A messy business

by mssinglemama on September 13, 2009

“Are those poop bags in your pockets again?” I see the top of a bright blue plastic bag sticking out of his shorts.

“I always come prepared,” he says. Always is right. John Bear is seldom without a poop bag or two sticking out of his cargo short pockets. I’m always telling him to stick them back in while teasing him profusely for being such a dork. “Stop laughing,” he adds, “one day I’ll have our kid’s diapers stuffed in here.”

Gulp.

Visions of three more years of diapers are flashing through my mind and I give him one of my looks.

“What? No? Is that a bad thing?” He asks.

“No,” I relax my eyebrows and smile, “It’s fine. Really fine actually.”

My thoughts don’t even venture where they typically would with the typical men of my past. Instead they stay safely seated in the upright position, ready and willing to believe that happiness does not necessarily have an expiration date.

But that doesn’t mean there won’t be a ton of shit to clean up along the way.

—-

We went to a Browns game this weekend for Fiesta Movement Mission #5. Pictures will be posted as soon as I get some sleep and just a little bit of time.

xoxo

Amyinbc September 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm

As a fellow dog lover I can relate 🙂 Poop bags just part of the territory. As are diapers for little love spawn 😉

Isle Dance September 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I’m glad you’re sharing this life and love story of yours. It’s giving me hope…

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) September 14, 2009 at 5:34 am

Yes there is hope.

I am so happy for you, Alaina! Yours and John Bear’s is a beautiful story unfolding right before our eyes.

Thanks for sharing.

Samantha September 14, 2009 at 7:57 am

that made my heart go “pitter-patter” for you. so happy for you!!!

boardermom September 14, 2009 at 7:59 am

I think whenever it gets to the point in your relationship when the guy casually mentions things like “our kids diapers,” it automatically sets us on edge. Because part of you REALLY wants that. And the other part doesn’t want to let down your wall to actually let that happen. At least that’s how I’ve been feeling.

mssinglemama September 14, 2009 at 8:45 am

Definitely… when you’re a single mom, you’ve been so tremendously hurt. I mean, for all of us, to have been with and had a child with a man who (in most cases) left or forced us to leave – it’s so hard to trust and to allow yourself to want that love again.

Letting yourself want it and recognizing that you want it is a huge step but it’s A LOT easier when you feel the same way about the guy and when you know you’ve got a good one who isn’t going anywhere.

I hope that makes sense. But, no worries, that’s how we all feel sometimes.

Remember this post?

Glenda September 14, 2009 at 11:44 am

So happy for you! Thanks for sharing your love story! Diapers! yay! it’s great to look into the future with someone that you want to share that future with…someone that is on the same page as you! GREAT!