Neither here, nor there.

by mssinglemama on February 26, 2009

I’m not sure where this little vacation will take us.

But our much needed reprieve from life will be just in time to catch the Joshua trees blooming.

joshua-tree

Spring hits early there.

The Joshua Tree National Park lies directly in the path of two merging deserts. One more lush and green, where the Joshua trees grow, and the other dry and filled with cactus and shrubs.

The past and the future.

Lately mine have been going at it. My past will always be a part of who I am, as it is for all of us, but it needs to move into the back seat and let the future drive. I’m not sure why – maybe because I’m about to turn 30 or maybe because I’m just ready – but I have an overwhelming feeling that something is brewing, something big.

But first, my future has to beat the shit out of my past.

I’m hoping it leaves all of those shattered pieces in that desert.

P.S.

I am completely prepared for this flight, thanks to you. We’ve got wrapped present surprises, books, flash cards, movies, a spare outfit, a car seat, a stroller and tons of sugar-free treats.

Not quite sure what I’d do without all of you.

And thanks again for cheering me on in my fight against the evil nicotine. I’m still winning. Cold turkey, baby, and I feel fantastic. Finally. 9 days later.

I’ll be back with tons of stories and pictures on Tuesday – 3/2. In the meantime, keep up with me on Twitter. I’ll be posting updates there. And if you’re bored as hell check out the Best of MSM with all of my favorite posts.

No related posts.

{ 1 trackback }

Self-portrait
February 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Squiggly February 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm

You go, Alaina. There's nothing like a complete change of scenery to reinvigorate the mind, body and spirit. Hope your time away is full of marvelous adventurous and memories that will last a lifetime. You deserve it.

Christine February 26, 2009 at 2:02 pm

enjoy your trip! can't wait to hear how it goes and see the pics!

Katherine SOLOdotmom February 26, 2009 at 2:53 pm

looking forward to all the new tales that come from this vacation!

Bear February 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Enjoy a well-earned vacation. I bet the air smells amazing. :-)

Irishmom February 26, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Turning 30 is a big milestone in life and also astrologically significant. (if you're at all interested in that…). This trip will give you clarity I'm sure – sounds like you have needed the space and time to make decisions about your future. You are your son's rock – his only rock. This is what gets me up some days – knowing that I cannot rely in any way on my husband to be any kind of stable influence on my two children. I am it. It's definitely overwhelming at times but as you've pointed out in your story, it's worth giving them something better than something that is not worth it. You go girl – enjoy your trip (flight and all – I've survived every trip overseas on my own because my husband was too much of a wimp to accompany me and saw it as a time to "have a break"…. That speaks volumes doesn't it? Have fun. Thinking of you both, Tricia :)

PhenomenalMama February 26, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Enjoy. Sounds like this could be a profound time for you.

My past and future always seem to be at war with each other. If you figure out how to win that particular battle, please be sure to share.

Meighan February 26, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I'm really sad that I missed this meeting by a few short weeks. I just left the land past the joshua trees, home of the desert tortoise. I liked it there. I turned 30 there, welcomed a new son, and am now starting a new adventure in the deep south. Good luck!

Canadian Bald Guy February 27, 2009 at 1:10 am

I'm not only a little jealous at your journey to Cali, I'm also a little jealous of the spiritual journey that you are taking right now. We all know that the future will eventually win…but it's the journey to put the past where it belongs that always makes things interesting.

Enjoy your trip!

Julie Messinger February 27, 2009 at 1:18 am

Just found your blog via Matt's blog. I kicked the smoking habit too…HARD but so incredibly worth it…especially for your baby's sake. That is how I did it…thinkin' of the babies!! Keep up the fight…it is never ending!
Hope you had a great trip out to CA. :)

Nicole February 27, 2009 at 2:02 am

Enjoy your trip!
I hope you find the clarity you're looking for.
If you do, then I'll know there's some hope for me. :)

Solomother February 27, 2009 at 2:24 am

Have a wonderful trip, lady. And you know what? Thirty rocks. And forty is looking good, from where I sit. Congratulations on quitting smoking. I did it once, and the only thing that stops me from picking it up again is the knowledge I'll NEVER go through quitting again.

DesperatelySeekingMe February 27, 2009 at 3:02 am

You will love your 30's. All the lessons you learned in your 20's take on new meaning and you just get so comfortable in your own skin (at least that's how I feel 2 years into them)
And WTG on quitting smoking! That is amazing!!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Amy February 27, 2009 at 4:17 am

CONGRATS on being quit NINE DAYS!!! You ROCK~~!! Hoping you both have a wonderful vacation and post lots of pics :)

Shannon February 27, 2009 at 5:37 am

Have a great trip!! I am so excited and proud of you for making it 9 days. :) It gets easier I promise. As for turning 30 I think you will like it a lot. I thought being in my 30's was going to be horrible but I am totally in love with it.

wyliekat February 27, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Enjoy your time away! It's hugely therapeutic to go on a vacation in a mulling mood. Or it was for me when I did it.

Melody February 28, 2009 at 12:42 am

But first, my future has to beat the shit out of my past……best thing I've heard in awhile! I LOVE IT! Hope you had a smooth flight! They always are interesting with little ones.

anita ovolina February 28, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Picture looks great! Hope you'll have a great time away.
Looking forward to hearing about your vacation when you get back :)

Retina March 2, 2009 at 4:30 am

Mmmmm…. I'm having Friday kick the shit out of Monday. Friday's my friend. Monday sucks and deserves a good beating. People United Against Monday (P.U.A.M). Use violence if necessary. What ever it takes. PUAM, BAM, SOK, KICK.