So there’s this dog…

by mssinglemama on May 23, 2009

Meet Murphy.

murphy

Or Murph, the slobbery yet totally cute wonder pup who can tackle me in one pounce.

He belongs to the Bear.

Meet Benjamin.

benjamincuteface
He belongs to me (for now).

The two have yet to meet.

But when they do things could get a little crazy.

Benjamin has been obsessively asking for a dog for months – and not just any dog, he wants a white dog. Yeah. Freaky.

I can’t help but envision Benjamin’s face when he meets the Murph. And then my mind goes one step further and I have another vision — it’s a vision of all four of us playing in a park with some picnic food and a Frisbee or two. Maybe we have a house to go home to and maybe I’m pregnant again… maybe.

My dream man and Benjamin’s dream dog? Could it be?

Perhaps.

But the “what if’s” are obviously still there and I’m biding my time until I bring this foursome together. It’s hard though. Really hard.

The mommy in me wants Benjamin to have a dog at his disposal not even to mention a man who adores him. The woman in me feels that this is so right. But my head is still leading the charge.

Forget getting attached to a dude/father figure – what about a dog?

Patience…

Back up reading on single parent dating and introducing the kids/ attachment issues:

1. Guess Who?
  2. The two bravest single moms I know.

{ 1 trackback }

My new dance partner
July 3, 2009 at 9:38 am

misscriss0830 May 24, 2009 at 2:26 am

oooooooo wow…I got chills!! Could it be?! Wowza….your patience is admirable! You're a strong woman and an amazing mama! Keep it up! Im tagging along for the ride! When it comes to reconsidering dating…I come to your blog:)

xoxo
christeen

Rachel May 24, 2009 at 2:30 am

How could any boy not fall for that dog?!

Stephanie May 24, 2009 at 3:03 am

Sometimes things in life are meant to be. Your child is so precious and the dog is darling. You go girl!

Sheila May 24, 2009 at 6:19 am

All I can say is this: :D :D :D

junctionmama May 24, 2009 at 10:55 am

All I can say is wow.

notasoccermom May 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I love freaky—I love coincidence.
And I , like you, am a bit skeptical and hesitant on new relationships.
and—didn't I see a twit about you not being a dog person? haha
I think you are a bit smitten

Cheryl May 25, 2009 at 1:50 am

I don't believe in coincidences. Maybe, just maybe, you're GUTS are right honey. Screw your brain for now. If you feel safe. If your son feels safe. If this doggy feels like he wants to lick/tackle/love you to death… maybe, just maybe, the guy does too (feel safe, feels like licking/tackling/LOVING you).

Don't over think. Just be you. Let him be him. Two hearts coming together is a lightning strike regardless. Let the magic happen.

I'm sure as shite rooting like hell from over here in Seattle!

mssinglemama May 26, 2009 at 6:17 pm

You're funny. This made me laugh out loud. The funny thing is … not over thinking much at all this time. But still too early to bring them together full on – must wait, just in case… just in case.

Irishmom May 25, 2009 at 2:08 am

oh my gosh, that dog looks alot like ours. Except ours is bigger and his name is Benji. But on my life, the dog we had before this was called Murphy. Is this Murphy a goldendoodle or labradoodle. Benji is a Goldendoodle who doesn't shed (my son has allergies and asthma which is why we got this breed). He's a handful for me, but AMAZING with my kids. Totally and utterly loving and tolerant. They LOVE him to death. I think Benjamin will have a hard time saying no to this guy. Regarding the future, follow your head, but your heart a little too… *smile*

mssinglemama May 25, 2009 at 3:51 am

He's a Wheaten Terrier… he just got a hair cut (too short – the bear was not pleased).

I think you're right… Benjamin is going to D-I-E when/if he meets this dog.

Irishmom May 25, 2009 at 2:10 am

and ps : that child of yours is utterly deliciously gorgeous. What a picture! :)

Saba May 25, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I love that picture of Benjamin :) Follow your heart…you know what to do!

Victoria May 26, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Cute dog! And ridiculously cute kid :)

But I'm with you on holding back. It's been what, a month? Kids are remarkably good at accepting people, but they stay fixated on stuff for forevah, I swear. Bean's had two homes for over a year now, and she still cries about missing her family … Benjamin will love Dog and Bear whenever he meets them because that's what kids do. The un-loving part is much, much harder for them.

mssinglemama May 26, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Really, really good statement. And you're absolutely right. The unloving is much harder.

Katherine SOLOdotMOM May 26, 2009 at 2:07 pm

definitely follow your heart… so far it has steered your right, right?

I think time is our friend, not our enemy… you'll know when the time is right for Benjamin to meet the "dog". :)