Old Man Winter

by mssinglemama on January 21, 2009

Please, please go away.

We’ve been in some kind of a deep freeze for weeks now and I made the big mistake of checking the weather forecast today — and it’s not good. This cold snap isn’t going anywhere. Which means I have to spend another weekend inside with little Benjamin.

I’m running on fumes, tired as hell lately and have exhausted all indoor entertainment options. He’s even bored with his new easel. I could sit here and bitch about the following things a single mom must endure in the absence of a man such as; freezing my ass off every morning while I de-ice my car, paying yet another outrageous heating bill solo or having to haul my garbage out in the middle of the night only to come back inside with frozen snot and a shudder like no other.

But all of the above pales in comparison to this cold hard miserable fact –

I can’t wear my new suede boots.

There – I said it.

While the world is crumbling around us — something I spend an incredible amount of time fretting over — while people are clearly suffering, I am sitting here day dreaming about a snowless day when I can wear my new boots again.

I should burn in hell. Immediately.

But when a girl doesn’t have a man – especially when she has a little man – nothing makes her feel better than hot ass new boots. Hell. Told you. Hell. Don’t worry, my day will come but I’m bringing the boots with me.

—-

Last weekend after I wrote this post I woke up on Sunday morning and realized our entire day was free. Then I had a brilliant idea.

“Hey Benjamin – let’s go sledding!”

“What Mommy?”

“Sledding. You know. Oh, you don’t, do you? Okay, hold on – let me show you.”

I pulled up a YouTube video of a kid sledding.

“See, you sit on the sled and go whizzing down a hill.”

He got the picture and we were out the door in a flash (a minor miracle, usually there’s at least 15 minutes of protest).

We ran through Target shouting, “SLEDS! SLEDS! Where are the sleds?!!!!!!”

That was fun. The best part about motherhood – not giving a shit what anyone thinks, well, for me anyway. If he’s happy, I could care less. And sometimes I have to act like a raging lunatic to make him happy. And besides kids like lunatics who scream. They can relate.

Twenty minutes later we pulled up to the little sledding hill. We lost his mittens weeks ago so I put some socks on his hands. He thought it was cool. And then surrounded by all of the dutiful fathers on the hill – no mothers in sight – Benjamin and I whizzed down that hill.

And I screamed my ass off.

It was unbelievable. We went again and again and again until Benjamin’s sock mittens failed him and we had to jump back in the car.

These father jobs are actually pretty cool. I’ll have to start learning even more.

Just wish I could do them all in my sexy boots.

1. The birthday scramble and single mama shopping.
  2. Chaos and calm.

~Monica January 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I loved this post!!! I can totally relate to the hating of the garbage can pulling late at night in the cold … and those awful mornings hearing the garbage truck pulling up and realizing I have forgotten to put the full-to-the-brim can out. Don’t even get me started on the recycling that I have forgotten to put out for months now. Ugh.

Anyway … when you said, “I pulled up a YouTube video of a kid sledding. “See, you sit on the sled and go whizzing down a hill.”

PRICELESS!!! I am going to have to do that the next time I need to explain something that can only be understood by a small child by viewing. YAY for YouTube!

Bridgette aka New Single Mama January 22, 2009 at 12:27 am

This is a very sweet entry. I’ve been worrying a lot lately that if I do have a little boy how everything will be for him without a father or a male role model type around. I think it seems most guys who were raised by single moms are some times deprived of “Daddy” activities because Mommy or whoever doesn’t wanna get dirty. It’s nice to see that you’re showing your son how to have a little Daddy-like fun, and also that he was really excited about it and appreciated it!

Lauren January 22, 2009 at 4:02 am

Ugh, the cold needs to go away NOW! The deep freeze went into full swing right after I got home from an amazing weekend in TX earlier this month, so I think the weather is extra depressing than it usually would be :(

SingleParentDad January 22, 2009 at 4:43 am

The dads’ stuff is fun, but shouldn’t be limited to those with dangly bits. Yo go girl.

And can’t you get a spray, or some sore of sealer for those wicked boots?

Kati January 22, 2009 at 7:32 am

You crack me up. I have new boots too and it finally got cold enough here so I could wear them. I am sure that is not what you wanted to hear. Gotta love Houston winters.

Happy Thursday!

Matt T. January 22, 2009 at 7:47 am

SingleParentDad is most definitely a man. How do I know? Only a man would see boots like that and think, “Those suckers need some Sno-Seal!”

And, well, so did I.

(Actually, Nikwax isn’t too bad for suede/nubuck. I used to use it on my ol’ nubuck Rockports.)

Dawn January 22, 2009 at 9:15 am

I’m the mom on the snow hill with Wonder bread wrappers covering my nice boots. I so get the thrill of the ONLY mom out there on the powdery snow. Best time of the day is two until four in any kind of deep freeze weather.

Junction Mama January 22, 2009 at 9:24 am

I LOVE IT!
I can totally relate to all of this.

And I don’t know where you live, but here in Canada we have had the longest cold spell, I feel like I’m going to lose my mind being inside all the time with my 10-month-old.

Nomz January 22, 2009 at 9:26 am

I was just thinking today that I am more ready for summer than I think I’ve ever been…and Im pretty sure that old man winter has not begun to shake his angry fist yet…at least here.

That is such a fun idea! I wish we had some snow to go along with our cold to go sledding! :D

Thanks for the smile today lady. Good luck on the indoor activities…

Oh PS-LOVE the boots. ;) I dont think you go to hell for loving boots.

MySingleMomLife (Nikki) January 22, 2009 at 9:31 am

So there with the ‘man’ things that I have to do…like…putting chains on my truck, and I second taking the garbage out in the freezing cold, and what else do I wish a man was around for… I’m sure there’s something. ;)

Also…tip for de-icing…Start your car, turn the heat up full blast, and just let it run for a while. It will de-ice. Promise. :O) Cuz I HATE de-icing my truck.

I’d so love to go sledding, but this year my little miss loathed being anywhere near the snow. Quite a joyful journey with her standing in the snow yelling and crying at me because she’d rather be anyplace but by me, standing in that ‘stuff’, watching me try to put the chains on my truck so that I could get out of my cooped up condo! Because I can’t leave her in the condo by herself whilst I try to make us mobile. Frozen tears and boogs all over her face. Juggling crying baby and attaching chains…somethings just cannot be multi-tasked. REALLY REALLY would have appreciated a set of man-hands at that moment.

Sara January 22, 2009 at 9:36 am

Love your blog! I am also a single mom starting over and have recently started blogging about the journey! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome boots by the way!

littlemansmom January 22, 2009 at 9:55 am

This post was AWESOME! I can totally relate…and it’s so nice to hear the happiness and fun in your tone…

kristen January 22, 2009 at 10:20 am

Since when is sledding a man’s job? Dealing with the car and the garbage, yes. But sledding, it’s anyone’s game.

Zoeyjane January 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

I would totally wear the boots inside, just to, you know, break them in? ;)

pisceshanna January 22, 2009 at 11:13 am

In Colorado, you see dads, moms, grandmas and their neighbors all outside in the snow. The exception is my own grandmother who is from Oklahoma and delcares she almost DIED driving to walmart every time it snows.

Rock on Alaina, you and Benjamin can have indoor fashion party with your new boots if its too cold! I’m sure he won’t mind ;)

noringsattached January 22, 2009 at 11:20 am

Love this post and LOVE the boots!!!!!

One of the many reasons why I cant imagaine leaving California-the weather here rocks!

oh and the acting crazy part? I do it all the time and my daughter couldn’t be happier-we spent Christmas day walking around disneyland with tiaras on our heads-she thought it was the coolest thing ever!

Ali January 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Love this post…I have been sledding with my little man three times so far this winter and have yet to see another mom/woman there. Crazy! Last time I brought along my snowboard for good measure and boarded down and ran up after for my workout of the day.

And totally agreed re: acting like a freak at Target. Been there, still doing it with a 9.5 year old. Only now it is to purposefully embarrass him! :)

cyndi January 22, 2009 at 5:12 pm

This entire post just made me smile and laugh. I love just getting caught in the moment with the N-Man and going with it. Like last night when our lights were off and we ate cupcakes for dinner by candlelight on the living room floor. PERFECT!!

And LOVE the boots. Stupid no-suede snow.

pgoodness January 22, 2009 at 7:27 pm

great post!

we might get to go sledding this weekend – not sure who is more excited – me or my boys!! I haven’t been in YEARS!

And I love the sign of the times – pulling up YouTube vids to show kids what we mean!!

Shana Mama January 22, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Where did you get those boots? They are fabulous!

mssinglemama January 22, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Shana:

Click the picture and it will take you right to the page on Nine West.com. Mine were much less, found them on sale in Chicago.

And they actually slouch. The do not stay up like that… but I LOVE slouch boots, better than booties I think. More my style.

To everyone else:

SO glad you enjoyed this because I had fun writing it! I was cracking myself up. And glad I’m not the only single mama trapped by Old Man Winter. You all made me smile today with your sweet comments and for that – thank you!

J-Fo January 22, 2009 at 8:07 pm

This post cracks me up. Nat and I actually got “approached” by a random stranger (guy) at Target the other day. In the midst of his, “I actually want to ask you out but am afraid to” small talk, he asked me if I take Nat sledding. I wish I’d have had a video cam record the look I must have gotten on my face when asked this question. Something in the family of “F#ckkk, no. I HATE winter!” Kudos to you for being the sledding mom. My pat answer when asked if we can go is, “Oh, I am SURE Dad will want to do that when you see him!” I’m so over this snow. :) And, yes, great boots!

Single Mom in New England January 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Great post! That was so fun to read. We’ve had 2 major snow storms here recently – I just bundle my little 3.5 year up in his snowsuit til he can’t move, and away we go!!!

Single Mom in New England January 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm

…being pulled in his sled by me of course

bobby January 23, 2009 at 8:16 am

Hey, who says that suede boots aren’t just as important as a crushing global economy? lol

Oh, and I’ve done the sock thing for my hands also. Unfortunately, I only had one pair, so my feet were freezing ;)

Kristina January 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Hahhha
“we lost mittens weeks ago so i put socks on his hands”
Classic my daughter and I went sledding today complete with socks on her hands…i thought I was the only one! awesome afternoon, but true to your post full of many fathers…lots of fun!!! (if only the stiletto boots would make it up the hill!)