAZING! Congrats my friend…

Kelsey October 15, 2009 at 7:56 am

Congrats, Alaina!!!! Soooo excited for you!!

Glenda October 19, 2009 at 2:43 pm

congrats! keep doing what makes you and Benjamin happy! it’s the only way to go!

Nydia October 23, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Congrats on your new job! I’m very happy for you! These are GREAT shots and the entire post made me want to go somewhere like Virginia … where the cornfields roam …

Can’t wait to hear how your new job turns out.

Sharky January 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Alakazaam-infroamiotn found, problem solved, thanks!

qjceokcn January 21, 2012 at 3:06 am