Growing pains

by mssinglemama on September 24, 2009

I am beyond busy right now.

Things are happening and I’m not quite sure what will come of them but I have to be focusing my attention on all of these things, and there are a few.

Namely the funky smell creeping up out of my basement and my apartment that needs to be cleaned three times as often as it used to because I am here all day long messing it up. And this week Benjamin’s father bailed because he didn’t have the $10 in gas money to get up here. Yes, a winner that one.

Did I already mention that I am busy?

So busy I can’t even write a blog post worth reading. What is happening to me? I am growing in so many ways but being a work-at-home mom is by far the most stressful and time consuming job I have ever had. Not that the rest of you hardworking individuals aren’t out there busting your butt every day but come on – could you really do what you do with a three year old jumping up and down in the same room shouting and screaming at you to transform his Transformer that happens to be covered in some kind of mysterious goo?

Sure, there are the rewarding moments like when he looks up at me and tells me, “Mommy, I love you so much, I really do.” Or when his pre-school teacher tells me what an amazing colorer Benjamin has become, “filling in every empty space and practically staying within the lines.” But I’m not sure if I can handle this stay at home, work at home mom thing.

Time will tell. While I wait for adaptation to kick in I wanted to take my new readers back to an old school video of Benjamin. I think this was one of the first we made for my little blog.

Can you believe how much he has grown? YouTube tells me that video is from June 3, 2008. He was that little one year and three months ago? Not possible. And he was only missing one of his now two missing front teeth. What next? Will he grow another arm or something?

I measured him today and he has grown two inches since July 31st. Two inches. So doesn’t that mean he is growing 1/32nd of an inch every day? Amazing. What a little shit. And he tells me so too, every day he says, “Look, Mommy! I got bigger!” He’s up to something and I’m on to him. As for you work at home moms – my hat is off to you. I truly don’t know how you do this.

Watch the rest of my videos here to catch up on what you’ve missed. And if you’re wondering what happened to Benjamin’s two front teeth read this.

1. The oddest day.
  2. Obama Calls Out Dead Beat Dads
  3. Breaking Single Mom Love News
  4. Boxed in…
  5. His father wants to take him…I’m freaking out.

Michele September 24, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I TOTALLY know what you mean. I am a work-from-home Mom as well. My daughter is 5, and I have worked from hom since she was born.
Oh…. the stories I could tell. Which is actually why I started blogging in the first place, because of all the crazy stuff she would do, or get into while I was “busy”. (I blogged them all) hysterical stuff.
“just give Mommy 5 more minutes” has become the most over-used phrase EVER in our house.
I gave her an old computer, set it up at a little kids desk in my office, so now she sits and “works” with mommy. She loves it. Just a thought….

Wonderful blog… LOVE IT!!! You’re absolutely amazing!!!
(sorry for the wordy comment…. just had to tell you how much I enjoy “visiting” with you each morning)

mssinglemama September 26, 2009 at 4:41 am

Thank you for the kudos on the blog and for making me feel less along in this. I can’t wait to pop over to your blog. Sounds hysterical.

ashlea September 25, 2009 at 3:26 am

I’m a musician. Practicing at a pro level requires intense concentration and attention to every endless detail….yes, seemingly MUCH EASIER without two kids bouncing off the walls, fighting, whatever. And the house DOES need more work when both you and the kids are home messing it up (lunch disaster!). Working from home is “the best of both worlds”….?????? Uhm, no, it is THE HARDEST of both worlds thrown together into one sweet little tornado that will test your every limit. Best of luck. You will learn more tricks to make it easier as you go. : ) One hard truth: more important that you get enough sleep. I could always go and go on less than optimal sleep because I am really really driven BUT with the kids, if I don’t have enough sleep, I can still go and go….just have NO PATIENCE for them. I try to sleep 7-8 hr at least 5/7 days a week, just so I they don’t grow up remembering me as a total freaked out screaming wreck!

debra September 25, 2009 at 5:09 am

oh, well, see, I was going to say my solution when working at home until my son was 4 was sleep deprivation. I had the flexibility to work when he was asleep, so I’d get up before him, get small periods of work time during the day, take him out to get sunshine and exercise for both of us, then work after he went to be. Yes, long 4 years.

Hang it there. It’s so worth it to spend time on your passions, and to spend so much time with Benjamin before he’s in school all day.

mssinglemama September 26, 2009 at 4:40 am

Yeah… this is what I have been doing Debra, but I think this is what is driving me nuts. I really like this idea of making myself get 7-8 hours, 5 nights a week. Very wise advice.

Kona September 25, 2009 at 11:00 am

Duuude. I have been doing the work-at-home thing since February, when Cooper was just 4 months old. He’s getting ready to turn 1 on Tuesday, and I am about to lose my damn mind. I adore him, and I’m so glad we get to spend this time together, but I live and die by his naps. If he decides to cut one short, then my day goes to hell. I’m looking into daycare for him two days a week, because 1) he needs to be around other kids, since I’m pretty sure he thinks he’s a puppy, and 2) Ohmygodshhhhhquietplease.

mssinglemama September 26, 2009 at 4:39 am

Yes, find a good daycare because a sane mommy is far better than a crazy mommy. Benjamin MUST go to school because he LOVES it. But now that I am working for myself I can drop him off later and pick him up earlier. I have noticed a big difference in him since being home… I can also take a day off if I want and keep him home if I think he is needing the extra attention.

Meg September 25, 2009 at 11:38 am

There is no way I could do it. My only job is to stay home and make sure the baby and house stay clean…and I can hardly do that most days! Well. Plus grocery shopping, paying bills, playdates…add working @ home to that and I might lose it. Kudos!

mssinglemama September 26, 2009 at 4:36 am

I know! One thing about working from home and being home all of the time and having more time is realizing just how much there is to do… it’s really quite amazing.

Rachel September 25, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Yes, working from home is really really hard. So many times I wish I could work in an awesome where someone else cleaned the toilets or where I didn’t have to lock myself in the basement to make a phone call without crazy loud noise in the background. But my daughter is thriving with me able to tend to her needs and the lack of childcare cost is nice. Trade-offs and balances…

mssinglemama September 26, 2009 at 4:37 am

I hear you. Pluses and minuses. Benjamin is still in pre-school three days a week and even that is rough on me. I think for me, having been in an office for so long (with clean toilets) that it’s been harder to adjust to than I thought.

mom23inmd September 27, 2009 at 12:18 am

I hear ya. I used to work from home 100% of the time, and the balancing act between toddlers and work is absolutely maddening. Now, I can still work from home about 1 day a week, but my sitter is here and keeps them out of my hair. And, they are old enough to understand that when I am wordlessly pointing to the phone, they need to stay quiet.

And also, I know what it’s like for the ex to bail because of money. My ex went 9 weeks without seeing the kids this summer, for that very reason. Such asses.