This land

by mssinglemama on July 4, 2009

On this day, the birthday of this huge plot of land we call our country, I think we all know how lucky we all are to be here.

Even though shrouded in a veil of uncertainty and expected to trust the same people who drove this ship into these troubled waters, we keep going.

For us mothers it’s easy. We go on because we have this land’s youngest in our care, watching and studying our lead so they in turn can live through our example. Having no other choice than to trust them, our only hope is that the leaders of the free world care about them as much as we do. If not, than we’ll be here to catch them – to carry them through whatever may come.

img_7906

This weekend millions of us took our little ones to a spot of land we’d be sharing for an evening

img_7921

All in one moment we were unified, by the sky, the beauty of our cities – wherever they may be.

img_7923

Then to the sound of the fire works cracking, booming and echoing into every last corner.

Columbus-fireworks

But despite all of this, the only country our children know is the one in our laps, in our arms or wherever they can find a warm, safe place to snuggle in.

img_7926

And us mamas are just fine with that.

See more photos from our weekend here.

P.S.

This special lap moment was made possible by Avitae water. They let us into their VIP party to see the Columbus fireworks and they also gave us a few samples of their drink, a naturally caffeinated water  – good stuff, and I’m incredibly weird about my water and my caffeine.

Also special thanks to Capital City Mama, pictured above carrying her sweet daughter and to John Bear for carrying Benjamin because he’s now too heavy for me on long walks... so weird how big he is getting.

Carol July 5, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Aw, this was really touching. It is actually quite amazing when, for a moment in time – hundreds, thousands, even millions of people are all doing the very same thing: gazing up at the same sky that hovers above us all. In awe, In wonder, In love.

Mocha Dad July 5, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Wouldn't it be great if we all could find that warm, safe spot in our lives.

MindyMom July 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I LOVE that last shot. Life is so good when you're little but those moments make us moms happy too.

spatulahandle July 6, 2009 at 7:15 am

This is a very nice post, I love the pictures and the words you put with it. I never thought about it as everyone doing the same thing at the same time, I don't know why, but thank you for the thoughts.

TorontoMama July 6, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I love the picture of John Bear with Benjamin in his arms 🙂

Anna July 7, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Life is so beautiful in the eyes of a child especially when it is shared with the most important people in her/his life – It is just PERFECT.

A child seeing and feeling how greatness is. Beautiful.

Sharon-NewUrbanMom July 7, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Oh that last shot is precious…I have two teens and while they don't REALLY like public displays of affection, there are those moments when I know they want mom to snuggle them…so I do it without too much fanfare and enjoy the little smug look of satisfaction I see on their faces.

Lacie May 5, 2010 at 10:48 am

Just found this post. We were at the Avitae event as well….sadly we couldn’t stay and watch the fireworks from that super awesome site (family waiting for us elsewhere…..although we were tempted to ditch them. lol).