His eyes, the Governor & Dave.

by mssinglemama on May 7, 2009

I could swim in his eyes.

The only bad thing about being in the dark with the bear is not being able to see them – ice blue, almost transparent and surrounded by his fuzzy face with a smile he saves only for me.

The two together – the smile with those eyes melt me and I slowly exhale and relax into his arms.

I could stay there… for hours, for days while I listen to his words.

“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t know what a huge part of your life Benjamin is, you know that right?”

Potential, people.

The Bear has serious potential.

And that’s all I’m going to say about that (for now).

My hands were shaking as I moved the microphone closer to the Congressman’s lips. Watching the audio levels carefully and listening to his words I jotted down my next question on my notepad.

It was my first real studio interview.

The Congressman went on about his plans for the future of our corner of the Appalachia and after 10 minutes I went to stop recording and realized I hadn’t been recording at all. My heart dropped into the floor.

“Sir, I’m so sorry but can we do that again,” I’m sure he could see the tears welling up in my nervous eyes, my cheeks blushing in embarrassment. He was a congressman he had places to go, people to see. He had just wasted 10 minutes alone in a recording booth with an 18-year-old girl who clearly had very little journalism, let alone radio experience.

“Oh sure,” he said warmly, “Not a problem. Are you recording now?”

That Congressman was Ted Strickland. Now the Governor of Ohio.

Last week I got a call from the Governor’s office asking if I’d be willing to take a moment out of my day to discuss his education policy and ways in which his office could better share the news with young tech savvy professionals like myself. And a few days later there he was, sitting beside me talking passionately about his education plan.

When the Governor had to leave just minutes later because he had been double-booked, I didn’t mind at all… remembering the grace he had given me on a summer day 10 years before.

He did have time to tell us briefly about his education plan which would include some controversial changes like longer school days and shorter summer breaks. Sitting next to him I could feel the conviction in his words when he said, “We need to do what’s best for our children.”

I don’t know the details of the plan and won’t pretend to, but I trust him and I know he’s trying to make a positive change in our schools. Education has always been one of his areas of expertise, his passion.

Read more about the Governor’s Education plan here.

Meet Dave

I am naming the Fiesta Dave.

You all suggested it so you get the credit.

So Dave is her name, even though she’s a she which she definitely is, clearly as displayed by her cute flowers and pinkish paint.

This way I won’t have to worry about meeting my soul mate named Dave because she’s sitting in my drive way. And the Bear, his name isn’t Dave… so I can scratch that off of my worry list – just in case. Not that I even believe in soul mates or the “One”. If you still do – read this.

Use your head and your heart will follow.

I’ve been assigned my first Fiesta Movement mission. Check it out here. Going to be a LONG road trip this weekend.

{ 1 trackback }

The non-date, that wasn’t
May 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Lori May 7, 2009 at 1:29 pm

SO are you just going to drive around OH and hit MI, PA, WV, VA, KY, IN?? That's six and quite a lot of states… What does the winner get? I mean, besides a car to drive for free? Have fun!!

mssinglemama May 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I'm actually going down through southeast Ohio, may pop up into PA, then WV, then KY, then Indiana. Phew. Four states in one day. It will be tough.

MindyMom May 7, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Heh, Dave. I like it.

And I also like "use your head and your heart will follow". 😉

Melissa May 7, 2009 at 2:05 pm

You should "pop up into" Pittsburgh. I 'll let you borrow my terrible towel…that is unless you're a Browns or Bengals fan…

cmhd May 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I just mapped it out on Google Maps and I think you could hit IN, KY, WV and PA in 11 hours. Columbus, OH -> Lawrenceburg, IN -> Florence, Kentucky -> Parkersburg, WV -> West Alexander, PA -> Columbus, OH.

Lori May 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Hey, that's where I am at RIGHT NOW- Parkersburg, WV!!! I can find SOMEthing WV related to contribute = ) If you come this way let me know. We can maybe meet up for a few. Is your son going to go with you?

jen_k_ May 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm

The Bear sounds utterly dreamy.

The Dave thing is a trip. Three years ago this guy http://www.matthewmuschott.com/ told me my 'soul mate' was named Dave, too. David, actually. No freaking joke. Crazy.

I think you're smart to settle on Fiesta Dave rather than Soul Mate Dave. Soul Mate Dave sounds a little loose. I do not like the way he is conspiring with psychics in order to land hot girls. Unacceptable.

TsQuest May 7, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hah. I like jen_k's response.

Great car. Great name. And what a great story!

"Use your head and your heart will follow." Wonderful advice!

So where are you meeting these animals, er, um, men anyway?

Margaret from NM May 7, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The good thing about having friends such as Congressmen & Governors is that they also know (probably more than anyone) that it's bad to burn bridges. You never know when an 18 yo gal is going to be an influential mommy blogger and you just might need her support!

Erin May 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm

He sounds lovely, the Bear. So happy for you! I can't wait to hear about more details.

April May 7, 2009 at 5:34 pm

The Bear sounds so ultimately yummy. OMG. Can't wait to hear more!

And Dave…how perfect. I love it! My car is girly (a cavalier), but it's a he, named Bruce. It's the Die Hard car, because the effer just keeps going, and going, and going.

Hanna May 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Aww too bad you don't live near me! I can be in 4 states simultaneously, living in the 4-Corners! Maybe I will drive there in my Ford Escort and send you a little extra video for your mission 🙂 Single Mamas represent!

Abby Carter May 7, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Does the bear do road trips in flowery Fiesta's named Dave? Now THAT would be a true man!

christine May 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm

yay for dave!!!

that article is great. and so right on.

Speedgirl May 7, 2009 at 11:08 pm

My current car is named Irma. Before that, I had Brian, Alanzo, Ginny, Julio, and Sarah. I love that you named her Dave!

notasoccermom May 8, 2009 at 2:54 am

I am happy for you, your love and your career in such a good place- you deserve it

birld May 8, 2009 at 1:57 pm

You must rename her!!! She is too cute to be a Dave!!! Bad history with Daves!!!! All my friends agree!!! My latest, Dave,former dreamy architect. I just found out he is seeing at least 3 other girls!! Left his email open on my laptop!! I'm so tempted to let them all know!!! arghhhh. Just when you open and be vulnerable with a guy.

Suzanne March 14, 2010 at 10:21 am

Four months after you turned 30, a blog post you wrote lead me to my Dave….

Thanks for that!!