Remarkables…

by mssinglemama on January 2, 2009

I just got home from my trip to Chicago.

The reason I went?

To meet this guy

And he is just as remarkable as I had imagined.

That’s Matt freezing his ass off before we went to the top of the Hancock… and here’s me freezing my ass off , happy as can be just because I’m standing in front of a big happy tree.

There’s also something about this city that is beyond magical.

We only had one afternoon and evening to spend together but we also managed to meet up with this amazing single mom blogger (who I couldn’t snap a picture of because my camera’s battery died. URGH.)

Side note: If you live in Chicago keep your eye out for January 13th’s edition of the Red Eye, they interviewed me for an article on being a dating single mom. I’ll need someone to scoop up a copy for me…

I would write more but I’m going over to Mia’s house.

We’re going to watch Sex and the City (a momentary band aid for any woman who’s suddenly found herself single) and we’ll probably down an entire bottle of wine. Your comments to Mia’s “Letter to the Other Woman” have helped her tremendously. The letter has also been making it’s way across the internet — being posted as far away as Manila (I apparently have readers there – astonishingly beautiful readers by the way). I would link to them but it’s a password protected site.

Then tomorrow it’s off to pick up my little man… who is having the time of his life at Grandma’s – where today he spotted wild turkeys all on his own. How does a 2-year-old spot wild turkeys you ask? He sneaks off up the drive way – finds them hiding behind his uncle’s truck and then runs down the hill shouting in pure excitement to tell his Grandma. Amazing.

Life is pretty remarkable if you think about it, despite all of the pain it throws at us.

Without the pain we would not be able to feel the joy. And if you hadn’t guessed by how excited I sound, this trip was just what I needed to snap myself out of my little New Year’s funk.

And to all of you lurkers who came out of the closet I’ve read every one of your comments… just amazed out how remarkable each and every one of you are – and I’m so incredibly flattered that you’re here.

To 2009 and to single parents… may this year bring us the strength to not just go on, but to make all of our dreams a reality.

Dawn January 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I’ve been on the same vibe … and I met a guy too. Actually, I take that back, I just looked at him a lot. He’s from France. I was thinking of you the whole time.

Anna January 2, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Glad you’re out of your funk and that you had a fabulous trip! Happy New Year!

littlemansmom January 2, 2009 at 7:31 pm

welcome home honey…..and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Here’s to wishing you everything your heart desires this year….(and perhaps a little extra too… lol)

J-Fo January 2, 2009 at 8:44 pm

So happy you guys met up! Give me a shout when you’re settled in at home!!

Laura January 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm

How lucky to meet to really cool people!!!

I would SO love to be able to wear a coat like you have on – I LOVE IT!! Its just never cold enough here!

Ms. Single Mama January 2, 2009 at 11:52 pm

hey everyone – just wanted to clarify that Matt is totally taken… Check out his blog if you haven’t already. It is – by far – the most amazing blog I have ever read.

Thanks so much for the well wishes!!!

Sheila January 3, 2009 at 12:21 am

Matt’s blog IS amazing. I’ve been totally captured by his story ever since I first found out about him. And he has the most beautiful little girl!

Megan January 3, 2009 at 6:35 am

I love Chicago. I live 3 hours away but sadly never get to go much anymore. Glad you had a good time!

Fraizerbaz January 3, 2009 at 10:04 am

Oh wow! He’s a cutie! He’s got a nice smile, and warm eyes. Shoulda had someone take a picture of you two next to each other, so we could see what the both of you look like together (as a couple)…

Fraizerbaz January 3, 2009 at 10:06 am

Oops, just read what you wrote above about Matt being taken. Doh!

Fraizerbaz January 3, 2009 at 10:17 am

I just read some of Matt’s blog. Oh man. My heart. I am speechless. Matt if you are reading this, my heart goes out to you.

Angel January 3, 2009 at 10:43 am

Hey! It’s Matt! I’ve been reading his blog for a long time now. He IS amazing. I’m so glad that you guys got to meet and hang out.

TwelfthJen January 3, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I found your blog through Dawn’s blog, Morse Musing. Good stuff! Congratulations on starting your New Year off with a bang and hope it goes great for you. You’ve got a new reader! πŸ™‚ My blogs should be linked up here too, if you ever want to drop by.

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) January 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm

So glad you had such a great trip! Now more about Matt, if you will?

Take care… come to Virginia soon, ok?

bobby January 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Glad that you had a good trip. I’m even gladder (is that a word?) that I have helped, even so slightly, to de-funk the beginning of 2009 πŸ™‚

Jessica Bern January 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm

As a single mom, I thank you for the good wishes and back at you. Unfortunately, we all belong to a club we never intended to join but I agree with you. It’s time to start living life again and I’m determined to do so.

Your “voice” sounds so happy and I think that is wonderful. You deserve it. Happy New Year!

Heidi (Singleworkingmama) January 3, 2009 at 11:58 pm

You were not far from me, Ms. Single Mama! πŸ™‚ Sounds like you had a great trip – I’m ready to get back on the blog train now that I decompressed for a few days. Happy New Year!

Shiona January 4, 2009 at 12:11 am

Chicago is so awesome! Everyone I know who has been there or lives there just loves it πŸ™‚ Glad you are getting out of your New Year’s Funk

mssinglemama January 4, 2009 at 8:25 am

Heidi! NO way…

Jessica – that’s the spirit.

Shiona – you should go.

Frazer Baz – : ) . It’s okay.

Everyone read Matt’s blog please… and Happy, HAPPY, New Year!!

Megan January 4, 2009 at 9:52 am

his blog is good.

mssinglemama January 4, 2009 at 10:56 am

Oh and Laura – I LOVE that coat too… but it’s my friend’s. Wish it were mine. I needed a super warm one for the windy city. : )

GLSD January 4, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I found your blog through storked! back in Nov and left you a comment there. I found Matt’s through storked! too πŸ™‚ Been reading but never comment. Happy New Year filled with much love, health and happiness πŸ™‚ and so glad you got to meet Matt in person! I love his blog and Maddy is gorgeous and adorable.

SingleParentDad January 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Can’t make my mind up which of you two I would rather meet.

That settles it then, you’ll both have to come visit!

Leah January 4, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Sounds like such a spectacular trip. So glad you had a terrific time. Here’s wishing you and everyone who visits you a beautiful, joyous, character-building 2009! πŸ™‚

angela January 4, 2009 at 10:05 pm

that’s awesome you came to Chicago!!! I live here or nearby,.. thanks for sharing all your awesome single mama-ness… I just became single ( ok, a lil over 6 mos ago, after leaving an emotionally abusive relationship) …it’s not easy, and You see the light!!! you have a great smile, and make me see it can be fun too not only hard work!!! thanks, happy ’09!!!

Beth January 5, 2009 at 6:58 am

weird… i just finished reading matt’s blog then popped over to yours to see him again!
glad to hear the new year is starting off on a happy note for you! i absolutely love reading your blog and i hope this new year continues to bring much happiness! you deserve it, girl!

Random Esquire January 5, 2009 at 8:16 am

ARRGGG. I’m sorry we weren’t able to meet up! I’m glad you had a good time despite the cold weather and that you are feeling good.

Thought of you immediately this morning when I saw that news bit about the 4 year old in Ohio.

And just tried to give your We TV a five star rating but the website isn’t letting me. THAT IS A FIVE STAR PIECE, DAMMIT.

Lisa D January 5, 2009 at 8:17 am

Happy New Year – glad you got to spend some time w/ Matt & some other single mamas!

Here’s to 2009 being a great year for you & Benjamin!!!

pisceshanna January 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Awww I’m jealous! I got to hang out with my first single dad this new years too, though, so not so jealous. You both look wicked cold, but I’m sure it was worth it. Those lights are magical. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

O Solo Mama January 8, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Happy New Year to you, Alaina, and what a wonderful pic of you and Matt and the Chicago skyline. I’ve got relatives in Chicago and it warms my heart to see you both there! Smooches and best wishes!
Jess

Christopher January 12, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Hey. Found your blog through another blog that I found through this other blog…

All that to say that while I wouldn’t initially think that the main topic of your blog would be that rivetting to me, I found that your writing style and insight lead me to reading entry after entry.

I decided to comment here to confirm that Chicago is the most beautiful city in the world… though I may be slightly biased.

Excellent writing. I’ll be checking back.