Boys

by mssinglemama on June 18, 2009

I have three brothers and two sisters.

You would think I’ve seen it all but I haven’t. Nope. Like this…

img_6600This thing Benjamin does when the mood strikes, or when we have a far distance to walk to in a rush. In this case we were dashing to a bush to so he could pee because the church was all locked and there were people praying very loudly in a room near the other bathroom.

So back to the thing.

img_6605

Benjamin crouches down on all fours, starts growling and then starts leaping like a possessed person. Note the hooked hand that adds an extra special freak out effect.

img_6611

It really, really creeps me out. And while other parents at the playground or wherever see this and say, “how funny” or “how cute”, I’m standing there like, “seriously? That doesn’t look totally freaky to you?”

img_6612

And don’t try talking to him when he’s leaping or growling or whatever it is because he will only snarl back at you.

img_6616

Thankfully when he’s all through my Benjamin comes back but it’s only to laugh at the expression on Mommy’s face.

And then I just want to kiss him up like crazy.

—-

I would write more but I’m still sick. Turns out when you start your own business and become a full time blogger in the span of three weeks your body gets mad at you. The doctor says it’s bronchitis but it feels like the plague.

John Bear is sick too.

Yuck.

In the meantime, my best friend and recent single mom Mia has been writing – find her latest post in the single moms forum.

Mia

I took this picture of her last weekend. I just love her so much and it’s so hard to watch her go through this knowing there’s little I can do to actually take away the pain. I can’t tell her it will all be better soon because I know it won’t – it takes time.

And despite the time it takes to heal from what he did, it takes even longer to adjust to single motherhood.

Time though is a wonderful thing because it’s always, always moving. I remember when I would tell myself “just get through the next hour” and then it turned into “just get through the next day” and eventually “the next month”.

Now it’s the opposite, I want time to slow down so I can “enjoy this minute, enjoy this hour, enjoy it all because I’m home free.”

She’ll get there. She will.  And when she does we’ll go out and get shitfaced to celebrate. And I’ll say, “I told you it would all get better,” and she’d say, “I know, I know you did and it’s SO amazing.”

Until then go lend her your ear or your words.

1. Boys vs. Men
  2. Do day care bugs ever end?
  3. A sweet little reunion.
  4. The long weekend, firefighters and iMacs – a video story.

JimBrochowski June 19, 2009 at 4:23 am

Been reading your blog for about a week now after having seen you at The Ohio Growth Summit. Gave it a glance, liked it, kept coming back. Might be because a friend who follows your blog asked about you AS SOON AS she found out I was at the conference where you were. She's a big fan. Made me want to read even more to find out why.

I love your healthy outlook on life, and your perspective. Even in this post, Benjamin's crawl / walk creeps you out, but you don't make a big thing out of it with him. You get that it's just a little boy thing. Nothing to freak out about. Very refreshing. (I confess I was the son of a single mom and that didn't go so well. Thank goodness she found her Prince Charming.)

Speaking of healthy – I hope you feel better soon. Seems like you've been sick since last week – or longer? Take care of yourself so you can keep putting up this awesome content. Thanks!

Sheila June 19, 2009 at 6:53 am

Sorry you're not feeling well! It's just so great that you're making these sweeping changes and making things happen. So cool!

Sarcastica June 19, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Love the pictures by the way!

Rachel June 19, 2009 at 12:15 pm

My daughter IS a lion frequently. She pulls out a roar when she is frustrated or anxious and can't do anything else. I find it freaky too, but most everyone else thinks it's cute. I figure it's a phase, she must grow out of it sometime.

Nice look to Cement Marketing!

Erin June 19, 2009 at 12:39 pm

It is really good to see Mia smiling in that picture. I know how hard it all is, and she is lucky to have you as a friend to be there for her.

My daughter acts like a monster and will growl and snarl. I think it is kinds scary sometimes but mostly funny. I think it is just some three year old phase they have to go through.

I hope you get better soon!!

Modern Married Momma June 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm

That picture of Mia is beautiful.
And it reminds me that even in the midst of the hardest time (the beginning of single motherhood especially) there is that part in us that wants to grow and shine and beam with life.

Gonna hop over now and read her writing in the forum.

Rest up my dear Alaina!
Honoree and I are so excited to have you as our first guest of the Single Mom Revolution Radio show.

Make sure to tell all your readers to listen in on our interview with you next Tuesday. (June 23 1pm EST)
Here is the link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/SingleMomRevolution

krzykryn June 19, 2009 at 6:35 pm

My son used to be a dog named "freckles" and I had to call him "freckles" as he crawled and barked around everywhere. And dont dare call him by his name…he would go crazy…lol now i only wish he would do those cute things. he is 14 now, enough said about that age…ugh

Maureen June 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm

My son would travel caped and only respond as Prince Phillip or Batman for a while. Then there was my daughter who would be a dog, seriously, every morning around age 2-4. She wouldn't talk no matter what I said. Just pant and bark and walk on all fours, a mischevious smile on her face the whole while.
Don't be creeped out; he's such a cutie!
Time will do it for your friend, as you know. But it's hard; she's lucky to have you.

Amber June 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I was once told by a friend. Life is not always easy, but it is always good. Mia, you are an inspiration and I pray every night for your healing. Keep at it sister!

Alaina, laughed out loud at the pictures of benjamin. Haha. Never a dull moment.
PS~any word on silver leaf necklaces?

mssinglemama June 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I am going to work on silver soon…still too sick, but they will eventually be available.

Sent from my iPhone

Drahdrah June 21, 2009 at 4:16 am

My 10 month old daughter makes this snarly growling face all the time, and people think it's adorable, and she seems to get a kick out of it herself. She does it so often that it's starting to creep me out a bit. Let's hope both your son and my daughter outgrow this stuff. Hope you feel better soon.

notasoccermom June 23, 2009 at 3:01 am

I think that maybe Benjamin is becoming a …… wait for it……bear.

So sorry for Mia, we have all, well most of us, been there.
sorry you have been sick. put on your magic necklace and get better soon.

Miami Information April 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm

awww he is so cute, but a little creepy like you said!!!!
but we have to thank God we have a son or a daughter, because a lot of couples want a baby and they can’t!!!