To lift your spirits:

by mssinglemama on December 10, 2008

Slightly random but cheerful stuff to make you smile…

• Here’s an article I wrote for Single Minded on being a single mom over the holidays. I wrote this weeks ago – hadn’t read it again until now. And, it actually just cheered me up. Odd. Me cheering myself up. Any hoo… I’m completely insane – just ignore that part – and hopefully you’ll find some great tips on how to get through the holidays while being solo and childfull.
  • And this, my lovelies, is an absolutely fantastic piece writen by Kristin on Work It Mom. She found a study actually proving that single moms spend just as much time, if not more time with their kids, than married moms. Reading this just gave me some kind of closure I didn’t even know I needed.
  • A picture of our Christmas tree, which I managed to actually get up early this year. Yes, now, is early. I caught Benjamin gazing into the lights the other night – mesmerized. A few hours later he was smacking it with a pillow though, so I’m not quite sure how he feels about our new friend.
  • On a completely unrelated note (did I already tell you I’m crazy), there’s a production company out in fancy schmancy Los Angeles looking for an instant family. If you know a childless man or woman who is marrying a single parent with kids (the more the merrier) who would like to be on national TV e-mail You can live anywhere in the U.S.

And last but not least…

a Merry Christmas to you all from my adorable and very practical toddler (sorry I held the camera sideways and I can’t rotate it back around in iMovie without losing half of the picture).

Still priceless though and proof positive that two stockings are better than three!

UPDATE: He’s dressed like a girl (tights and a sparkle shirt) because he had just gotten home from his best friend Sydney’s house where he plays dress up. Can’t believe I left that out before. Um, yeah, crazy.

T December 10, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Cute video!!
Beautiful tree!!

Thanks for the cheer up messages. Hope they helped you too.

badmuthablogger December 10, 2008 at 9:22 pm

OMG that video with the stockings is too adorable for words! I just wish you’d taped him smacking the Christmas tree with a pillow – that would have been a riot!

Olive February 4, 2015 at 10:58 am

Offerd us a37.500 then asked for a further a3800.00 for sinspah taxes upfront what a cheek or should i say cheats when we refused they put the phone down the company is called excalibur we have allready paid them a31300 so called a returnable deposite.

Juggle Jane December 10, 2008 at 11:18 pm

GREAT holiday article!! This is my first holiday season as a solo in 11 years and I’ve been having (more than) a little anxiety about it. Thanks for the tips!

Sheila December 11, 2008 at 12:24 am

I needed to see that article by Kristin, as I am preparing to embark on my twice weekly 4 hour commute. Thank you for posting it – it made me feel all kind of better, and I hope you feel better, too.

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) December 11, 2008 at 8:04 am

Thanks for sharing Alaina and I am jealous… your tree is just gorgeous.

Kati December 11, 2008 at 8:31 am

Great book to buy is The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I cannot put it down. Cutest video!

Lisa D December 11, 2008 at 8:36 am

That video is so cute! So funny when he bites it on the linoleum!! What a little cutie!

Jennifer December 11, 2008 at 9:23 am

Oh my goodness! That video was too cute! It made me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing.

mssinglemama December 11, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Isn’t it hilarious? I’ve watched it like 5 times today. Can NOT get enough of my little man, I tell you.

If only I could cook him up in a soup or something.

Everyone – if you haven’t already please read Kristin’s article. Super, super good stuff.

And tks for the comments!

Heather December 11, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Haven’t read the article (yet), but HAD to comment that my lil’ one does the SAME thing with the stockings! And my thoughts were the same… two stocking ARE better than three!