No place like home.

by mssinglemama on February 7, 2009

There is no place like home, but I need to get out of here – for longer than 48 hours.

This time I’m taking Benjamin with me. We’re going out to California at the end of the month to hide away from the world in Joshua Tree National Park (no offense world, but you can be annoying and those Joshua Trees look pretty cool).

joshua_tree_national_park

This will be our first vacation together and Benjamin’s first flight.

I am still in awe that we are even able to do this – to take a vacation. Financially speaking such a thing would have been absolutely impossible a few years ago. I found some incredibly cheap tickets though and we’re renting a place outside of the park. Rather than shopping or paying for a hotel, we’ll be hiking and eating packed lunches.

Aside from persuading the coyotes to adopt Benjamin into their pack, I’ll be trying to find a pet lizard for him and maybe even a cactus or two. Oh, and I’ll be completely unhooked from the internet – a very good thing.

On my last day, we’ll be heading back to Los Angeles to meet up with that Matt guy for a picnic and you’re all invited! I’m super excited about it but can’t tell you where yet — but I can tell you it will be in the afternoon on March 1st. So save the date. More details soon.

Speaking of Matt Logelin, he needs your help.

And because the economy sucks and wallets are tight – the Liz Logelin Foundation, a charity for widows and widowers with young children- has set up an easy way for you to donate. Get over there and check it out. At the very least, join his Facebook Group and spread the word to your friends.

In other news…

Morgan Siler, aka Modern Single Momma, a very dear blogging friend of mine has arrived in Kentucky with her man and her son. Visit her blog to see pictures of their road trip all the way from Portland.

Not sure who is coming to see who yet but I can’t even believe she’s living so close to me now. And we were both mentioned in this article in the Chicago Tribune today. It’s actually an excellent piece on being a dating single parent. You should definitely check that out.

And I’m about to attempt to make a tuna casserole for my little Benjamin. Wish me luck. Phew.

What a messy post. Hope you got something out of that.

Just had a lot to share.

{ 1 trackback }

Moral Dilemma
February 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Melissa Chapman February 7, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I just watched the video you did with Matt- think you've got a new career for yourself! But next video I want to see Matt turn the tables and interview you! Enjoy your vacation- you are one brave Mama-Benjamin is one lucky boy! And hell yeah you deserve to be one of the top 100 influential women bloggers- your blog ROCKS! It is a unique voice that really distinguishes itslef from the masses of blogs proliferating the web– I love how raw and uncensored you are:)

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 4:08 am

Thank you… really, thank you so much.

Anna February 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I’m jealous! That vacation sounds like heaven…and the picnic idea sounds like a blast! My son will turn 5 GREAT BIG GIANT years old that day…so we’ll be partying too…just on the east coast! 🙂

Anna February 8, 2009 at 1:21 am

I'm jealous! That vacation sounds like a blast! My son turns a GREAT BIG GIANT five years old that day…so we'll be partying too, just on the east coast! 🙂

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 4:07 am

Five? That is scary as hell.

Amber February 8, 2009 at 2:08 am

I totally bought those shoes!! And a pair of brown flats, AND a pair of tan mary jane heels. Target is my happy place. PS have fun on vaca. Ill look forward to how it went. And hows Benjamin and Maddie get along!

Christina February 7, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Well, I have only just “met” you online, but I have been lurking at Matt’s place for awhile and I think it’s awesome that you are coming out to So Cal for an adventure 🙂 I’m down in San Diego and grew up in The OC (before it was called THE O.C. ;-)) and I know you will love Joshua Tree. The desert here is one of my favorite places to be.

Oh, and those shoes? Adorable! I may just have to hit Target tomorrow.

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 3:53 am

Hey everyone – some of your comments are missing. Weird.

I'm on it.

Stay tuned. And my apologies.

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 4:06 am

That's SO cool. Don't you love them? I should have bought them in both colors.

Apples February 8, 2009 at 6:20 am

Cool! You are going to be in my neck of the woods! Keep me in mind if you do plan a get together.

Sheila February 8, 2009 at 8:20 am

I hope I get to meet you all!

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Me too! Save the date, okay? You too Apples.

Ms. Bar B February 8, 2009 at 9:14 am

Its my first time here and I really enjoyed myself, mess and all =). Hope you have a great time on your trip!!

Lesli February 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Flying with little ones is easier than it sounds….and don't give in to disapproving looks from passengers–either they don't have kids or they're just plain rude–probably both. I've flown with both of mine on 3-hour flights (from ATL to Portland) and they were fine–just pack lots of snacks and "surprises" (new toys that will keep him entertained for more than five minutes). We are heading to Vermont in a couple of weeks to ski / snowboard–and this will be their first trip where we're not staying with friends or family–just the 3 of us + you-know-who. Wish me luck and I'll do the same for you!! : )

SingleParentDad February 8, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Cool. A holiday with the boy, very exciting. Joshua Tree place sounds lovely, and to totally switch off connections with everyone else to focus on Benjamin also reads wonderfully.

Enjoy.

Ms. Single Mama February 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Yes & Yes. Can't wait to just focus on him. He needs an undivided mommy for at least a few days.

No dishes. No work. No laundry. Ahhhh…. can't wait. Just wish it could last for longer than four days. But it's a start!

Amanda February 8, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Target should pay you for the adversiting. Haha. 😉

They are cute shoes. I might just have to go check them out.

thewarriorpoets February 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I started taking trips with my Ben last year. What an amazing time. At one point we were walking into the hotel, hand in hand, and he looks up at me and says, "Dad, I love spending time with you." Dang, kid. You can have whatever you want. We're planning on Vancouver this summer.

You guys will have a blast… and you're right… no internet for a while will be a good thing.

Ms. Single Mama February 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Oh, Vancouver! Kristin of Better Now (http://www.betternow.typepad.com) lives there… I really want to visit her as well. What a beautiful story.

Ms. Single Mama February 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Definitely wishing you luck!

Thanks for the tips on the new toys – bought some at Target today (from the $1 bin). Already tucked away and ready for the suit case.

mssinglemama February 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm

You should! They are SO cute.

ModernSingleMomma February 9, 2009 at 12:31 am

MIss you!
We need to talk soon…

Kelli February 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I bought those shoes in tan and I'm wearing them today! They need some breaking in but I love them.

Ella and I are in San Diego, so not far from Los Angeles!