Dear Ms. Coulter:

by mssinglemama on January 15, 2009

I tried to ignore her.

Not wanting to fan the flames or give this story any more attention. I also didn’t want any of you to hear her words. So I brushed Ann Coulter under the rug. But after dozens of e-mails from all of you and even my little brother I decided to respond with a video.

I took it straight to CNN’s iReport, hoping to get more traction there. [And secretly wishing this way she may actually see it, I know - fat chance - but... she started it!] Do me a favor – check it out and then rate it so we can keep the video on CNN.com’s radar for a few days.

Most of all, I really hope this response puts some of those demons she raised to rest for you. Because I know – believe me – that hearing words like hers can hurt, even if they’re coming from a crazed political pundit. But I think my points will douse those flames and hopefully spark some positive discussion.

Now go watch the video.

I also wanted to highlight some of the best posts I found responding to Ms. Coulter from the single mom blogosphere:

If you want to add your blog response to Ann Coulter please leave a link in the comment section. I know there were so many and I want to read all of them.

Plus this would be a nice spot to collect all of them beauties! Leave comments too, I want to know what you think about all of this.

1. Dear Lurkers:
  2. Dear Single Men:
  3. Dear Senator Obama: Please stop spamming me.
  4. Your Turn…
  5. Online Dating Etiquette: How to break up…virtually.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Julie & Ann « Cost of Living
January 16, 2009 at 11:02 am
Autumn & Jerry » Blog Archive » Straight Up (Sweetly)
January 16, 2009 at 1:47 pm
Tune in…
April 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Momartfully January 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm

You go, girl.

Here’s my response (not video).
“Jesus Should Have Been in Jail (Ann Coulter)”

Others, elsewhere:

Single Mom’s Open Letter to Ann Coulter

Bad to the Bone

Dear Ann Coulter: Thanks For The Shout Out

Zoeyjane January 16, 2009 at 12:05 am

You know, I read the follow-ups after the first day and seeing her words in print, all I could think was that I pitied her. Because one day, her ‘realities’ will crash around her and everything she believes so strongly in, even if just for media attention, will cease to be true. She’s SO lost.

She just doesn’t know it, yet.

Anonymous January 16, 2009 at 4:29 am

Ann Coulter is very severely psychologically disturbed. I believe that she did not receive the attention she needed growing up, and she thought the two ways to get it were to be pretty and to be smart. She is neither, so her life is spent overcompensating to prove that she is. Hence the dysmorphic body image, where she tries to make herself look like a barbie. But what’s worse is her desperate attempt to be smart.

There are two types of academics: those that are truly smart and gifted, and those that work really hard and get through. (NOTE: I am not mocking the latter, except maybe in Ann’s case. Their determination to exceed their ability is admirable! Nor am I saying that the smart and gifted don’t work hard–they do!)

In Ann’s case, she simply does not understand the science of research. She so desperately wants to, and wants to be taken seriously as an intellectual, but she does not understand that CORRELATION does not equal CAUSATION. None of her statistics prove anything beyond the fact that she doesn’t have a clue how to interpret them.

As most of us know, the correlation/causation fallacy is when we take events that have two or more traits and then say that one of those traits caused the other.

For example: I wear a heart locket and have never broken a bone. Therefore, my locket prevents my bones from being broken.

The obviously response is, “Duh.” Of course not. And you can’t blame societal problems on single mothers. What IS scientifically relevant AND statistically proven is that crime goes up when the economy goes bad. And the political right DOES get most of the blame for that one.

(Anyone else see a huge war between the financial conservatives and the social conservatives brewing? I think the financial conservatives are getting ready to kick the Sarah Palins and Ann Coulters to the curb.)

Bear April 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Regardless of how many different types of academics there are, Ann Coulter isn't one of them.

Dawn January 16, 2009 at 5:00 am

Imagine if the animal kingdom were plagued with this insanity.

Ms. Single Fox might be ridiculed.

O Solo Mama January 16, 2009 at 5:33 am

Great I-report and I’m glad you responded. You raise so many issues in such a short space of time and as one reader said, you were not hectoring at all.

The Maryland study says that single moms with education and income spend as much time with their kids as marrieds. It’s being poor with a crappy job that puts you at a disadvantage here. Again, the influence of economics. I’m going to be interviewing the authors of that study. I’ll pass on the link.

Thanks for the pingback too, Ms Simgle Mama!

LTP January 16, 2009 at 8:13 am

Alaina, as always, well said! I posted the video from CNN on my FB page and told all my “friends” to check you out.

As for Ann Coulter, she is an idiot–and if anyone is “bitter” (as one of the commenters on CNN said about you), it’s HER, not you. The ex-boyfriend and I used to argue about her….he thought she was so “hot” and she made me want to vomit. Anyway, I do not put an ounce of stock into anything that woman does, says, writes, etc. She’s a drama-hound and will likely end up and old, alone, and childless. Karma…..

Oh, and btw, I’m going to share your video with the ex-bf, too. He is a single dad so I’d be interested to know how he can reconcile her comments with his “high” opinion of her! : )

Nina January 16, 2009 at 10:12 am

you know I went to a very “religious” conservative law school. the majority of the professors there argue that the only way THE ONLY WAY according to them and God (because he speaks to them you know) to raise children is in a married (man and woman) household OR SOCIETY IS GOING TO HELL! not that that religion believes in hell. I’m actually embarrassed by that viewpoint because 1. I know several same sex couples that have much better relationships than many man/woman relationships and think THAT ( a good relationship) is what kids need to be around 2. they don’t look at anything else in the “studies” that show all the bad things kids do who are raised by single parents like socio-economic class, education levels, legal/criminal history of the family regardless of whether the father is involved – all of which have been shown to have significant impacts on the child’s criminality later in life. so…people like that aggravate me but also make me feel sorry for them because the truly knowledgable and educated people I know find them to be laughable. and they (the ludicrous) are all self-righteous in their “this is how god said it should be” but god also said they shouldn’t judge so…it’ll be interesting at the great end to see how it all shakes out but for me and my son I KNOW he is better off without a depressed, alcoholic of a father around.

but I’ve also never liked Ann Coulter – have you watched her crazy eyes? she should wear shades or something…they creep me out. skittering all around…focus FOCUS WOMAN AND JUST LOOK AT ONE PLACE. that’s the true sign of a criminal…they can’t ever make eye contact ;)

pisceshanna January 16, 2009 at 11:10 am

Thank you Alaina, you are so brave for putting your face out there. I wrote about this today and linked back to your page. Thank you again for your amazing soul.

mssinglemama January 16, 2009 at 11:47 am

Anonymous and Nina:

Yes… her research skills are lacking. And I totally understand that the child of an impoverished single parent is more likely to be at risk of committing a crime. But she needs to clarify that and come up with some solutions rather than just blaming, blaming, blaming.

She’s the real victim here. The victim of her own delusional thinking.

I appreciate all of your positive feedback and thanks for passing this on Pisces Hanna and LTP!

Tami January 16, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Look at Barack Obama….HELLO!?!?!?! Ann Coulter.
Until you have BEEN there, as far as Im concerned you have No say.
Strikes a fire with me for sure. She is obviously an ignorant peron.
Kudos to you Alaina! And all the single parents out there!!!!

MindyMom January 16, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I was so hot about what she said in her interview with Matt Lauer I posted my thougths to my blog within the hour! Here’s my link!

Sheila January 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm

The sad thing is that there are lots of people who take Ann seriously and the reason she keeps getting attention is because she bumps up ratings.

She is a tool for ignorance.

MySingleMomLife (Nikki) January 16, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Two Words:

You Rock. :O)

We (me and my babe) love you! Thank you for being our advocate!

yvonne January 16, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Good job!!!!

Dee January 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Great response!! Thanx ;o)

Elisa January 19, 2009 at 8:08 pm

That was amazing. I love that you spoke calmly and told her exactly what the truth is,with a lot of class and poise. because she is completly out of hand. She has no idea what it is like to be a mother, or a single mother . I hope she sees that .

Kat Wilder January 28, 2009 at 12:41 am

If you haven’t read the book … or at least the chapter .. you really can’t talk intelligently about what Ms. Coulter is saying. All you’re doing is reacting to her bombastic talk, which is the way she sells books.

Please, read the chapter.

I’m no fan of Ms. C, but she uses facts and research that liberals and conservatives have been using for years. And just so you know, she does not include divorced mothers (like you and me) or widowed mothers in the “single mom” category; this is an important distinction if you’re going to respond to what she says.

Here’s my response: http://blogs.marinij.com/katwilder/2009/01/single_moms.html

Ms. Single Mama January 28, 2009 at 4:37 am

Hi Kat:

I’m not responding to her chapter per say – but her media escapade. In which, she has had plenty of opportunities to make that distinction and passed it up.

As a result – a majority of people will not be reading her chapter at all – and we’re all left with her blasting single moms in television interviews.

That’s damaging – for us. So that’s where I’m coming from with this.

Thanks for the link.

Manic Mommy April 11, 2009 at 2:50 am

Loved this–you are very articulate, classy and graceful, all traits Coulter lacks! Am late to the game, but I had to share my opinion with the lovely Ann Coulter as well when this happened. You asked for links, here it is.

And just discovered you through Matt's blog, and through the tragedy of Heather and Mike's Maddie. (I'm in Chicago too – western 'burbs – will you be at BlogHer!?