Single and Childless

by mssinglemama on September 29, 2009

I had an amazing day yesterday… not because I am all in love and stuff (although that made it nice too) but because I got to see two of my best single and childless girlfriends. And now I’m wondering what or who I would be without them in my life.

First, there’s Alison…

IMG_1553

(who is going to fricking kill me for publishing this picture of her chewing and half smiling).

Long before John Bear came along Alison and I would spend hours upon hours relaying the horrors of our dating errors and ways. Since we’ve met she’s blossomed from accepting what she can get from men to expecting only the best and she’s become one of the strongest and most beautiful single women I know. But she still has that precious optimism of a young twenty something that I drink in while we’re together, pretending like I’m back there with her for a moment. Then she tells me to “shut up” because I’m “not that old.”

I met Alison for lunch yesterday and then, after hearing the scoop on the amazing new man she’s met we stopped into Anthropologie to try on hats and coats we couldn’t afford.

IMG_1564

And because I know Alison is going to kill me for publishing these pictures I am going to publish this one of myself.

IMG_1570

Now we are even.

After Alison headed back to work I wandered across the street into See where another one of the most incredible single and childless friends of mine was hard at work, managing the place.

IMG_1573

Delcina and I pre-date my ex-husband and I’s relationship. Together we have seen it all when it comes to men and dating.

IMG_1597

When we’re together we tend to just laugh a lot, smile at each other and then shake our heads while relaying on story or another. “Do you remember when?” Later on last night, hours after my stop at See we headed out to a concert, our first night out alone in years. Yes, in years. But now I have a John Bear, which means I can actually go out and spend time with my friends outside of my own front porch or in my living room.

Alaina&Delcina

Which means for a few moments last night Delcina and I were just Delcina and I again.

1. How to date the childless.
  2. Single Mom Night Out
  3. Can single moms really “fall in love”?
  4. When Do You Tell Him You’re a Single Mom?
  5. The birthday scramble and single mama shopping.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Working Single Mom
January 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm
Expectations
July 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Lori September 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm

My Delcina lives in Boston, where we always imagined we’d live together in a cute apartment before we’d ever settle down and/or have kids. I live in SE Ohio, near Marietta- so that means one of us is traveling to see each other. At the end of July we met up in Columbus for the wedding and reception at the Jessing Center. We had almost 3 full days for it to be Rose & I. Like when we were roommates in college. And it makes me miss her so effing bad. And miss the old me even more. It’s kind of awesome to feel that free, if even for a day or night. Glad that you’ve got J.B. there to give you some of what you’ve been missing. (in more ways than one ; P )

Suzanne (Crunchy green Mom) September 29, 2009 at 2:41 pm

My Delcina will be here in 3 days.

It has been 2 years since we saw one another. I can not wait to watch the Cowboys game together, talk about the horrible ex’s, have her meet my new guy and enjoy the cooler weather of Colorado with someone from Texas. I miss eating at Hooters with her and rubbing her head while we vegged on the couch and remembered how we met.

All 7 kids will be out of the house for the weekend, they will be safe with their dads and I get to show the world I am in now… my best friend… the one part of my world that will ALWAYS mesh.. no matter where I am.

I am so excited!
Thank you for reminding me to appreciate this moment with her.

arscuore September 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Mine lives near Pittsburgh, and I haven’t seen her face in a couple of years. We talk irregularly in the phone, and I MISS, MISS, MISS her. But she’s not single. She’s a pastor’s wife (I’m not a fan of her husband, who acts more like a d*** than a man of God), has 3 kids, and is working on her doctorate while doing full-time work outside her home. Thanks for the post. I think I’ll give her a call tonight! : )

Jenna Jean September 29, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I love that hat, Anthropologie rules.

Becky September 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

My situation is a bit different. I’m the single and childless one, and my Delcina lives thousands of miles away and is pregnant with her third son. We’ve been best friends since we were 16 and though she married young and started a family long before my other (still) single friends, she’s the one I email/IM every day. And every time we see each other, about once or twice a year, it’s as though we still see each other every day. And I get to see her in just two days when I make my annual trip to her side of the country this weekend! To make our time together even more perfect, her husband (wonderful, WONDERFUL man that he is) surprised us both with a weekend away in the mountains at a spa while HE stays home with the kiddos! Yay for best friends and their husbands/significant others!

Bobbi Janay September 29, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I am glad that you enjoyed your day, also love Alison’s necklace.

keliana September 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm

My best bud lives in Hawaii…while I’m in Texas. I call her or text her with anything that happens daily lol. We both started out young moms, and found ourselves divorced by our thirties. We are a step away from 40 but we will be celebrating our birthdays together next summer.

Lesha September 30, 2009 at 7:21 am

I am so so fortunate that my bestest bestie lives right down the road from me.
We’re both moms, and both going through a divorce but we try find time to have some kid free time to just giggle and talk and laugh about our bad choices and the better choices we’ll be making in the future. It’s another reason I’m so glad I moved back home!

Miami Office Space April 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

awww is amazing when we have babies and we let them in the house for just one night, and we go out with our frien, the feeling is amazing because you feel a little big relaxed

Korey Goodkin October 18, 2013 at 1:41 am

Terrific collection, Eric, appreciate it. Bookmarked and shared :)

Trey Briggerman October 24, 2013 at 6:16 am

There are some interesting closing dates on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly