Inside the Mind of a Single Mom

by mssinglemama on September 6, 2009

What every man should know.

I can’t take credit for the awesome title of this article. Sherri over at SingleEdition.com thought of it when she asked me to write a piece for her website. Check it out and let me know what you think.

What did I miss? What other tips would you give men dating single moms?

If you are a man dating a single mom read my series on How to Date a Single Mom:

How to Date a Single Mom, Part 1: The original, very useful list of tips for the guys.
How to Date a Single Mom, Part 2:
What to tell a man dating a single mom?
How to Date a Single Mom, Part 3:
Hear from a man who spent 5 days with Benjamin and I.

How to Date a Single Mom, Part 4:
Take your vitamins.
How to Date a Single Mom Part 5:
How to win a single mom’s trust and her heart.

Alessandra September 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I just loved your article. Congrats.
I do feel that some men are so afraid of dating and committing, specially when it comes to single moms.

Nate Rivers September 6, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I think you’re article helped dis spell some myths that guys have about dating a single mom… the one for me that I worry about when meeting a woman with a kid is the ex factor. I have dated a few women who it turned out… were not over their exes.. but like you’re saying you just need to feel it out… they aren’t all like that…

Aula January 29, 2015 at 1:52 am

Hi today I visited your site first time and I liked your acetrlis I would like to read more about sex stories and advices, I hope you will have more time for writing and updating websites.

Speedgirl September 7, 2009 at 9:00 am

Great article Alaina!
As I read, I was looking for the section on realizing that you, the man, do not come first in her life. I think a lot of men are used to being the focus of a woman’s attention. That isn’t the case when dating a single mom. A sick chid will trump a romantic dinner for two. A ballet recital is more important than concert tickets to her favorite band. A man needs to know that this does not mean a single mom does not adore him – it is just a fact that her children will always come first.
What do you think?

Ms. Single Mama September 7, 2009 at 11:45 am

Totally agree.

This is something I read about a lot out there – men complaining about being #2. I’m sorry, but if any “man” complains about being second to a child – than he is a child himself.

Kids first. Period. And that is universal.

arscuore September 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Loved it. I think you alluded to it, but guys also have to be flexible in scheduling dates (and be open to living-room dates!). School nights don’t work for most moms.