Toil and Trouble

by mssinglemama on November 11, 2008

The newspaper headlines aren’t improving.

We are in trouble.

It seems every day a friend tells me they have or may get laid off. And last night I got an e-mail from one of you, a single mother, who rather than taking on a second job is considering moving in with her boyfriend to save money.

Maybe we can all get some ideas from each other, practical money saving or job saving ideas for single moms… how are we going to do this? Morgan, Modern Single Momma – who as we speak is on a plane to see her Man in Moseley (now Kentucky) – went so far as to skip a salon wax for an at home Brazilian. OUCH.

Aside from groceries, some entertainment and clothes for Benjamin I’ve stopped spending money all together.

I know, that’s like the worst thing I can do for the economy, but I’ll leave all of that good faith spending to the two-income married couples thank you very much.

Any ideas? I know Barack Obama has a few – but, as he’s said himself, it’s not going to be easy. And while they’re all trying to figure this out in Washington I think we all need to hunker down and brace ourselves – i.e. save, save, save.

And would you consider getting a roommate – a manperson or maybe a friend – to help you pay the bills?

For more of my worrisome banter read Apolcalypse Now? in which I ask if any of you feel like you need a man to help out or if any of you want to start a single parent commune with me.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Remember Kate and Allie? « Sparkling Single Mama
November 11, 2008 at 12:57 pm
Coffee and a slice of humble pie « Single mamas rock
November 11, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Carolyn November 11, 2008 at 8:15 am

I am trying to move in with a single friend of mine (a woman) to save money. I don’t know how I would begin to make ends meet on my own with two kids while I go back to school!

My money saving tips: breastfeeding and cloth diapering.

But truth be told, both of those were easier when I was not a single mama. Now I have to supplement with formula when I use childcare or when the baby is with his father.

And cloth diapering has halted until I get a better tumble dryer. I’m using a second hand one now that takes sooo long to dry that I’m sure it’s more expensive to dry the cotton diapers than using disposables for now.

Dana November 11, 2008 at 8:32 am

I’m going to move in with my bff, who is also a single mom with a child who’s a month younger than mine. We’re going to be like a gay married couple, only not married and not gay. Expenses for both of us will be radically slashed. My ex just got laid off, too, without warning, so child support money will be sketchy. Having a roommate is the only way I’m going to be (mostly hopefully) sure I can make ends meet.

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) November 11, 2008 at 9:37 am

I am grateful for my house and reasonable mortgage payment, but would consider the single parent commune!

Tight times… us sp’s we are used to that!

T November 11, 2008 at 9:37 am

I love the single parent commune idea. I’ve always thought it was a great idea. Have you heard of this group: http://www.co-abode.org/

I mean… they do it with senior communities… why not single parents?!?!

Sheila November 11, 2008 at 9:50 am

I think the only solution for me would be to find a roommate, but I like my privacy too much, which is probably the wrong attitude to have!!!!

pisceshanna November 11, 2008 at 10:08 am

I was debating on moving from my 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom or a studio. The idea of losing my deposit for breaking my lease almost kills me though. Plus my daugther has her own room. Maybe I should just suck it up and get a roommate.

CME November 11, 2008 at 10:39 am

I am one of those that just may get laid off. I’ve been looking on Craig’s list for roomates, just in case. If I do get laid off, I will need to figure something out quick as unemployment will barely cover my rent. San Diego is expensive!

Heidi November 11, 2008 at 11:20 am

I’ve considered taking on a roommate. It would definitely put a cramp in our day to day lives, but would be a tremendous help financial. I’ve also checked out http://www.co-abode.org, but haven’t had much luck with it. Part of the challenge is finding someone who you can live with in harmony. Not an easy task, especially when kids are involved.

Brooke November 11, 2008 at 1:33 pm

In August I moved in with a friend who has a much larger home than C and I had. C and I each have our own rooms. Neither my roommate or I are home a lot, so it works out really well!

I’m TOTALLY in love with the idea of a single parent commune. Just let me know where I’m sending the movers!

mssinglemama November 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Wow! So envious of those of you who have awesome roommates.

My friend Julie and I were totally going to do it – but she had already signed a lease when we met. Her place is too small and mine is too small for both of us…

mssinglemama November 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Oh, and has anyone ever tried Craigslist.com to look for single mom roommates?

Jojo's Mama November 11, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I started to Penny Pinch a while ago, and I even started doing Yard Sales every other Saturday or So… it’s cool for Gas. Hey! One Single Mom’s Junk is another Mom’s Treasure….

Valerie November 11, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Times are tough but we shouldn’t move in with a boyfriend unless we are absolutely sure about him. I thought I was sure and was struggling financially a few years ago (I still am, just not as bad). Asked my boyfriend to move in, and he completely changed when I got pregnant. It was much more difficult to leave him because he lived here. I depended on him for half the bills and letting the dogs out when I was working late. He ended up leaving anyway and I have made do. I still have tons of his stuff taking up a room upstairs that I need for my son and I don’t have the time or energy to get it out of my house. It was not worth it.

Wyliekat November 12, 2008 at 7:47 am

My younger sister lived with me for a time, when I was first starting out solo. It made a huge difference and I liked the fact that it was “family”.

Leah November 12, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I’ve had to have a housemate pretty much since ex moved out. I had one for a year and it didn’t work out so well. She was a mom but her kid was grown and she didn’t have much patience for my 3 yo. She moved out at the end of last month and now I am looking for a single mom housemate — anyone in Washington, DC? 🙂

I’ve tried coabode too and not sure why there is not much going on there.

Leslie November 17, 2008 at 1:22 pm

My job cut everyone down to 4 days a week for a couple months and it’s hurting, I’m also probably on the next cut list. I feel ill looking at my check but I should be grateful to have it right now. Really need to get creative.

I wish I had an extra bedroom – I’d rent it to a friend who works nights in a heartbeat, we’re ships in the night anyway trying to talk to each other!

Hang in there y’all.

Escuela February 3, 2015 at 4:41 am

Magnificent goods from you, man. e58d81e4baŒe7”Ÿe8‚–e7š„e590abe4b9‰ | Angelmake Blog I have understand your stuff proeivus to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a great e58d81e4baŒe7”Ÿe8‚–e7š„e590abe4b9‰ | Angelmake Blog informations.