Single Mom Friday Zen

by mssinglemama on May 1, 2009

Shopping for the pieces and parts to make a necklace for single moms is not easy.

Which is a lovely thing to figure out after you’ve had a leaf tattooed on your back. I am not giving up though. Nope. Instead I’m now shopping for a leaf necklace partner on Etsy.com. Hoping one of them will respond to my e-mails saying “Hey, how would you like to make hundreds of that gorgeous necklace?”

We shall see…

In the meantime, while I wait for a response, I figured I’d let you all in on the decision making process. In exchange for your feedback I’m giving one of you a necklace! And besides…

I want and cherish your opinion on everything so why not on the necklaces you’ll be wearing.

Look at the necklaces and then vote on your favorite. If two of them are tied or anything I’ll just offer both. (assuming the sellers are game). If they aren’t I’ll take off for India and find the pendants so I can make them myself or I’ll find one similar.

I put the list price next to these to give you an indication of about how much it will cost.

Leave a comment naming the necklace you like and why and you’ll be entered for a chance to win that necklace!

And without further ado the necklaces please...

Necklace #1 – Brass Leaf – $16.00

il_430xn68607885

[I like this one, minus the little flower. So that would be gone.]

Necklace #2 = Silver Pendant -$46.00

il_430xn47752517

Necklace #3 – Mother Child – UPDATE – price is $42.00 on this one.

il_430xn65437578I love this one because the two leaves represent a mother and a child. But I would prefer it in brass or gold, not the silver. So if you vote for this assume it is in both colors. If you leave a comment that you like this one I may or may not be able to get it for you because it’s sold out, so leave your second favorite as well.

Necklace #4 – Mint Charm Leaf-  $24.00

il_430xn68565819

[This is a teeny, tiny mint leaf. But I kind of like it because you could wear the pendant every day and with other necklaces. You could also add other pendants too it and make it your own unique charm necklace, like this one.]

First vote here for your favorite:

Then leave a comment with your favorite necklace and you’ll be entered to win it!

1. Single Mom Friday Zen, III
  2. Single Mom Friday Zen
  3. Single Mom Friday Zen, II
  4. Single Mom Friday Zen, IV
  5. Single Mom Friday Zen, V

{ 2 trackbacks }

Sunday Divine
May 3, 2009 at 6:43 am
The dating front
August 13, 2010 at 7:55 am

Amy in Sedona May 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I Love all of them, I actually sketched a leaf necklace a year ago, and had 3 made in India, I didn't go but a friend did for me. I'll try to e-mail you a photo it's really simple.

mssinglemama May 1, 2009 at 3:49 pm

That would be amazing. And I was totally kidding about going to India! But apparently people do that? SO funny. And yes, please e-mail me your sketches.

Kgrrrl May 1, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Again, I'm a mint-leaf person. I like it cause as you said, you can add to it – sort of like why you got the tattoo – each can represent a good part of something that has happened to you.

Molly May 1, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I like the mint charm leaf the best, super cute with the bead!

And as usual my LAME-O work computer won't let me see the survey (no flash player) to vote, the State of Kansas can suck it!

Happy Friday!

Mary May 1, 2009 at 3:54 pm

My favorite is the Mother Child because of the symbolism. Second favorite would be the Silver Pendant because I like the simplicity. TGIF!

Jaden May 1, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I love the mother/ child one the best, and I actually really like it in the silver. I chose this mainly because of the look of it- I really like the distressed color… But also because of the symbolism :) I also really like the first one, the brass leaf. Because, well, it is cool looking. Maybe I'm shallow… lol ;)

Sheila May 1, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I love #4 … so dainty and sweet.

Jamie May 1, 2009 at 4:16 pm

My favorite is the mother / child , but the mint charm leaf isn't far behind!! I like the symbolism of the mother and child necklace, as well as the look of the leaves. I like the mint charm leaf necklace because it's small and could be easily layered with other necklaces!!
Very cute tattoo by the way :)

mssinglemama May 1, 2009 at 4:20 pm

And just so everyone knows I'm sure we could find the mint leaf in silver as well.

Deanna Leigh May 1, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Love the Mother &Child One…not the conventional Mommy and Kiddo thing! Would wear that daily.

MommaRuth May 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I love the first necklace for its hook-loop closing and it's gorgeous color! The brass is beautiful and looks great with that tiny hint of green – it's the perfect leaf necklace! I also love the third necklace simply because I'm a Momma and I think two leaves is a cute twist on the "two peas in a pod" ideaology. Great necklace choices!!! Whoever wins is going to be one lucky lady (or necklace-loving dude)!!!

Cortney May 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I think they are all very cool. My fav is the silver and white one. Seems I'm in the minority on that.

Desi May 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm

The mint leaf charm is my fave. I also adore the brass leaf, so it was a hard choice. I think you could charge more for that one. Seems a steal at 16 bucks.

SenderOfCards May 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Love the Brass leaf. Its simply yet beautiful. Really like to openness of it.

Lindsey May 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I like #4 I like that its small but still has a lot of presence. It's actually really pretty in the vibrant gold color.

misscriss0830 May 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I like the simplicity of #3~

Karen May 1, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I love the third and last ones. Mostly the last one though because its smaller.

mssinglemama May 1, 2009 at 4:36 pm

UPDATE: Just found out the mother child is $42.00. Way off on my guesstimate. Would you guys still want that? Would a price point make a difference?

Derek May 1, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I like the first one, but I voted for the third one.

Silver is a must!! Seems like a lot of women are going to white gold/silver nowadays.

wftxdawn May 1, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I love the #1 the Brass Leaf it is so unique and different. My grandmother use to wear a leaf necklace and she told me that a single leaf symbolizes happiness.

Janeen May 1, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Love the first one, the lacy open look of it.

Penny May 1, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I prefer the brass necklace…i like the closure in front…and the open design of the leaf…

Anna May 1, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Love the idea of the Mother/Child necklace, but really like the look (and the price) of the mint leaf.

abrookshire May 1, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I was actually back and forth between the 1st one and the 3rd one because I love them both, but as far as affordability, the 1st one is in my budget, the 3rd one is not (the downfalls of a single income family, eh?) But the 3rd one is definitely my pick, not only because it looks more realistic but because it's the Mother/Child symbolism. It's not only a new leaf, a new life, a new way of living for us, but for our children as well, so definitely #3.

c lo May 1, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I really really love the first one. I love the brass, I love the clasp (what are those called anyways?). I think it makes a statement rather than just blending it. And, hell, if you're removing the flower why not ask the maker to add a smaller leaf? I love the two leaf idea, but I really am in love with the first one.

April May 1, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I love the mother child! It's beautiful. :) I love the silver, love the green!

My alternative if #1. Very unique!

All-in-all, I just love the symbolism. :) Has me thinking that tat #4 should be devoted to something about growth & strength… (#3 was about hope)

Shannon May 1, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I agree with c lo. I love the leaf on # 1, but it needs to be smaller, without the flower and would be cute with the one leaf and the smaller one next to it. I'd love to see a filigree style like that with a smaller leaf and a still smaller one that is representative of the "child". Great job!

Derek May 1, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I do like the clasp on the first one. Easier for my girlfriend with her nails to put this one on. I often end up putting the smaller clasped necklaces on for her because they are so hard to manipulate!

Jolene May 1, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I love the last one. On a short chain I would wear it every single day and mix and match it with others I already have. My vote is for the last!! Love it!!

Nakia May 1, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I think they're all great but I love the #3 (Mother Child). That one is really cool and a nice alternative to some of the other mother/child types of necklaces out there.

Saba May 1, 2009 at 5:13 pm

The first one for sure! It is funky and unique!

Carolyn May 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Brass leaf! It's beautiful. I would buy one!

Kim May 1, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Love the mother child leaf necklace!! Something I would def. wear all the time! Thanks for working so hard on this little project….LOVE IT!

Heidi May 1, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I like all of them, but I love the brass leaf. It's simple and cool.

Abbie Toy May 1, 2009 at 5:35 pm

I love necklace #3, it's beautiful. I wear silver jewelry, so it would be perfect for me:) Especially since it represents the mother/child relationship. I would think of my little man all day at work while I slaved away;( boo! thanks!!

junctionmama May 1, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I love necklace #3 because it looks the best in my opinion and obviously because of what it represents. But you said to pick a second favourite because that one in that colour is sold out, and my second favourite is #2, so delicate looking, and silver, which is the colour I usually wear.

Mauri May 1, 2009 at 5:53 pm

# 4 for sure! i like #1 a lot , but it is a tad big and i love that number 4 could be worn all the time and with other things. cute idea, now i want a leaf tat.

heatherbooty May 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm

(not a single mama, not even a mama, but) i LOVE the very first one. i'm so picky about jewelry (but i loooooove it) and that necklace is PERFECT. i'd love to buy it for myself, if i had the link. :)

Brittni May 1, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This is a major tough decision. I can totally understand why you came to us for help. All of them are really beautiful. The first one is so cute, I love the clasp and the affordability. And I adore the third one because I am all about the symbolism of mother and child, as if the baby onmy hip isn't enough. But there is really something beautiful created in artwork that depicts a mother and a child. It makes you smile when you put it on and wear it all day and people love to compliment on it. So, I'm gonna have to go with the third one, defintely. And green is my favorite color so that is an added bonus.

Nice work tracking these down.

Carol May 1, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Love the 3rd one! Looks like my vote has put #1 & #3 tied evenly. I like the flower on the 1st though, gives it some color in my opinion.

Melissa May 1, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Without a doubt, the mother child necklace is the best!

lilmissbridget May 1, 2009 at 6:22 pm

loving #4! small is nice and simple and can be an "everyday" kind of necklace!

Jennifer May 1, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I love the first one, its both REALLY cute and super affordable. Also I think that it would look really good dressed up in a cute dress or down in just a t shirt and blue jeans. The two leaf idea is really cute, but I couldn't afford it.

Erin May 1, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I love this idea!! I have all kinds of tree necklaces, I'm always drawn to trees, their symbolism and beauty. If all of us single moms out there have a leaf necklace, it would be like we all belong to one bad ass single mom tree of awesomeness! I like the first one, and the mother and child leaf is a cute idea, maybe have the opportunity to add a little leaf to the brass one (or more than one depending on how many children you have)

April May 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm

What a tough decision. I had a hard time between #2 and #3.
#2 looks strong and fierce, to take on any challenges, any new challenges, for new growth.
#3 is new growth sweet and nurturing, delicate and refreshing!
What a good contest to play off your new tat!!

Lori May 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I liked #1, even with the flower if you change your mind. I like the "clasp" and the general laciness of the leave.

Still waiting to here if you'd be interested in some kind of Col. meet up with readers or something of the sort. The tattoo video was cool, as is your tat. You have much much bigger… (hypothetical) balls than me.

Bad Mummy May 1, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I'm a big fan of some designers based here in Toronto. I have their leaf bracelet in silver and my daughter adores it. http://www.foxyoriginals.com

I like the mother/child one, but not all single mamas have just the one kid.

Capital City Mama May 1, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I really like the first one. Good price too.

Ana May 1, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I really love the mother/child necklace…like others, the two leaves together are a lovely touch, but I also really like the finish as it is, in silver.

jenn May 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I like #2 because it's simple and I mostly wear silver jewelry. #3 would be my second favorite. I like the mother and child idea.

momcat May 1, 2009 at 8:55 pm

My fave is #3 – Mother Child. I like the green-y color. Silver or gold works for me!

Apples May 1, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I love the mother/child one. For two main reasons. 1- I like the organic look of it which makes it really unique and stand out. 2-I have something to give my daughter when she gets a bit older. I can wear the big leaf and she can wear the little one. I would just hope its made well enough to stand up to years of wear and tear. ;) Beautiful!

Kona May 1, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I love the first one. It's striking and would look good with a pair of jeans.

Anna May 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I liked the brass leaf because it is sexy and delicate. You can see skin through it, which emphasizes the person wearing it. The brass is earthy, too.

earthmama May 1, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I like the 1st one….the Brass Leaf – for me, it's just beautiful that's all. Just beautiful :) btw: this is my first time posting on your site…..I've really enjoyed your stories, courage and tenacious spirit. I love that you're living life to the fullest……it's been very inspiring!

Alexis May 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I like the mint charm the best, I like how you can put other charms on it to personalize it. I like the charm it's featured with and think the price is great! All of them are nice, but this one is my favorite.

Ruby May 2, 2009 at 12:12 am

i love the mother/child design first and the #1 second. but as other people has suggested, would be good if #1 has a smaller leaf with it. i love that it's made of brass.

Jamie Lynn May 2, 2009 at 12:27 am

I think the brass leaf is my favorite, it's simple ~ yet I love the way it's just the outline and lets the skin show through. Plus, I think the clasp in front is a unique touch! :)

PS – I have a shop @ etsy..and there are forums there that the a majority of the sellers frequent all throughout the day..you can start a *want or in search of..* post that jewelry sellers can view and possibly get back to you quicker – and since you want so many, it could get quite competitive between different sellers, hopefully getting a better price ~ especially if they knew that they were going to get featured in a blog ;)

carrie May 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

I really liked them all but voted for the mint leaf because it's something that could be worn every day along with whatever jewelry you wanted to rock that day.

Samantha May 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

No single mama here, but I love #1!!! Love the symbolism of the mother/child one too though.

christine May 2, 2009 at 1:10 am

i love them all!! i think #1 and #3 are my favorites. i voted for 3, but it was close.

tina c. May 2, 2009 at 1:10 am

loving the 4th one cause it is less expensive, could wear daily and simple, then the third one as I looove the mama child idea of it and it's just nice to look at, then the first one,… I liked before I saw the others lol!!! loving your tattoo… I have almost come fill circle it will be one year on my daughters fifth birthday since I left my ex w/ an order of protection.. i'm loving every day of being a single mama!!!! thanks for sharing all your single mama adventures!! tina

Megan May 2, 2009 at 1:15 am

I like #1 (without the flower) because of 1. the price point – I'm broke! 2. It's fashionable 3. The leaf is very unique and pretty. 4. I like the toggle clasp in the front.
I also like #3 because of the mom and child symbolism.

amy May 2, 2009 at 1:23 am

I liked #2 :)

bird May 2, 2009 at 1:28 am

#4- Love that everyone can add some other charms to their necklace and can make it as unique as their own selves and family! Good price point too!

Irishmom May 2, 2009 at 2:09 am

I love the mother-child one and the first one too, but I voted for the third. I agree though, it would be nicer in a gold colour. I love the idea of the leaf and growth – I think your tattoo is very encouraging to the rest of us single mothers to believe that the growth that will come from all these difficulties will eventually be worth it. I'm so glad you feel like you are coming out of the other end of the tunnel. I am definitely still in the tunnel, but it's good to have hope. The leaf represents hope for me. Thanks! :)

Christina May 2, 2009 at 2:17 am

I love everything about the first one!

smashduff May 2, 2009 at 4:12 am

I love love love the mother and child necklace. I have been wanting to find a necklace that reflects my connection to my sweet little girl. She is with her Dad half the time (we have a 50/50 timeshare due to a nasty custody dispute) and I get so lonesome for my babygirl. I would love to have a little reminder of her on my person, to keep her close always. I do think the mint leaf is a cute runner up.

Andrea May 2, 2009 at 4:38 am

Oh, Im in trouble.. can´t choose. I think I like #3 the most, but its a little too much $$ for me, I have tu multiply each dollar by 3.8, a lot!
Any way I like #4 and #1 in a smaller version. Yes I am complicated!

Rebecca K. May 2, 2009 at 5:11 am

Hey Single Mama – I am torn between #1 and #3 but I selected #1 because of the clasp/hook. It would have been better IF you allowed for multiple selections in casting your vote. Also, I would have like to see the entire necklace for each one. My 2 cents :)

noringsattached May 2, 2009 at 5:23 am

first choice: the mom/child one and then the mint leaf because like you said we can add other charms to it!

Apples May 2, 2009 at 5:27 am

Oh man I don't pay attention…. The mother and child price point is just slightly high it would be awesome if maybe you could do the same idea with a bit lower price. 10 bucks lower is even better. I just love the idea of the mother and child leaves.

Breana May 2, 2009 at 5:40 am

I love number 4. It's so small and delicate looking. You could wear it with anything.

Jen May 2, 2009 at 7:24 am

LOVE the brass leaf. Vintage looking and feminine. Plus the symbolic meaning behind it makes it even better.

Becca May 2, 2009 at 7:59 am

They are all gorgeous, but I am especially drooling over #1- so pretty :)

Mz Mami May 2, 2009 at 9:28 am

All of them are really pretty and classy…I love the symbolism you've pointed out in leaves… I think of them in a different light now..lol.. (corny…but for real!)

I love them all!! But if if I could only pick one…the momma child one…so cute….you said these are from Etsy? Even if I don't win, maybe I should just go and get one …Etsy is a VERY cool site…good for you for promo'ing it.

Happy Friday …(well Saturday now…. ;) )

Serenadragon May 2, 2009 at 9:49 am

I like #3 the mother & child one – but as someone previously mentioned – I'm one of those single mum's with more than one child. I like it in the silver, that 'antiqued' look is just beautiful.
My second favourite would have to be the mint leaf – because then I would have the option of adding charms to represent my two boys & my daughter who died…she is never far from my thought & it would be a lovely way to mark that.

christine May 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm

i think it would be cool if we could add additional little leaves, to represent each kid.

Beth May 2, 2009 at 3:00 pm

i love #2. so pretty and classy! what a great idea.

The Queen May 2, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Crap! I love them all! (Except 2, I am not fond of that one).
In order 1 them 4 then 3. PS: I totally agree #1 sans that flower – yuck.

Rachel May 3, 2009 at 1:49 am

I'm not a single mom but I would still love the mother and child leaf.

I really hope you find an etsy partner. I love etsy and their handmade mission. You co-selling an etsy necklace would be an awesome way to raise the artist's profile and complete your "mission". :)

badmuthablogger May 3, 2009 at 3:56 am

The first one is my fave. I like that little flower. I'd prefer it in solid gold or platinum, but I also like the rustic style of brass. And that clasp rocks. It's very leafy. I remember taking leaves as a child and pulling out the bits in between the veins to try and make it look like a skeleton leaf. This necklace reminds me of that. I love it.

Brittany May 3, 2009 at 5:13 am

Love the mother/child for the obvious reason. Second to that, love the mint leaf. Teensy like my big guy USED to be, and there's room for more . . .

Laura May 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Love the Mother and Child one!

Dana C May 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm

It was hard to pick brass leaf vs. mother and child, but I went with brass leaf. I dunno, there are just many things about single motherhood that end up standing alone and separate from actually being a mom — the strength, the ability to make it on your own, the ability to adapt and change more easily, the ability to be more spontaneous — things that you get to keep and integrate into other areas of your life that have nothing to do with motherhood. I like the tribute to our motherhood, but also, and even more, the tribute to the woman we become as a result.

Sunny May 3, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I love the Mother/Child option #3. I especially like it in silver. The symbology of the parent and the child I think is wonderful and even though the style is a little on the Granola side of the spectrum for me, I would definitely wear it.

Erin May 3, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I Love the mint leaf one! Super cute!

Janet May 4, 2009 at 1:17 am

#3 is my favorite. Second fave is #1.

Ashley May 4, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I love the Mother Daughter one #3. It really is so beautiful and has great meaning. I can just see myself wearing it and then someone commenting on how pretty it is and me getting to tell them what it means. Awesome!

jerri May 4, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I like the silver pendant!

Angel May 4, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I really like the mother/child because the representation is awesome!

Jodee May 4, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I voted for the brass one but I like the mother child one too.

Elisabeth May 4, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I really like necklace #1. I like all of them but #1 is most like something I'd wear…

jen May 4, 2009 at 3:11 pm

number one is gorgeous. i love the clasp and the subtle details of the leaf itself.

sparklingmama May 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm

They're all beautiful, but I especially like #1.

Candy May 4, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I really like the simple look of #1.

Kim May 4, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I voted for #1. I think it looks like a great piece for the summer and would go with anything.

Love # 3 as well!

Ashley May 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I love #3 but a close second is #1!

Autumn May 5, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I like #4 the best, but according to the survey I am in the minority…oh, well! Just means I have an eye for uniqueness, right? ;-) It's my fav because it's so tiny & sweet – and from a gardening perspective, mint is one thing that just keeps coming back year after year, and can take over an entire garden if not planted carefully. To me, that represents the essence of a single mom – sweet & gentle, but powerful enough to take over the entire garden…single handed.

Hats off to all single mamas…Go Leaves! :-)

Myrna May 5, 2009 at 6:33 pm

the first one!

mommy2jl May 5, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I love the mint leaf one! It's so small and simple.
Very versatile.
It was hard to decide between that and the silver pendant though.

jen_k_ May 5, 2009 at 8:56 pm

#1, brass leaf, is my unequivocal favorite. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I like the cheeky synonyms for "brass" – nerve, chutzpa – and how I've embraced those characteristics as a single mama.

A brass leaf seems the perfect symbol.

Heather May 6, 2009 at 2:07 am

Love the first one!

SweetD78 May 6, 2009 at 2:48 am

My fav is the Brass Leaf…so cool! It just stands out to me…

Manic Mommy May 6, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I like the teeny one! Great idea!

cjp628 May 13, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Love the mother/child. 2nd choice would be #4. Love how mini it is!

Jenny May 14, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I love the Brass Leaf – I actually like the little flower on it!!!!! Second fave is def the Mother Child one. They are all very cool though!!

Jaelynredwolf May 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Hi Alaina!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the mother & child pendant (the silver leaf is my 2nd fave) What a cute Idea! I would be proud to wear this for me and all of us single moms out there!

Cant wait to see what you do in your cool new ride! Super cute. :-) Jenn

Lara November 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Mother and child is my favorite. Say it isn’t sold out!!!

Lex - @laprimera April 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love the mother – child necklace. Perfection. :)

Angela May 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

# 3 is my favorite!

If I had to chose another, it would be # 1, but definitely loose the flower.