Single Mom Friday Zen, II

by mssinglemama on March 27, 2009

Buy yourself something.

Every once in a while, buying yourself a big present is totally okay. Especially when – nearly three years later – you’ve paid off the massive debt you assumed when you realized your bankrupt ex-husband’s credit card was also in your name.

If you do splurge, pass on the fancy jeans and new shoes for something like a camera so you can capture moments like this…

img_02731

You’ll stop to let them happen

img_0293

even if it means your kid will be soaked to the bone.

img_0479-splash

Because who wants to go to the park when there are puddles to be had?

img_0401

And then you’ll be completely surprised when your little Fun Haver finally stops, crouches down and says through chattering teeth, ”Home Mommy. Let’s go home.”

img_0548-cold

And then during his race to warmth,  you catch his face

img_0564

seriously, seriously pissed that with every bit of joy in life there’s always a dash of pain.

Like freezing toes and a soggy diaper.

But it sure is nice to have a mommy around to make it all better.

1. Single Mom Friday Zen
  2. Breaking Single Mom Love News
  3. Single Mom Beauty Tip: Your Smile
  4. The Single Mom Dating Conundrum.
  5. Single and Fabulous (?)

{ 1 trackback }

Hindsight
September 22, 2009 at 11:29 am

Victoria March 27, 2009 at 11:37 am

Love the pics! You had hail too, huh?

My Friday Zen is Bean serenading me with some nonsense song while she plays, and Miss O opening my file drawer to extract random papers. Then looking pleased as punch with herself as she lets a boatload of gas rip.

Hope you have a nice weekend ahead of you :)

Ms. Single Mama March 29, 2009 at 3:06 am

BLAH. Hilarious. Benjamin discovered farting not too long ago. I'm assuming his father taught him because it definitely wasn't me.

Funny joke to play on your ex or something. Teach the kid how to fart and laugh at it… knowing full well his mom can't STAND that.

Victoria March 29, 2009 at 11:00 am

I think it must just be the age … Bean is ~ Benjamin's age, and farts are just funny, in spite of my most prudish efforts to discourage it. Miss O doesn't think they're funny, I don't think, just enjoys the feeling of release and the noise. On second thought, that's probably just what makes them funny – the noise. Either way, enjoying one's own "pootle" , as Bean calls it, is definitely something I hope they outgrow soon!

S.A.W. March 27, 2009 at 11:43 am

The white gravel looks like hail in that first picture…
Nice pictures and insightful commentary.

Time to make the sippy cups…

Ms. Single Mama March 29, 2009 at 3:07 am

What do you mean by make sippy cups?

S.A.W. April 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I meant it was literally time for me to go fill sippy cups for my kids.

josie March 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm

i love that my camera has a "children" setting so i can catch those moments until i splurge on a photography class for me. adorable pics.

Laura March 27, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Congrats on the CAMERA!!!!! enjoy and keep it with you at all time, you never know when that perfect shot will appear.

April M March 27, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Yay for presents for yourself! Today, my present is a manicure, a trip to Old Navy, and a date with my fav boy toy. LOL LOVE LOVE LOVE the Friday Single Mom Zens. Keep 'em coming!

abrookshire March 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I LOVE his sweater! Great pics as usual!

Katherine SOLOdotMOM March 27, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Beautiful pictures.. Alaina… once again… this is great.

April March 27, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Great pictures. Definitely would make a cute photo book.
What kind of camera did you purchase? Thinking of newer one myself.

Rebecca March 27, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I think you have the cutest son on the internet. Dinkpopsnomore has the cutest daughter. If they should ever have a playdate together it would be an overload of cuteness :)

mssinglemama March 30, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Thanks so much! That's a HUGE compliment. I think he's the cutest munchkin in cyberspace too – but I'm TOTALLY biased.

Junctionmama March 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Love the pics!
What camera did you buy? I've been thinking about splurging on a good camera…

TsQuest March 27, 2009 at 2:36 pm

What a wonderful post!! I love your little guy… sad face and all! Great pics! Its good to see you're enjoying your new camera!

Shannon March 27, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Please do tell what camera you purchased. It's lovely…just like Benjamin! I dropped my digital camera in a river to save B from falling off a cliff about 4 years ago. And it survived. So I've been reluctant to let it go, since I have this silly thought that it supported me saving B. But I really do need a new one.

Sheila March 27, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Yay! Congrats on your new "baby" … you'll have so much fun capturing those little cute moments. :)

Irishmom March 27, 2009 at 3:55 pm

He's so gorgeous! And I too have a little one who loves any collection of water or puddles he can find. What is your camera? Congrats, it's something that I really want to invest in – a good camera. :)

mssinglemama March 27, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Okay everyone:

The camera I just bought is VERY expensive (in my humble opinion) – I paid just under $700.00 for it but it's a professional camera (well, probably more amateur) but you get what I mean. There is no video camera included – it's top of the line. BUT – clearly the pictures are astounding. It's a Canon Rebel XSi and here's the link.

/>
Now – before this camera I used a Sony CyberShot which has a fantastic video camera, which you've all seen the products of on this blog. And the photos (my old ones) were on that camera. This is much more affordable and usually runs around $279.99 – but plan on spending $330 b/c of the memory card, etc. This is an awesome middle range camera. Here's the link for that one:

christine March 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm

nice choice! my ex has this camera, and i agree, it is fantastic. he is an ass but at least i get some nice pictures of our girls now and then.

benjamin is always so well dressed. :)

Ms. Single Mama March 28, 2009 at 1:14 am

Urgh. Those links aren't working…

Trying again –

Canon Rebel: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55m

And the Sony Cybershot:

Nina March 27, 2009 at 3:56 pm

great pictures. I have loved having my son make me slow down and enjoy what is right in front of us rather than running to what I thought our goal should be. and taking pleasure in simple things. its magical re-experiencing the world it seems as adults we rushed past and forgot about.

Mary March 27, 2009 at 4:07 pm

LOVE the pictures. Benjamin is adorable.

Also, I am 25 and still can't resist jumping in puddles. Way to be the awesome mom who embraces and encourages that.

BTW – congrats on the continued smoking ban.

won March 27, 2009 at 4:09 pm

As a mother who has lost a child, I commend you on your approach and attitude. I commend you on your priorities. So many mothers would worry about getting wet, cold, dirty. What a joy to see you allowing your son to be a boy and offering unconditional acceptance and love, and nurturing his love of exploration.

One of the things I am most pleased with is the time I allowed my late daughter to play hooky from school. At a young age, I knew it wouldn't be detrimental. As it turns out, the memories she left me with are priceless treasures.

I acknowledge you for what you're doing. Way to go.

mssinglemama March 27, 2009 at 4:30 pm

No. I commend you. For being here, for going on, for breathing… I can't even imagine the pain losing your daughter would bring and for you to commend other mothers. That is incredibly inspirational. Thank you so much.

And I'll be by your blog for sure… here is the link everyone:http://brokenwon.blogspot.com/

Amanda March 27, 2009 at 4:59 pm

sometimes just reading you blog is my Friday Zen, thanks so much :)

Amy in Sedona March 27, 2009 at 5:05 pm

These pictures make me happy. It really did just brighten up my morning : )

CME March 27, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I am loving this post and those photos, especially the pouty face. Thanks for reminding me to stop and enjoy the little moments, instead of hurrying so fast through life. I've been reminded of that several times in the past week and think that someone is trying to tell me something. Thanks for the Friday Zen, I'm loving it!

wyliekat March 27, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Wow – that's a beautiful post, both in content and visuals. So well done!

Pisceshanna March 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Wow that camera takes a doosey of a picture! Of course its your artistic expression as well :)

marleysmomma March 27, 2009 at 8:09 pm

love the photos…now to the camera…i was given one just like it as a gift from my mother and i dont have the guts to tell her i have NO idea how to use it. I have taken 3 pictures with it but i had to keep backing up because i have NO idea even how to zoom out. I have a Canon Powershot which is much more my speed but she thought i would really enjoy something better. Which i would if i had any clue as to how to use it. Any suggestions on where to begin? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Love reading your blog. Have a AWESOME weekend. I will be think of you and Benjamin tomorrow when i host my daughter, Marleys, third birthday party. I am sure there will be plenty of cocktails consumed. Enjoy!

mssinglemama March 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Good for you! Have a fantastic time.

I would say – find a YouTube tutorial on the camera your mom bought you before you buy a new one.

Canadian Bald Guy March 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Awesome pics, MSM. The look on his face in that last one is priceless.

movin down the road March 28, 2009 at 12:10 am

fabulous. We all three take photos all the time. I ended up with three digital cameras, so each girl has one and I have one. Even indoors, taking photos is fun!

Lindsay March 28, 2009 at 12:40 am

She is so beautiful and precious photos! I wish I could take pictures like this!

Janet March 28, 2009 at 12:46 am

You are such a cool mom! I love these pics. :)

Jen March 28, 2009 at 12:58 am

Great pictures! I always let my son find every puddle possible to jump in no matter where we are and where we're going. I figure he's only a little boy once :)

Jaelynredwolf March 28, 2009 at 1:02 am

Hi Alaina, I love those pics! He is the cutest! My son Hunter loves puddles too (as all boys do I am sure LOL) I hope you will come visit my blog, I just started it. I sure could use some friends! Its lonely out here in cyberspace. I love your blog, I haven't commented much yet, but I am finding reading single mama blogs and writing in my own is good therapy (lots of anxiety and left over post partum depression that never got treated :-( – I am going to fix that though.

Cant wait for the next post! Hugs – Jenn

Spruce Hill March 28, 2009 at 1:04 am

I like the pictures, I love new toys!

Kelly March 28, 2009 at 1:34 am

Okay, so I just found your blog at the perfect. I'm going through a divorce and have a 5-year-old son. Honestly, I really couldn't have found this blog at a better time. Take a look at my blog and you can read my story..it's almost too flippin awful to believe..really.

Love the blog!! can't wait to read more.

notasoccermom March 28, 2009 at 1:38 am

absolutely precious! I need to get a camera!

karen March 28, 2009 at 2:38 am

that has got to be the cutest little mad face!

Tammy, Slidell, LA March 28, 2009 at 3:09 am

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks (found it on Matt Logelin's) but I've never commented. I totally envy your being so laid back with Benjamin. I would have been so up tight if my son wanted to splash in puddles and no less in cool weather. "No! You'll ruin your shoes. No! You'll catch cold. No! No! No!" (He's 25 now.) I spent my time disciplining him instead of enjoying him. He turned out GREAT, but there are a lot of things I missed out on now that I see how you are with Benjamin and how Matt is with Maddy (even as young as she is). I'm taking notes for whenever (if ever) I have grandchildren!

mrs boo radley March 29, 2009 at 12:10 am

Oh my. Oh my oh my oh my. That brings back memories of puddle stomping. I love his sweater!

paula April 8, 2009 at 2:10 am

i love that my camera has a "children" setting so i can catch those moments until i splurge on a photography class for me.I have posted some related topics on kissBBW.c o m.There are amny big beautiful women,they are rally hot and sexy.