Brave or just crazy?

by mssinglemama on August 25, 2009

I had lunch with a fellow social media diva extraordinaire yesterday. Known online as Advergirl, Leigh Householder, is just as awesome as you think she would be. She’s charming, witty and bursting with all kinds of class and smarts. I just adore her.

“That was really brave,” she told me when I relayed the story of my decision to quit my day job and blog full-time.

“Yes, very brave.” I glanced down into my plate and then thought to myself, or completely crazy.

The verdict is still out.

While I do feel brave and gloriously fulfilled in most moments there are always the other doubtful moments. They sneak up on me when I least expect them and I am suddenly scared to death that I am going to completely fail at this entrepreneur thing. But not once have I regretted my decision. I am trying something I’ve always wanted to try, chasing a dream that has always been calling out to me.

With that said, a former 9-5 working stiff, I am still learning how to manage my time and my priorities. Over the next few months, I will have to invest most of my working hours into my little up and coming search and social marketing group. I’ll still be here but if I you see less posts, that’s why. This heavy work load is just temporary while I get this business off of the ground.

As for the brave or crazy verdict, I’m not sure but I think it runs in the family.

img_0556

P.S. The exciting conclusion to my Trip Story is coming… just taking me a while to write between everything else.

1. Toddlers are CRAZY!!!
  2. The two bravest single moms I know.

April August 25, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I’m a firm believer that you can’t be brave without at least a partial absence of sanity, so I vote brave- 100%. Keep going, and know that there are litterally 100′s, no, 1000′s of single moms and dads (heck, married moms & dads too, I’m sure!) that totally have your back. You got this. ;)

NewSingleMama August 25, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I remember feeling this way and questioning my sanity when I quit my 9-5 to be self employed one person entrepreneur. I was worried about the stability and scared I was going to fall flat on my face any moment .. but 2 years later I still haven’t. Yes things can get heard, but just make sure to have a backup and some savings and you should be fine!

Restless Mama August 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Crazy is good. I’m a fan of crazy when it comes to being able to take a few risks here and there.

Stay brave lady.

Erin B August 25, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I say, nice work. :) Nothing ventured, nothing gained…

min August 25, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I totally understand how stressful /consumed/busy you must be with launching your new business and I understand how you cannot post as often and I am probably in the minority here BUT I do not love the long “to be continued” posts. It sort of sets upthe big expectations, then days past, and then there are details about very frustrating (but I must say common) vacation snafus like flat tires, getting lost and traffick jams. Don’t get me wrong, it is wonderful and heartening to learn that you and John are surviving and in fact supporting each other through these potentially relationship breaking type of stresses but the whole lead up, parts 1, 2, and 3 thing, in my humble opinion, is sort of taking advantage of your readers. Again, maybe I am way wrong on this but at the very least you can’t use this technique too often. TO me it feels sort of –manipulative. If you truly can’t finish up the story because of other pressing concerns I guess I get it but the sort of leaving it on the cliff hanger thing leaves your reader with a BIG expectation-s-just so you know, at least I hope you don’t always rely on this method. I am usually not so forthright in my blog comments and your blog and book has been of IMMENSE value to me but I guess I feel I can be honest because you are embarking on this as a business venture and it isn’t a purely personal thing.

Dawn August 25, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I believe in you.

heypunkin August 25, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I think you have to be crazy to take a chance but you have to take chances in life. I think its great that you took that chance! Hats off to ya!

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) August 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hey, you are my hero… so I want to say brave too….

Glad things are going so well and can’t wait to hear more about that trip!

Jenna Jean August 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

That’s a cool idea, good for you MSM.

Barry August 27, 2009 at 10:12 am

Nobody ever succeeds without taking a risk. The best description I have heard recently which I keep in my mind is a quote from a motivational speaker I know – He said “You need to Act Like a Turtle. You never get anywhere without sticking your neck out!”

Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 9:11 pm