A note from the war zone:

by mssinglemama on December 22, 2008

Benjamin has a severe flu – puking, puking and puking.

We had to go to the grocery store today. Had to… there were things we needed like saltines, popsicles and sorbert ice cream. He nearly puked in the cart. I made this video after we got home and he passed out.

(Thought you all would like to see my vulnerable side, because I do have one – we all do).

P.S. Benjamin is improving, so no worries, but he’s still very, very sick.

1. My worst enemy…
  2. Online shopping – my only option.
  3. What’s a single working mama to do?
  4. Cigarrettes, men and some major trust issues.
  5. How to Date a Single Mom, Part 4

{ 1 trackback }

Brilliant Star in my Hemisphere « Morse Musings
February 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Snarky Lady December 22, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Ah…yeah. I’ve so felt that. And since I’m a non-traditional single mom, I have help. But sometimes I don’t want it. And sometimes I do. But I’ve been there. And I hope Ben feels better soon. Poor guy! {{hugs}}

Seth Simonds December 22, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Ever seen “Love Actually?” The part where the guy uses storyboards with the Christmas music?

Only yours was raw and real and right h.e.r.e.

I hope Benjamin is quick to finish healing and that you find some smiles!

Seth

ModernSingleMomma December 22, 2008 at 7:02 pm

I so wish i was there for you. If I was living in Lexington I would drive straight up!

I know how you are feeling….this was a beautiful video.

Jonathan December 22, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Arty, cool and authentic. Thank you.

Brenda December 22, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Wow! I don’t even know what to say because it would seem repetetive and quite redundant because I know ~exactly~ how you feel.

I stumbled upon you blog when one of my friends became a friend on Facebook. I’ve already blogrolled you and hope to keep reading more!

Angie December 22, 2008 at 7:56 pm

I am sorry it sucks so much :(

What I want to know…How do you manage to still look so put together and gorgeous through the yucky flu? Big Virtual Hugs sent your way :)

PT-LawMom December 22, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Gallon Ziploc Baggies. Always keep one in your purse and one in your glove box. Take it from a Mommy who knows… ;) And never, ever, be afraid to abandon the cart to flee to the closest garbage can. We have done that, too. The joys of parenting! Hope he gets well really soon!!!

Laura December 22, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Sorry your little man is sick! Its not fun at all :(

Hope he is right as rain asap!

Erin December 22, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I’m sorry your little guy is so ill. It has to be one of the worst feelings in the world when your child is so sick and there is nothing really you can do to make them feel better. BTW, love the Pinback song! Loro is my favorite one by them.

mssinglemama December 22, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Thanks you guys – he’s asleep but keeps waking up. Glad you all like my slightly cheesy video. Just had to put it out there, sometimes I don’t feel so strong. But at least we have groceries!

Heidi (Singleworkingmama) December 23, 2008 at 3:49 am

This really hit me. We all have our moments. ;-) Be proud!

Angie December 23, 2008 at 7:07 am

I’m sorry to hear about Benjamin. Big Hugs!
We all have moments like this and you are entitled to feel that way. Remember my moment from a week or two ago.
Hang in there!

wyliekat December 23, 2008 at 10:12 am

If you didn’t have those moments, you’d know for sure you hadn’t left any room in your life for someone new.

littlemansmom December 23, 2008 at 10:16 am

Poor little kitten……

Jennifer December 23, 2008 at 10:33 am

It stinks that you don’t have someone to help you out, but you know that you are not alone. We are all here for you! I can cry with you (because I almost did during that video!). I think that we all have our highs and our lows. It just stinks that your low is when your baby is sick! Thinkin about you….

Lisa D December 23, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I agree w/ Seth – right away it made me think of Love Actually.

It is brave of you to let yourself be vulnerable and to show that vulnerability to others. That means you are strong enough to know that you can have those days & can tell people when you need help or need some extra encouragement.

I feel most single when I am sick – it would be nice to have someone rub your shoulders or go pick up some ginger ale or saltine or whatever for you. I feel that way I am responsible for no one besides myself.

Sending positive thoughts your way & hoping that Benjamin is better very, very soon!

Dawn December 23, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I hope he is feeling better. If I had gas, I’d drive down and help however you needed.

Hugs

carmen December 23, 2008 at 5:21 pm

thank you for this. it touches the core of those dark nights when things just feel too damned hard. the morning always comes, but sometimes the night lasts a really long time.

yours in solidarity.

mssinglemama December 23, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Just read my original comment and deleted it. SO many typos and lots of babbling.

Thank you Dawn and Morgan! Wish you could get here.

I’m just so glad I’m not the only one who feels this way – I knew I wouldn’t be, guess it’s just nice to know I’m not totally alone.

I love Love Actually, didn’t occur to me until after shooting this. I was honestly looking for a quiet way to communicate b/c Ben was passed out. (FINALLY).

We’re still sick. Very sick. Thought we were in the clear earlier this afternoon but it didn’t last. Babbling again but at least there are no typos.

Dawn December 24, 2008 at 8:38 am

Good God I loved this video. Worth a thousand words … I got goosebumps! I just had to post it on my blog with the following words:

Here’s a glimpse at the wishes of a single mother whose little son is sick right now; she’s a friend and master of a blogger. I adore her ability to show us her vulnerable side. I also get a little fright when I think she’s going to find Mr. Right and leave her following of cool single moms. Where would we gather and share our insight?

Seriously, you are just too cool not to find the right dude!

East Coast Mama December 24, 2008 at 8:59 pm

This really got to me. I have been feeling the same way alot lately..it’s SO hard.
My son got rotavirus last summer and ended up dehydrated. We spent the night in the hospital so he could get some fluids in him. Trying to keep a toddler in a bed for 24 hours was NOT fun.
I get so tired sometimes..doing it all by myself.
Sigh.
Hang in there, you’re not alone. ;-)

MySingleMomLife December 25, 2008 at 12:53 am

Thank you…for putting in a video, what my heart screams…so often.

Suzanne B. (Crunchy Green Mom) December 25, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Thanks sweet heart!

You are…

*beautiful
*strong
*intelligent
*warm
*independent

You are a friend to many, an inspiration daily and a blessing to many of us going into 2009!

Thank you, for the advice, and the honest adoration!

We love you.
Thank you for being vulnerable.

Dawn May 22, 2009 at 4:29 am

aahh. two days ago I found myself and my daughter riding in the back of a car with potential man driving…driving us up the mountain for an adventure with a good soundtrack and no seatbelts. My child was nested so close into me (the only advantage of no seatbelt) and for several moments, I felt what it was like to be taken care of. To rest. To be perhaps so cherishable that one other might do the right thing.

Michael November 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Perhaps if you were not a single mother your child would have someone to look after him and you could afford top of the line medical care and the child’s suffering need not be that great.