Tea, anyone?

by mssinglemama on June 9, 2009

I’m sick.

A sinus infection or something. Allergies. Stupid allergies. This is the first time I’ve ever had them.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s awful that we all medicate ourselves for a few months every year because of stuff floating around in the air? This is  terrible, terrible, terrible feeling. My head could explode at any moment – I just know it.

Today, being the sick and uninsured single mom I now am… I took off on a little adventure to cure myself.

I couldn’t go alone, so Jen joined me.

And I’m so glad she did because it was a lot easier to get busted with a friend. Busted you ask? Busted doing what?

Well, you’ll just have to watch to find out.

By the time I’m done with this blog I won’t be able to go grocery shopping anywhere. [Still no response to this post from Kroger, btw.]

For the record – I adore Whole Foods – absolutely, 100% recommend their store to anyone.

If you’re a single mom, or any mom, read this old post I wrote on grocery shopping with Benjamin. Good stuff.

P.S. Insurance is coming. It is just taking them a while to process our request.

Miss Behavin June 9, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Awww! I hope you feel better. It sucks being sick without help.

caribbeanlurker June 9, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I love how you are tapping the video and the wholefoods lady is just behind looking… hilariuos.
Hope you feel better!

Ms. Single Mama June 10, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I know – isn't it freaky???

Tammy (CruisinTam) June 9, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Sounds like you need a Bear hug. Feel better.

Ms. Single Mama June 10, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I did and he did deliver.

gosia June 9, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Why does it sound like waterboarding?

Hollie Barnes June 9, 2009 at 8:03 pm

OMG, you poor girl! I hope you feel better soon – it sucks being sick, especially when you have a little one to take care of. Big hugs…get some rest and feel better soon. The video is awesome =)

Erin June 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Get better! I'm sorry you are feeling gross! The honey will help, and it doesn't make you feel like you are drowning!

MommaSunshine June 9, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Hope the neti pot takes care of things for you and you're feeling better soon.

*hugs*

won June 9, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I've heard those netti pots are gold. Hope that's your experience too.

TsQuest June 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I love my neti pot. You may not feel any difference immediately. Especially if you are already tired… you may have a sinus infection already. The neti pot is actually more of a preventative measure during allergy season. Use it every day and you won't get to this infection part.

I also recommend oil of oregano capsules to help prevent infection. Colloidal Silver helps with infection.

(I did study natural medicine for a year.)

Hope you feel better soon. Don't give up on the neti pot! It does work!

Ms. Single Mama June 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I didn't know that! Awesome. I'll try those oregano capsules too…what is Colloidal Silver? Hmmm… will look into both.

Mr. Strudel June 9, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Oh my lawrd. Coloidal silver can turn your skin purple — PERMANENTLY. NO joke.
For Pete's sake, nobody comsume colloidal silver! urgh.

Kathleen June 10, 2009 at 2:53 pm

yeah, there was a guy on the Today Show who was really purple… He had been taking it for years, but still…. although, purple is a rather nice color! tee, hee!

iklan solo June 9, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Oohh, hope you get better soon.

amy June 10, 2009 at 2:33 am

Oh you are too funny! Getting busted with a camera in Whole Foods! Why do they ban cameras anyway I'd like to know. Our local grocery store does too.. Hope you are feeling better.

DesperatelySeekingMe June 10, 2009 at 3:13 am

Your video cracked me up…BUSTED! So funny. I have heard that there is a certain trick to the neti pot so that it doesn't hurt so much…wish I knew what it was so I could tell you, although it's too late now 🙂 Feel better!

expatsinglemama June 10, 2009 at 5:53 am

Aw feel better. I swear by neti pots. On an unrelated note, I highly recommend candling, for yourself, Benjamin, or just in case John Bear at some future date develops ear wax issues, as big bear men tend to do. Right after the hair appears in the inner canal. Oh, gross. FEEL BETTER!

Lori June 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Neti Pots… I have one too = ) It helps to a certain extent but some times- the clog is just too much for the Neti. I swear by Claritin D. The one you have to sign your life away to get. And after the first time I used my NP I wanted a nap too. It was borderline traumatic.

linda June 10, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I agree w / the silver completely, I have taken it for over a year , give it to all four kiddos and it has never ever turned us purple, I even give it to my dog !! lol It is great stuff w/ so many benefits.I have also used the netti pot for a couple of years now…amazing !! Next you need to try ear candeling on video!!! lol , Youll be a brand new woman !! 🙂

kathleen June 10, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Neti Pots are adored by many… I haven't gotten that much nerve up! I should with the dryness we have in Colorado. Great video! You still look cute when you are sick… not fair!

Francesca Denton June 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm

My son has really bad allergies, and once i started using the neti pot on him, he can breathe again! i used to have to give him allergy pills twice a day and now he doesnt take meds anymore. He can sleep all night and has minimal problems in the day. Works great for us. I hope you give the neti pot a few days to work its "magic". good luck!

Dawn June 10, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Sharing the benefits of Bee Pollen is registering BIG.

Anon June 10, 2009 at 5:05 pm

This one is a great version – not nearly as traumatic as other neti pots:

NeilMed Sinus Rince

TsQuest June 10, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Colloidal silver turning people purple? Hmmm…OK… I only take it when I have an infection. I try to prevent the infection with the oil of oregano and the neti pot. When I feel one coming on, I add the oregano to my vitamin regimen, take extra vitamin C and double my neti pot rinses.

I also agree with the local honey recommendation. You can also check the homeopathic section of Whole Foods (or better yet, a mom and pop natural foods store) and see if they have the allergy remedies that are local to your area. I use the homeopathic Texas weed allergies or Texas tree allergies on me and my girls. It builds up your immunity to the allergens. Now we hardly have to use them. We just keep our noses clean with saline and take extra vitamin C when the allergies are bad.

Lucky for my kids, I'm starting early. I'm still susceptible to allergies and sinus infections so I tend to need more stuff.

Take lots of fluids too. Lemon tea (boil lemon slices in water) with your honey. If you feel stuffy, you could even try Mucinex.

If you end up going to the doctor and get on antibiotics (and they will prescribe them if it is an infection), make sure you eat yogurt or get acidophilus in your system to prevent stomach upset from the antibiotics.

Feel better soon!

Mz Mami June 10, 2009 at 11:56 pm

hey how u feeling? Oil of oregano just absolutely burns the throat….lol….BUT it is a VERY potent viral fighter. I had something NASTY like a couple months ago…upset stomach..runny nose…headache… I took up to 3 drops (that's all i could handle at one time) before all my meals (3 – 6 times a day) and within 4 days I was all better..like..not a trace…usually it takes me at least a couple weeks for me to get over anything..no matter how much water/rest/soup i'm having.. If you have a runny/stuffy nose, the first difference you'll notice is how much it clears up your sinuses. Now I use echinicea for prevention and oil of oregano if it's past that stage. Maybe you should google allergies and oil of oregano? I know it's really good for stuff like the stomach flu and viruses…uh..like in my case…allergies not sure but if you got something viral, that will kill it for sure.

Mz Mami June 11, 2009 at 12:07 am

oh i just read the comments. TsQuest posted about OofO capsules – I've never taken the capsules but usually liquid form of anything is much more potent (though harder to take!)