Man Park or Dog Park?

by mssinglemama on September 10, 2009

I would never compare men to dogs. Never.

Nope.

It’s just not my style.

I love my men.

Before I found John Bear many of you called me a man-hater. But now I’m a walking talking dog and man loving machine. Yesterday, inspired by your adventure stories, we hopped in the car and went to the dog park. Being a dog virgin I had no idea what to expect.

There were a lot of dogs. A lot of dogs. Running and jumping and slobbering everywhere.

DogPark

But to my surprise there were also a lot of men.

IMG_0878

I couldn’t be sure about the dogs but the men, based on their ring fingers, all appeared to be single. And for the first time, in a really, really long time, I didn’t even think about dating a one of them. I’m so taken, it’s ridiculous. Instead I picked up the phone and called Mia, “You’ve got to get to the dog park – there are single men EVERY WHERE.”

“But they all have dogs,” she said.

“What? WHO CARES! I gotta go,” I had to hang up because Benjamin was about to be tackled by one of the said dogs. Don’t get your tails in a bunch about Mia being yucked out by dogs.

I was her 5 months ago. I hated dogs. Hated them. Couldn’t even stand the sight or smell of them. I wasn’t one of those bitchy people who cowers at dogs when someone walks by with one. I thought they were kind of cute – but only on special occasion. Mia will come around and soon I’m going to take her to the dog park.

As for Benjamin… well, if he’s ever on a battle line in a war zone I know what he’ll do. Stand on top of the nearest hill

IMG_0868

and yell at the top of his lungs,”COME AND GET ME, HOT SHOTS!”

IMG_0867

The enemy will come

wheeler dog park columbus ohio

and then he’ll start wrestling with them and rolling around in their poop without even flinching. If there ever is another World War, I’m sending my kid to Siberia.

And next time, we go to the dog park he’s staying behind and I’m bringing Mia.

Would you eliminate a guy just because he has a dog? Not into dogs? Check out my Top Spots to Meet Men list.

No related posts.

jen_k_ September 10, 2009 at 6:22 am

Um. Wow. Can I borrow The Murph? ;) And, directions to the dog park, if you please.

Jenna Jean September 10, 2009 at 6:25 am

Dog park tip: always wear jeans and closed toed shoes. Slobber all over your thighs does not make attractive.

Erika D. September 10, 2009 at 6:29 am

Awee these pictures are cute! I Bring Santino to that same dog park all the time…its a blast and it tires him out! I’ve met alot of nice people there (mostly doting puppy parents). Miss you and baby Benjamin! Hope all is well!

Laura September 10, 2009 at 6:38 am

I’m a dog lover, always have been, always will be. When I met my husband he had to learn to love my dog… and he did. But, to your post- I started to take my dog to a dog park and met lots of people. One guy was single and ended up dating quite a few women he met at the dog park. I was already with my husband so it was fun to help him pick out women and watch him get to know them. After awhile the married women at the park started to help him more and we all tried to set him up with our single girlfriends. Without that dog park, he never would’ve had access to all the wonderful women he dated. My friend Jen ended up introducing him to her coworker. We all met for happy hour and now, 5 years later, they are married, have a baby and 2 dogs. One big happy dog loving family!!!

Karen September 10, 2009 at 7:54 am

For some reason, I’m glad to hear you used to hate dogs, too. I can’t stand to have them anywhere near me. As a single gal, I only seem to meet guys who own dogs.

But after following your story for a while, I’ve learned that life can surprise you. You never know, one day I might be converted by a dog lover myself. Now I know where to look, just in case.

T September 10, 2009 at 8:30 am

LOVE dogs. LOVE men.

Great idea.

;)

Dawn September 10, 2009 at 8:56 am

Don’t have a dog … go to Lowe’s. A smile in every aisle.

Taylor September 10, 2009 at 9:26 am

I was always a cat person until I got my Ranger (Australian shepherd). It helps when you get a dog as a puppy because nobody, I don’t care who you are, can resist a puppy! As they grow up you become bonded for life and any dog owner knows, they actually become part of the family!

p.s. you can probably tell a lot about a man by how they interact with their dog. If the dog is well trained and if the man is loving and gentle with it, then it says loads about the man’s personality!

Hanna September 10, 2009 at 9:50 am

Living in Colorado, I think the ratio is 2:1 dogs to men. The odds of meeting a man WITHOUT a dog in my neck of the woods is slim to none. You just have to get over it. I like cats better myself, but hey its all about an OPEN MIND!

chrissy September 10, 2009 at 11:34 am

was never a dog person, in fact I hated them in college because I lived with 6 other gals and one dog who would eat your underpants if they were on your body. Now living in LA I love the lil’ buggers, you just cant resist!

Restless Mama September 10, 2009 at 11:44 am

If I ever meet my life mate then he’s GOT to LOVE dogs.

Love how Benjamin is king of the mountain in the photo.

Glad you were able to hang out with some dogs in a park.

Jen September 10, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Yoda says, “A great place to meet people, dog park is.” I’d totally be there trying to find the love of my life except that my dog doesn’t like dog parks!! The height of irony.

arscuore September 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Need to get me a dog that doesn’t poop…

mssinglemama September 11, 2009 at 10:45 am

When you find one, let me know. Murphy doesn’t shed, so that’s nice.

Martini mOm September 10, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Oh yes. I live in Seattle where the singles scene is HORRIFIC! Seattlites don’t speak to people they don’t know. EVER. There are entire articles written on it. “The Seattle Chill,” it’s called… and they’re not talking about the weather. Anyway, dogs are the one way I found around it. This is a very dog friendly city, so you don’t even have to go to a dog park. Just ask to pet a man’s dog (heh. insert joke here.), and he won’t stop talking to you.

I recently inherited my exhusband’s (badly neglected) dog, and I can’t take her for a walk without men approaching. I think the cone she has to wear makes for an easy conversation starter, so maybe throw one of those on your dog if you think an extra nudge might help. ;)

Of course, now that I’ve discovered this dog thing, I don’t need it either. I’m so taken too. Finally!

mssinglemama September 11, 2009 at 10:45 am

Can’t believe that about Seattle. So odd… I guess people are scared of being too nice? Or too busy? Weird.

I’m such a small town girl.

ashlea September 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Dogs are key!!!
I was seeing a guy for awhile and it all started when I wanted to see pictures of his new puppy and the pics on his phone weren’t that clear so he emailed me……..

Also, taking my kids around town for walks or bikerides, people always offer to let them pet the neighborhood doggies……..so far no single men but every new connections helps!!

In short, even if you don’t have a dog, paying attention to other people’s dogs should go on the list next to visiting Home Depot!!

hef September 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I used to love dogs. I don’t know happened

Really, no matter how cute you are, it’s hard to be into a you if you’re carrying a plastic baggy full of dog poo. I’m sure many a single man would say the same thing about diapers. No hard feelings. It’s just not might thing.

But, one day, I think it could be. If it were MY dog. You know how some people say they detest all kids except their own? Yeah, that’s me with dogs.

Amy September 10, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Oh man wish I would have thought of that one when I was single! I LOVE dogs and men WITH dogs are all that much more appealing! Yowser Bowser!

cibele September 10, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I will borrow a dog and go to the dog park LOL thanks for the tip!

2greatkids September 10, 2009 at 8:29 pm

My boyfriend is 6’2″ and has a chihuahua. One of our first dates he took me to the dog park..I had never even heard of such a thing! He adores that dog. It is very cute to watch them together. And I knew he was bold when he put his little dog in the cart and went right into Marshalls without a second thought, to shop for summer clothes for me. IMHO, it takes guts for a guy to have such a small dog. And he thought it was funny to name him Jake..which seems like such a big dog name. I am not fully converted yet.. but getting there. Hey, if he is here and he barks, he wakes up the baby. So not cool. LOL.

Meg September 11, 2009 at 10:58 am

No wonder Murphy made you love dogs! He doesn’t shed?! We have a springer spaniel. So we get dog hair tumbleweeds that blow across the lonesome prairie known as my living room floor. Gross, but I love him and wouldn’t have him any other way :)

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) September 12, 2009 at 7:36 am

Hey Meg… I have the same problem from my cocker mix… I see those dog hair tumbleweeds and just cringe… glad I’m not the only one.

I’m ok with the two dogs we have… but I have them because of the kiddos. Admittedly, if I didn’t have the kiddos, I don’t think I would have two dogs… but who knows. Of course one reason is – I like low maintenance house cleaning…and with two kiddos and two dogs… that went out the window!!!

It’s a great idea though, Alaina to meet men at the dog park…. Not sure where one is around here… but Ishould have gotten that idea years ago – maybe it wouldn’t have taken me so long to get into a decent relationship!

Anne Dunne October 24, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Single moms stand a better chance of meeting a ‘good guy’ in a dog park than in a bar these days. Guys with dogs show me they are capable of caring about someone other than themselves…hopefully.

Anonymous January 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Met a lady I like but she has two BIG damn labs and they are too much! I can’t deal with the fact that she insists I have to take them or no deal….

She loves the damn dogs more than me then…keep your dogs….bye.

Aplus September 16, 2010 at 5:18 am

How about I take my Man with to the dog park.

American Attorneys March 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

ha ha all the man who goes to those park is because they want to get a girlfriend!
invite someone to a date, and maybe fall in love