Shoot.

by mssinglemama on March 29, 2009

On Friday I took the morning off so I could get ready for my 11:00 a.m. photo shoot.

After Mia (she’s so awesome) took Benjamin to daycare my friend Del (just as awesome) came over at 9:00 a.m. to do my make up. And in less than two minutes my kitchen table looked like a salon.

img_0652

For the photo shoot itself I picked my favorite designer jean boutique. The manager, Kevin, has been in the “jean business” for over 25 years. When I walk in he whisks me straight to a table with straight leg, dark wash beauties that make me squeal like a little girl. Then he set me loose on the rest of the store to find the perfect top.

Needless to say, there were a lot of options.

img_0683

I can’t show you which outfit I did choose because I forgot to have someone take a picture of the shoot on account of my nervousness it’s a surprise. While I was getting dressed and attempting to do my hair the photographer walked in with just a few things.

img_0672

Then it was time for me to smile for nearly an hour straight while also maintaining slightly awkward feeling but natural looking poses.

img_0663

There’s one more shoot left. This one is a group shot of all of us in a local martini bar.

I have a few dresses up my sleeve but I may buy a new one. Any suggestions? Something I can have in hand by Wednesday. What about Target? Sometimes they have incredibly cute martini type dresses in there.

Later that night Benjamin and I went to the movies with Sydney, Mia and Mia’s friend. Benjamin needed some air in the middle then refused to let go of this gun.

img_0765

Something about that picture scares me to death.

The first time Benjamin picked up a gun, a Nerf I bought him, he aimed, spread his little feet apart, raised his arms to the perfect height and fired.

I know he’s a boy but are men really born with the wiring to know exactly how to aim, shoot and fire? Us boys and girls are so very different from the beginning, aren’t we?

P.S.

I finally found the time to read the instructions up on my new camera so the pictures will hopefully cease to be so blurry.

1. Sextards and Wankers.
  2. Single and Fabulous (?)
  3. Polka dot love.
  4. Mia’s Story Part III
  5. Mia’s Story, Part I

{ 1 trackback }

Out
April 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Nina March 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm

yes, they are. I have 4 sisters so having a boy – alone – was a bit intimidating. I recommend the book: The Wonder of Boys for some insight. and he says in there most will pick up anything and make it a weapon without any training on that.

notasoccermom March 29, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Congrats on the photoshoot. that is so fun- and nerve wracking and crazy! Im so excited for you. But then you are probably getting pretty used to the fame <wink>.
Dont worry about the guns— we are also in the age of blinking lights and pretty things that draw their attention. Worry maybe if he picks one out at the local sportsmans warehouse.

won March 29, 2009 at 3:13 pm

As a photographer, I suck at being on the side of the camera you write about. I totally understand how nerve bending it is…

Will you be able to post the photos when they out?

mssinglemama March 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Yes… definitely. After it comes out though. ; )

If I have to I'll take pictures of the spread but I think the photographer will let me post some as well. Should be out in a few weeks (I think). For the May issue but they usually come out earlier.

Irishmom March 29, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Boys are definitely hardwired! I avoided "guns" , the toy kind I mean for many years. But, my ingenious child made his own, out of lego, sticks, even bread crusts. (I lie not!). He still manages to aim and shoot any object that vaguely looks like a gun. And I promise, I hate guns and what they represent. It's in the genetic makeup. For sure. I have a daughter too and she has yet to have ever used a toy to simulate a gun. That's enough proof for me. Can't wait to see your photos – bet they're awesome! :)

Sheila March 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I am constantly amazed at the things my little guy does … I grew up with 2 sisters and had no idea what to expect from a boy, and he is SUCH a boy. Just instantly attracted to cars, trucks, dirt, machines, etc. It's been a lot of fun, though, watching him do what he does naturally.

Can't wait to see how the photoshoot turns out!

When I got my dslr, I kept my cameras settings on auto for the longest time, then moved to P, and now I'm learning manual. I've learned the most by reading Pioneer Woman's tutorials, and by just fiddling around with the camera. You'll get a lot of blurry photos along the way, but it's all part of the learning process.

mssinglemama March 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Yes… and the instruction manual helps too! Definitely will check out Pioneer woman's tutorials – I didn't know she had them! And I love her!

And yes, HOORAH, for boys. Thank goodness we're so different, wouldn't have it any other way.

Rebecca K. March 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm

You haven't told us which Magazine it's coming out in ?? :)
Does that need to be secret too?

mssinglemama March 29, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Yeah.. Because it's a local magazine. I keep my location under wraps to keep psycho killers at bay.

Sent from my iPhone

Jasperblu March 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Ooooh A, I can't wait to see the pics!

And yes, little boys are TOTALLY wired different, from birth they know how to pick up a gun, or pretend to have a gun, even if they've never seen one in their life. I don't know why that is, but it just is.

Thank G-d for our differences. :-)

Lindsay March 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Since, I'm new, I'm kind of out of the loop. What is the Photo Shoot for?

singleworkingmommy March 29, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I have never, ever talked about guns, he barely watches TV (and when he does, it's PBS) and yet he still shoots things. He doesn't call them "guns" though, but instead a "shooter." I tell him we can't shoot people or animals, but we can shoot rocks and sky. Whatever. I don't know what I'm doing half the time!

As his father often explains it to me, Son was "born with a shooter, it's only natural."
Heh.

bird March 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Dress suggestion:
Anthropologie Detour Dress. Looks fab on everyone. Cute for dates and work. You'll wear it again and again! Worth the splurge!!!!

mssinglemama March 30, 2009 at 12:07 am

Woah. Look at this one! Not for this shoot but for summer date nights:

Abbie Toy March 30, 2009 at 1:08 am

The gun picture cracked me up completely:) I'm a 28 yr. old single mama of a 3 1/2 yr. old little boy – and if there is a gun of any type in sight…my little man will grab it and make "shooting" noises! Where in the world do they come up with this?? I think it is engrained in their DNA:)!!

bird March 30, 2009 at 1:17 am

ooohlala! so cute!!! oh i say get it and get a cute cardigan at target to wear with for your photo shoot! You can never be overdressed! Better to be the cutest one in the pic and get a dress you love, love, love! You'll feel good.

new single mama March 30, 2009 at 2:03 am

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Carol March 30, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I had a dream the other night about my little 3 month old boy — in the dream, his first word was 'Gun'. And he said it with a slight evil look. You can imagine my surprise & worry!

mssinglemama March 30, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Yikes! That is so scary. Probably just your maternal fear of your boy growing up to be at the shooting or receiving end of a gun. I worry about it often… my worries are more that he'll be drafted for WWIII or something.

Not that it would be bad to serve or country I would just be a fricking mess with worry.

Susan March 30, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Hi- I can't wait to see your pics….I kept scrolling hoping to find one.
Do you take your camera everywhere you go?
Thanks…and looking forward to your pics.

Susan March 30, 2009 at 4:23 pm

How about this? Not sure if you wanted dressier?

mssinglemama March 30, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Not dressy enough but that is ADORABLE. I especially like the Ivory one – would be awesome in the spring with some skinny jeans and it's only $28.00.

Thanks! And yes, I'll be posting the pictures after they're published.

ModernSingleMomma March 30, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Your photos are looking gooood. Very proud of you for taking my camera advice. I wasn't wrong, was I? !

Mel March 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Congrats on your car news! Just read your congrats from Matt and had to check it out. Great job!