Out

by mssinglemama on April 20, 2009

I’ve been hiding my location, or attempting to, since starting this blog.

I deliberately chose not to reveal my city to avoid that one in a million chance that a psycho would decide to stalk and/or kill me. You never know. And being a single mom, living alone with my son, I think it’s logical to be safe rather than sorry.

Having once been on a very popular morning radio show in this same city, I also prefer and cherish my anonymity. I didn’t want everyone around me knowing of or reading this blog. It’s a very odd feeling, not always a comfortable one.

But, now, a number of factors are forcing me to “out” myself.

One being that upcoming magazine article, the second being the Ford Fiesta Movement and the third being my craving to just tell you where I am, because I love my little, big city – Columbus, Ohio.

We live in Grandview just a few miles away from our beautiful Downtown, which sadly, is typically empty.

img_2707

img_2719

All of the people are usually just north of the downtown and very near our apartment in an eclectic, artsy neighborhood bursting with galleries, restaurants and boutiques called the Short North.

img_2938

(See? We have cute clothes in Ohio! Very cute clothes.)

Our apartment is just a quick two minute drive to that horse shoe shapped stadium, not sure what goes down there but it usually involves a lot of drunk people in scarlet and gray shirts. And a tad further north is the first house I ever lived in on Webster Park in Clintonville. Just a few blocks from that house is the home where my father was raised by his single mother.

The city is also home to the cutest boy on Earth, even when he has crusty shit all over his face.

img_3004

Just an hour and a half down the road is my hometown and one of the most magical places on Earth – Athens, Ohio. Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, Athens has a hold on my soul as it does on anyone who has ever been lucky enough to live there or to attend Ohio University.

And right now, there’s no place I’d rather be.

You’ll probably be seeing more telling photographs of Benjamin and I’s adventures in Columbus and where ever else the road takes us. Now that I’m “out” I’d like to meet some of you. I’ll be hosting a playdate soon and even sooner, a Tweetup in Columbus so keep up with me here for details.

—– MUST READ ANECDOTE —-

When we were taking these pictures and hopping around from adventure to adventure on Saturday something very, very funny happened on the State House lawn involving a man.

Apparently Benjamin is getting a bit protective of his mama. Read about it here.

Athens Ohio SEO

1. His father wants to take him…I’m freaking out.
  2. Animal Attraction

{ 1 trackback }

Honest Scrap Award! « The Monkey’s Mommy
July 6, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Spruce Hill April 20, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Well I am glad you are out! Sounds like a great place to live. Good luck with all your new projects!
I think it is great that Benjamin is protective of you, he is grwing up.

Ameya April 21, 2009 at 12:38 am

Well howdy neighbor! I actually found your blog today (before you posted this) & fell in love with it, so I was excited to see you are from so close! I live in Dayton, myself. Yay, Ohio bloggers :)

Carrie April 21, 2009 at 12:46 am

I, too, am a single mom…and have been finding comfort in your blog for a few months now…and am ecstatic to know that you are practically my neighbor! I'm a suburb of Columbus. :)

Lauren April 21, 2009 at 1:04 am

I KNEW it! I can't remember if there were any clues I picked up on, but I always had a feeling you were in Columbus.

Growing up in Charleston, WV (and having two sets of relatives in the Columbus area at the time), I have lots of fond childhood memories of that city. At my tiny Christian school, the 5th graders always took a field trip to COSI every year (and my family took me there on occasion, too, when we would visit family). We also hit up the zoo a lot, too.

TsQuest April 21, 2009 at 1:11 am

Gosh that little boy is a cutie. Have I ever told you that? :)

How fun to have such a neat little big town to hang out and grow up in. I don't recall you saying that your father was raised by a single mom. Wow. Good genes, Alaina.

Ohio playdates! What a great idea!

MindyMom April 21, 2009 at 1:28 am

I would never have guessed coming "out" was about your town. ;)

And I have no idea why I already thought you were from Ohio? Weird.

thewarriorpoets April 21, 2009 at 1:31 am

I drove through Colombus on my way out to D.C. Looked like a decent little city… at 70 mph.

Nice pics, too. I liked the Benjamin's perspective shots.

BriBedell April 21, 2009 at 1:43 am

Sweet I live in Michigan…a while away but not to far!

Janet April 21, 2009 at 2:04 am

Somehow I think I already guessed you were in Ohio. I'm in Indy. Howdy, neighbor!! :)

Hilarious that Benjamin is protecting you from unwanted flirting.

Amy in Sedona April 21, 2009 at 2:04 am

Well, Sedona is in Arizona, I've never been further East then New Mexico lol. Who knows maybe someday I'll visit Ohio!

Anna April 21, 2009 at 2:27 am

I LOVE Columbus! Germantown is awesome. My mom went to Capital back when it was a Lutheran school, and I spent a weekend there a couple of years ago. Highly underrated little town you have there! (I'm in "the D" – Detroit)

ModernSingleMomma April 21, 2009 at 2:39 am

I want that white dress in the window!

You know what? You are not a bad travel writer, my friend ;) Your words and your pictures make me want to come back up there. Well, I already wanted to come back up there (so did Lucca) but you know what I mean ;)

So happy you told all your readers where you live because I swear I would have slipped it…I always forget about those things.

I also loved reading your Mama Drama post on WeTV.
Where did Benjamin learn what Flirting meant?! He could only be your son ;)

So looking forward to Chicago and our tweetup with all the single mommas (and daddys?) in the Windy City.

Canadian Bald Guy April 21, 2009 at 12:35 am

It would be sooooo wrong of me to tell you what I was really thinking when I read the tweet that promoted your latest post: "Just came out of the closet on my blog: <a href=”http://mssinglemama.com/” target=”_blank”>http://mssinglemama.com/

Ummmm….heh.

I've got a couple of customers that I deal with in the Columbus area. I look forward to seeing/hearing more about your city.

nicole April 21, 2009 at 12:31 pm

your location has been on your twitter for awhile already…….;)

littlemansmom April 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I loved that article about your little protector! Hmmmmmm….flirting….where would he have learned about that!? LOL

wyliekat April 21, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I was hiding for a long time, too. I've only recently started copping to where I live.

The Queen April 21, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I am so happy to have this answer! I was wondering this morning where you are from! No lie – it was just this morning! Too wierd. I was contimplating that Chi Town is only about 3 hours drive from me in The D and I should hop in the car and meet up with you and Morgan for drinks. That thought turned into, if she is only a few hours from KY she is in Indiana or Ohio, but which one. I have plans to come through your lil town the weekend of Memorial Day, heading to TN to a family reunion, if you are gonna be around, I'd love to see you and introduce you to the monsters I hold so dear. Still thinking about meeting y'all this weekend, I should just do it!

mssinglemama May 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

You should!!! Did you decide yet? I would love to meet.

Derek April 21, 2009 at 6:52 pm

That's a trip — what are the odds? They recently (past 6-8 months I'd guess) started playing Dave & Jimmy in the mornings on 99.3 FM out of Harrisburg, which I can get here in York.

How long ago were you on there? I might even have heard you before.

mssinglemama May 9, 2009 at 11:11 am

I was on the show for 3 years on and off… .started as their news girl. That is really weird! What a small world.

Nikki April 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Please be careful. I too am a single mom and I had a stalker … well still do so this, well it scares me for I put myself in your shoes.
Just please be careful.

carrie April 21, 2009 at 8:30 pm

LOL! I have read your blog for awhile and never would have guessed Ohio! I am in the Toledo area now but went to Ohio State.

Brittni April 21, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I adore shorta north….it's so cute and it seems like there's always something new to find. Can't wait for the playdate being that I'm so close.

The story about Benjamin was about the sweetest thing ever. Little boys have sych a way of being strong and protective over mommy's even when they are just little. When it comes to protecting their mommy, little boys have no fear!

Love his crusty face as well :)

mssinglemama May 9, 2009 at 11:12 am

Did you see the play date announcement on my Facebook page? It's May 30th… at Gooddale park. Hope you can make it!

Bear April 22, 2009 at 6:17 am

Ahh, what a shame.

One of my favorite stories from this past winter involves this blog that I stumbled across… noticed that the author was trying to quit smoking… dropped a comment about my mom's fight with lung cancer, to try to encourage her… checked back and found that she said the comment had helped… decided to stop by again and keep being a pain in the ass, in the hopes that in some small way it'd help some more… saw that she finally kicked the habit… and pretty much just went back to my life.

Until I ran into the author and her son in my local coffeeshop, and my jaw hit the floor, and I said, "Oh my God, you live in COLUMBUS?!?"

I'm afraid the punchline to that story won't work quite as well, once you're a local celebrity. ;-)

(To Alaina's readers who haven't had the chance to meet her: She was gracious in the face of a gaping, incoherent stranger who failed to introduce himself for what must have been a very long time. She remembered me instantly, despite the small number of comments I'd left quite some time ago. And her first question was, "How's your mom?")

Piyapong December 7, 2012 at 2:35 am

am loving all the latke posts and twtees the past couple of days. i’m 38 years old and have never in my life had a latke, and right now i would step on small children just to taste one b/c everyone has me convinced that they are the best thing EVER.alas, in PEI i can get decent curry and good Thai food, but nary a latke in sight. my sister-in-law is Jewish. i think i need to call her and put in a request.

Shannon April 23, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Hello neighbor! I work at the State Library of Ohio in the Short North / Italian Village area. I agree that this is a great place to live as well as being an awesome place to raise a child. It's a big city that feels small, and there's so much to do! The entire Metro Parks system is fantastic, and I love that I can live in the country and still be at work in 30 minutes. I'm a California transplant (Santa Barbara, even) and will never go back. I love the Columbus area that much!

mommy2jl April 24, 2009 at 3:13 am

At first I was just excited because I'd been to Columbus. Then you mentioned Athens and I got giddy!
We go there for a couple weeks every summer to spend time with my family!

So cool to know more about you!

mssinglemama April 24, 2009 at 3:59 am

So cool. Let me know next tim you visit.

Sent from my iPhone

lak April 26, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I thought you lived in Chicago

Nico April 26, 2009 at 9:00 pm

i guess boys and girls are a little different — or maybe it's just our two kids — because i've been writing lately about how my daughter keeps trying to pimp me out! i was seeing someone recently and she got to hang out with him, and kept asking him if he was going to be her stepdad now! i mean, i don't really think i need that much help!

Lori April 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm

WOw!!! I live about 2 & 1/ 2 hours from Columbus in Belpre. Hocking Hills (not too far from Athens is my MOST favorite place to go). That's just awesome that you're so close to home. I read a ton of blogs and have made friends nationwide, it's nice to have a fellow Buckeye in the blgosphere. (I found you from Chrissy's blog- I'm Loriknows.) and I have seen you over at Matt's too. Yay for being outed. If you don't think I'm some blogstalker maybe we can have a Mom/Son play day in Old Man's Caves. My son's 4… Kaleb. Anyways. I'm rambling = )

DHansson April 28, 2009 at 2:23 am

I KNEW you were a GREEK Goddess !

Sara K April 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I've been reading/stalking your blog for a few weeks now. (I found you via Matt and Maddie.) After reading for a while I wondered if you lived here in town. My husband and I live in the Short North. I remember listening to the radio when you were on with Dave and Jimmy. Glad that you "outed" yourself, it confirmed my thoughts. Now I can sleep better at night! :) LOL.

mssinglemama May 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

Wow. That is so weird. Glad you can sleep better too… and I hope you come to my playdate on the 30th. It's on my Facebook page.

mssinglemama May 9, 2009 at 11:09 am

So… are you coming to my play date? I really hope so. It's on May 30th at Gooddale park. The details are on my Facebook page.