Single Mom Friday Zen, IV

by mssinglemama on April 9, 2009

Have you seen the preview for the Where the Wild Things Are movie?

Turns out Max is the son of a single mom, the wild things are… well, I won’t tell you. Watch the trailer. This is probably the first family movie I’ve ever seen that directly takes on a single parent issue like this one.

When you leave a comment you’ll have a chance to win a copy of Rattled! by Christine Coppa.

5.1875 x 8 (.5 spine)

A single mom (and bud of mine) who blogs over at, Christine’s story proves that something you think will be entirely worse can often be entirely better. Read the book (click for an exclusive excerpt) and you’ll know what I mean.

I’m giving away five copies.

Congratulations to Bridget who won last week’s $25.00 gift certificate from Eco Store USA.

==> Loving the Single Mom Zen? Read more.

Karen April 10, 2009 at 2:58 am

Oh i love Where th wild things are. I might even go opening night… and bring the girls too. I am so excited to see how it comes out..

Jan April 10, 2009 at 3:13 am

I'll have to find a kid to take-it looks great!

Heather April 10, 2009 at 3:15 am

I can't wait to see the movie. Can't. Wait.

Love the pics. We had a similar photo-story after our beach trip last year, except we were chasing lizards.

bobbi janay April 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm

One of the things that makes always make me happy is, waking up to hear my baby discovering his voice over the monitor. It is so peaceful to hear my baby growing and discovering new things about the world and him self everyday.

MindyMom April 10, 2009 at 3:21 am

Cute pic story and Yay for the single mom role in the Movie. (hope it's a positive spin!)

TsQuest April 10, 2009 at 3:34 am

GREAT photos Alaina. And yes, the trailer for that movie looks wonderful. We should host a nationwide single-moms-night-out to see it, don't ya think?!

Nydia April 10, 2009 at 3:51 am

Great post! Those pictures are awesome … I've never read Where the Wild Things Are … but the trailer looked so interesting I'm definitely going to take my son to see it …

Nico April 10, 2009 at 4:07 am

That was honestly one of the first kid movies i have looked forward to in a while. And believe me, my five year old rebelangel talks me into a few doozies from time to time. You are such an inspiration, i am learning so much from you and your blog…

Lauren April 10, 2009 at 4:08 am

Love the pictures! I can't wait until Anna is old enough to chase after bunnies! She's just on the verge of walking right now 🙂

Brittany April 10, 2009 at 4:44 am

Sheila April 10, 2009 at 5:04 am

I'd love to win one of the books. She and matt will be at a signing at the end oI the month just down the street from where i work!

DumbestSmartGirl April 10, 2009 at 5:19 am

Chasing a bunny! How fun!!!

Lisa April 10, 2009 at 6:35 am

I was sooo excited when I saw the trailer last week! I have always loved "Where the Wild Things Are." When i found out I was pregnant (17 years ago), it was one of the first books I bought for my son. I miss those days…

Ashley April 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Where the Wild Things Are is one of me and my kids favorite books! We are soooo excited to go see it! And those pictures of the bunny are ADORABLE!

debra April 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Wonderful pictures! I can't believe they kept up with the bunny. It makes me laugh to think of you guys chasing him down, you toting the camera to get the perfect shots. What a fun evening!! You take the 'stop and smell the roses' approach to life with Benjamin to a whole new level of fun! THanks for sharing it!

Raina April 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Love the photos! What a great moment you caught!

Molly April 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

That book looks SO good, I read a snipit of it from Matt's blog or twitter (I'm losing my mind) and I thought it sounded pretty entertaining. Hope you and Benjamin have a fabulous Easter =)

Kim April 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I watched the trailor-AWESOME! I can't wait to see this. With ot wothout child I have to!

Lori April 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm

The new camera is working great! What great action shots and what fun!

newsinglemama April 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Nice pictures! I am thinking of buying the same camera for my birthday. I am tired of my powershot. It's a bit too slow sometimes…
The movie looks really cute.

Spruce Hill April 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I am thinking the Easter bunny was scoping out the neighborhood 🙂

Anna April 10, 2009 at 3:23 pm

re: Where the Wild Things Are… I have the trailer on my ipod because it is soo beautiful. I can't wait.

Janet April 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Aw, I love bunnies. 🙂 These pics are so cute. I'll have to check out the movie trailer. I wonder if Daniel's old enough to go to the movies yet?

notasoccermom April 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm

aah to be a kid again. love that you were there to capture that

Margaret from NM April 10, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I tried to take my daughter to see the easter bunny at the mall yesterday for a keep sake photo…but she ran in the opposite direction with a look of horror on her face that I have never seen before, LOL. I am glad your son is not afraid of bunnies, but I guess he wouldn't be as long as they aren't 6 feet tall and wearing an ascot and glasses 🙂

Abby Carter April 10, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I took my son to see Monsters vs. Aliens (in 3D) yesterday and they showed the trailer for Wild Things. Even he seemed psyched to see it. Go figure.

Fun bunny pics. How fast did you have to run?

Mary April 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Great pictures!

The trailer is so exciting! It is one of my favorite children's books.

I read Storked as well and just love her blog!

Lauren April 10, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Love the music in the trailer. Perfect bunny Easter story.

becca April 10, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I just started reading your blog and you're really inspiration to single mothers. I'm not a single mother nor a mother at all just a 19 year old college student that enjoys reading about your adventures with benjamin 🙂 keep it up I enjoy reading them!
from chicago

christine April 10, 2009 at 6:01 pm

how sweet are they? love this.

mssinglemama April 10, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I know! Aren't those two just the cutest?

Jennifer April 10, 2009 at 6:31 pm

That story was too cute! I didn't realize that they were making a movie of where the wild things are. I might have to check it out. Thanks!

cyndi April 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I had no idea they were doing a Wild Things movie! N is WAY into animal shows, live animals, not cartoons so we can't wait for the Disney Earth movie to come out in a couple of weeks. He makes me play the trailer for him over and over and over.

Love the pictures!

Pisceshanna April 10, 2009 at 10:02 pm

OMG Spike Jonze is directing it????? AHHHHH I'm so there! I think it will probably make me cry, but that just makes it so much better doesn't it?

Jen April 11, 2009 at 1:50 am

Those are the cutest pics. I haven't read Where the Wild Things are since I was a kid and I haven't purchased it for little man yet. I just showed him the trailer and he's pretty excited to go see the movie.

angela April 11, 2009 at 2:48 am

read the excerpt, would looove to win this book from a fellow single mama!!!

Kim April 11, 2009 at 2:37 pm

We have that book at home! Can't wait to see the movie..

Cute pictures, Benjamin looks like he's having tons of fun.

Amber April 11, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I can't wait to read Rattled! I have been waiting for this book.

Where the Wild Things Are was one of my favorite books as a kid and my 2 year old now loves it. Can't wait for the movie, hope it gives the book justice.

And as for Ann Coulter…I used to get really upset about her black and white opinions. But honestly, now I feel bad for her bc she sounds so pathetic. And the vast majority of women thinks shes a fraud and ridiculous, as they should.

PS~Hows Mia doing??

mandi April 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Your photos are looking great. And I love Chrissy's blog! It"s actually how I found Matt and matt is how I found you. So cool. Happy Weekend!

Sarah April 13, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I love those pics. My little guy (who just turned 19 months) runs faster than I could have imagined. Were you out of breath from chasing them? 🙂

Jennifer Thuncher July 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm

As a divorced mom of four, I get really sick of the movies, such as Liar Liar, which end with the divorced parents getting back together. I don’t know anyone who has reunited but I know a lot of kids who look sad at the end of these movies when their reality is so different. Glad WTWTA had a single mom!!