Shipped

by mssinglemama on June 3, 2009

My first few days at my new job have been spectacular.

On day one, I met up with some of you for a play date. Between chatting about dating, love and all of that other stuff only single moms truly understand I hand delivered some of your necklaces and watched as you delicately wrapped them around your necks.

What once was a vision, now a reality.

necklacetryingon[That’s Jen by the way. Read her blog here. You’ll be very glad you did – she is an amazing writer and such a strong single mom. I just can’t believe we live about four blocks from each other.]

The next day I took Benjamin for a long over due hair cut. He was less than thrilled.

hair2
Afterwards we went straight to the park to burn off the sugar from the four suckers he downed. At some point he took another pee break, this time in front of a church. At least God is the only one who saw it this time.

publicpeeing

I’m not quite sure what to do about this potty training/peeing in public thing. He just does it so quickly, by the time I notice his pants are already down and then – sigh … if he gets arrested I am so not bailing him out.

On day three I met with a reporter from a newspaper here in town and then his photographer stuffed me into my trunk to take some rather interesting photos. Here is evidence.

trunk

On day four I started packing up your necklaces and quickly realized there’s a reason why PayPal has a “print shipping label” button.

Did I use it? No.

Are you kidding? That would have been a wise business decision, saving me time and money.

But this is my business and I wanted each of you to have a hand labeled ugly orange envelope delivered to your doorsteps. Some of you are really lucky and have envelopes taped shut with all different types of tape. Somehow I finished them all up, in a daze of confusion with nightmares of envelopes falling open along the way or someone receiving an empty one.

shipped

Apparently I need to find a better system because my first batch of necklaces is sold out and you all keep ordering more

A printer may help, some shipping labels and envelopes that actually seal shut – oh, and did I mention I need more tape? Regardless your hand labeled, hand tapped envelopes bearing your gorgeous necklaces are on the way.

If I screwed up your order, or if you don’t receive your necklace within the next 5-10 business days please report here immediately and I’ll fire myself.

noringsattached June 3, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Good for you!!! I cant wait to get my necklace in the mail!!!!

Christeen June 3, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Look at you rocking this new job~ Love the post! No clue how to get boys to stop peeing in public! I cant get the PIT to take the time to stop & pee! She holds it till shes about to explode and then gets a bladder infection…now fun for a 7 y/o girl:( at least he is taking the time to pee!! Thats a plus:) Keep snapping those pics…..I love em! That boy of yours is ADORABLE!

Hope to order my necklace very soon! My naked neck is waiting for my paypal account to catch up!

XOXOX
Christeen

Irishmom June 3, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Sounds like you had a great couple of first days! And I am waiting with baited breath for my new necklace – a symbol of a new start for me this year…. : ) Thanks for making it possible to have it symbolised materially. I will make sure to tell everyone where I got it if they are asking. (which I'm sure they will…). Too funny that B is peeing in front of the church – if anyone DOESN"T mind, it would be God. People are way too uptight if they have a problem with that at all. My son (six) still prefers the yard to the toilet, it means he doesn't have to interuppt whatever it is that holds his fancy at that very moment.

Hope all your dreams continue to be realised….:)

Jaden June 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I so want your job. 😀

SingleParentDad June 3, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Benjamin's hair is rad. And so is his care free attitude to relieving himself. Rockstar kid.

jen_k_ June 3, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Agreed. He rocks, just like his mama.

Martini Mom June 3, 2009 at 7:32 pm

We actually got caught by a cop in an alley once, The Kid's pants around his ankles and me trying to direct The Kid to pee on a clump of grass so (hopefully) his piddle puddle wouldn't run to where people were trying to walk. The cop just laughed and said he was more likely to ticket the store that wouldn't let a 3-year-old use the bathroom than reprimand the parent of said 3-year-old. Awesome.

Congrats on the new job. It sounds like you're loving it. Wishing you continued (and growing) success!

Christy June 3, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Wow, sold out and everyone's ordering more? Can't ask for better than that! I'm glad your first days of being your own boss have been so fruitful–you should be proud!

Oh, and that picture of Benjamin peeing in front of the church is priceless!

Hanna June 3, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Glad this trip to the barber wasn't as traumatic as the last one 😉 Can't wait to get that package in the mail!

Sheila June 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm

That's what scares me about potty training! Boys!

Can't wait to get my necklace!

TsQuest June 3, 2009 at 9:35 pm

It sounds like you're enjoying your new job. Rock on girl. 🙂

Canadian Bald Guy June 3, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I'm totally looking forward to a slideshow about a year from now…with just one pic after another of Ben peeing in public places.

LOL…can't wait to have that happen with MY son (it's too close for comfort!!).

TorontoMama June 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm

I still need to order my necklace damn it!
And your new job sounds awesome 🙂

Speedgirl June 3, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I'm so glad that I will finally get something in the mail besides bills! Can't wait for my necklace to arrive… I hope to proudly sport it before the school year ends, so that my students can ask me about it and we can talk about symbolism one more time before summer break 🙂

LoN June 4, 2009 at 12:05 am

Ohh they never stop peeing in public.
My boyfriend a 25 yo grown men has some sort of phobia to public restrooms, but God knows he can pee in any bush, streeth corner, or side road ever made.
It freaked me out at first, now I just know he's marking his territory *lmao*

Carrie June 4, 2009 at 12:06 am

Can't wait to get my ugly orange envelope with my lovely new necklace!
I wish my son would still pee outside — it beats mopping up puddles from the bathroom floor every day. 🙁

notasoccermom June 4, 2009 at 12:33 am

waiting a bit impatiently. Love the necklace pictures on everyone. this is so great to connect this way. I dont care what the envelope looks like.. waiting waiting

Janet June 4, 2009 at 12:51 am

Benjamin is too cute. I can't wait until it's time for potty training!! I'm sick of changing diapers! I've already started talking about the potty a lot to get Daniel interested. 🙂

Heather June 4, 2009 at 1:22 am

woo hoo! I can't wait to get my new necklace…Thanks MSM!

amy June 4, 2009 at 1:59 am

The nice thing about Benjamin peeing (hopefully discreetly!) in nature is that you get none of the panic I got when my twin girls were young. "Mommy we have to go NOW!" and then trying my damndest to accommodate! Teach him a little discretion and you have it made 😉

2luvs4nj June 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Can't wait for the necklace to arrive – I have a buisness trip to LA for work (that the boys are joining me for) and I have the perfect outfit to wear it with…

Speedgirl June 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I got my necklace today! (Well, it came yesterday but I didn't grab the mail until this morning…)

It is SO fantastic. I love it. Great job, Alaina!

Candace June 9, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I got my necklace yesterday and LOVE IT! I am wearing it right now at work. My son loves to open packages and he saw the return address and was like "Mssinglemama?" . He's 9 so i explained what the necklace was about and what it meant and i think he got it. Maybe. I might have seen an eye roll but he got it! Thanks so much! love it 🙂

Tishia Lee June 10, 2009 at 5:12 am

I have to get a necklace! It's just not in the budget at the moment 🙁 I love the whole idea behind the necklace and it's exactly what I need…so I'm telling my paypal account to hurry up and 'grow' some extra funds. LOL

Jessica_L June 10, 2009 at 5:32 pm

My son has got it in his head that when he needs to go he goes. Wherever, school/church parking lot, friends/strangers yards, anywhere. It's impossible to get him to stop because his dad encourages it constantly. My only hope is to do like Amy suggested and teach him a little discretion.