This Place

by mssinglemama on May 17, 2009

I counted on this.

img_5153

But not on this.

img_5164

Jet lag, the remnants of a cold and a three-year-old’s inability to process the words, “stop hitting Nolan” have stolen my little guy away and replaced him with the kid you see above.

It’s been interesting.

We also went ziplining today… over a canyon. It was, as Kristin would say, “wicked.” There will be a video. In the meantime check out pictures on Kristin’s blog.

And apparently I came off as conceited by making fun of myself and the picture that makes me look like a model a few posts back.

For the record…

The light on my face makes my skin look perfect, which it’s not. My hand is placed perfectly across Benjamin’s chest, which is totally unrealistic. And my hair looks perfectly waved, which it never is.

The picture makes me look like I should be on a bottle of laundry detergent or something as a poster child for perfect mothers, which I am not.

Please take it for what it is… me trying to be funny.

1. Pass the man blinders please.
  2. In our beginning…
  3. Obama Calls Out Dead Beat Dads
  4. Single Mom Dating Zen: Lions & Tigers

mom2threeinmd May 17, 2009 at 1:55 pm

That's kids for ya … the best laid plans can go to hell in a moment's notice. Sorry Benjamin wasn't up to his normal self, but it sounds like the Moms still had some fun!

ebean May 17, 2009 at 3:41 pm

you did NOT come off as conceited!
Or anyway, I got the joke.

notasoccermom May 17, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I love how you are connecting with all these blog friends.
Poor Benjamin, he couldnt help himself. Jetlag does funny things.

Janet May 17, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I knew what you were saying about the pic…every once in awhle, I have a pic where I think that too…it's like the stars align perfectly and I look awesome! No need to apologize.

And ziplining? Holy awesome! I've always wanted to do that. Of course, I'd probably pee myself b/c I'm scared of heights, but I still hope to do that someday!!

mandi May 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Seriously. Do some people just read blogs to pick them apart and then be critical. You look great. And it is a very "mom magazine" pose with the hand on Benjamin and all. There should be a no ridiculous critical comments rule.

Bobbi Janay May 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Glad you are having fun on your trip, sorry about the jet lag but it could always be worse. Always look at life as if the glass is half full.

ALICIA May 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm

You are a fabulous blogger!

Amber May 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I actually LOVED the pic. The critics can SHOVE IT. You are not writing (and we are not reading) to hear their criticisms. You are a MILF.

junctionmama May 18, 2009 at 12:25 am

That's too funny about the picture. I totally got why you thought it was hilarious and why it could have been parenting magazine material. Sadly there are too many people who lack a sense of humour.

Irishmom May 18, 2009 at 1:19 am

Oh boy! There are definitely some people out there who want to ruin everyone else's good moments. You DID look totally awesome in that pic – gosh I wish I could find a pic of myself that I liked! Regarding Benjamin, it's tough traveling with little ones – it can bring out the worst in them – kids like their routines. I traveled to S Africa when my kids were seven and four. My daughter was a nightmare for a few days (both on the 21 hour flight) and on other occasions. She is a creature of habit and being jetlagged and out of her routine made her a little crazy for a while. But, it just comes with the territory. Children can react to things that we wouldn't do and vice versa. Add a cold and you have the fodder for trouble. Sounds like you had a great time anyway! :)

Margaret from NM May 18, 2009 at 3:54 pm

You rocked the camera for that pic, and be proud of it!! There are so few good pictures of me that when I find a good one…I flaunt it as much as I can :) Plus when has it ever been bad to feel good about yourself.

Sheila May 18, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Oh, little boys!!! :)

April M May 18, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I'm alarmed…I see a pic of Benjamin in the photostream, apparently in a hospital or clinic? :( Is he ok?

mssinglemama May 18, 2009 at 9:41 pm

He's fine. He had pink eye before we left.

Sent from my iPhone

Onely May 19, 2009 at 2:03 am

My family travelled a lot when I was small, crossing many many time zones—and I remember that jet lag is just terrible for a kid. They don't know how to catch a few winks here and there when they can, so they end up just go go going until they crash–but usually by the time they want to crash, it's time to walk across the airport. And they don't know how to handle the drugged feeling of exhaustion, and it's scary to be awake in the middle of the night. Oh gosh I am regressing here… help. . .
Christina at Onely

mssinglemama May 19, 2009 at 10:19 am

Not that much… but it’s been picking up lately. Good luck!